S-EBTM2017: Helsinki (28.-30.7.2017) - General Information

Forum to discuss all the international EBT-Meeting topics

Moderators: Crazy Bob, eddydevries, philgelico, Raumi, MDeen, Jackgaillard, Ludwigsfeld, Aatos99, lmviterbo

Which date/s are possible for you to attend S-EBTM 2017 in Helsinki?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:29 pm

21.-23.7.
17%
28.-30.7.
42%
4.-6.8.
8%
11.-13.8.
33%

Total votes: 24

Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

S-EBTM2017: Helsinki (28.-30.7.2017) - General Information

Post by Aatos99 »

About program of Helsinki :flag-fi: meeting;

RESTAURANT(S)

We'll meet on Saturday 29th at 5.00 pm at restaurant Weeruska (http://www.weeruska.com/en/).

On Friday, we'll eat at same restaurant in the city centre.

MEETING PROGRAM:

FRIDAY
- 6.00 pm : let's meet between Kamppi shopping center and Tennispalatsi, near the red tram stop
eating at restaurant (probably Vltava) for the people who have already arrived

SATURDAY
- 10.00 am : let's meet between Kamppi shopping center and Tennispalatsi, near the red tram stop
a walk across the centre of Helsinki and the most important sightseeing spots + the Suomenlinna island with old fort. Museums are free.

Our sightseeing tour (by walk):
1. The Money Museum ( http://www.rahamuseo.fi/en/ )
2. The Cathedral of Helsinki
3. The City Museum ( http://www.helsinginkaupunginmuseo.fi/e ... nki-bites/ )
4. Uspenski Orthodox Cathedral
5. The Main Market Place of Helsinki and the Market Hall
6. Suomenlinna fort island, tunnels, museums

-lunch in some place
(-maybe more sightseeing)
-some hours shopping or being in hotel etc.
- 5.00 pm at restaurant Weeruska (http://www.weeruska.com/en/)

SUNDAY
-being in city, sightseeing, picnic, etc. for the people who are in the city AND possibly dot-hunting. Dot-hunting could be done in any day, depending on your plans and willing drivers/available cars.
Last edited by eddydevries on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Meeting is over
Ei sitä koskaan tiedä_Aatos99
brewerhki
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: S-EBTM2017: Helsinki (Vote for the date!) (??-??/??????/2017) - General Information

Post by brewerhki »

Missed vote. Anyway my vote wouldn't change result. All dates would be fine except most popular and if that will be chosen date, i can't come, cause i will be away from my home town Helsinki :-(
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: S-EBTM2017: Helsinki (28.-30.7.2017) - General Information

Post by Aatos99 »

So, the meeting will be held in the most popular date of the poll, 28.7.-30.7. That's quite the best time to enjoy of Finnish summer in our nice capital, Helsinki. 8)

You can get most easily to Finland by flying to Helsinki-Vantaa airport. It's easy to get there from many, many European cities.

You can also get to Helsinki by ship, for example from Germany, Poland, Sweden or Estonia. You can take your own car to ship, or even drive to Finland through Via Baltic or Denmark and Sweden.

There seems to be a good selection of hotels available at that weekend. Here's also a well-working public transport, which makes it possible to book a hotel room from Espoo or Vantaa and get straight to the city centre of Helsinki. Here's a website for checking the public transport; https://www.reittiopas.fi/. Just enter the address (enter your origin) where you are starting and the destiny, and you will find the easiest way to get from place to another. For adults, ticket inside Helsinki with possibility to change the vehicle (time limit about one hour) costs about 2,5 €. It's about 5€ from Espoo or Vantaa to Helsinki, or opposite.

I will start looking for restaurants from now, and will edit the exact program to the first post of this topic. Please inform me if you have some special or must things to do in Helsinki or Finland, and I'll look if it's possible to add them to the meeting program. :)

Hope that there''ll be again many new and old EBTers, welcome to Helsinki and Finland! 8)
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

Do any participant have some special diets? That information would help me to choose a good restaurant.

I have found two good-looking places, and will contact them and ask for reservation. These places are not open on Sundays, so it will be Saturday's meeting place.
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

The place I originally thought was too little for a bigger group, so I asked now table reservation from this restaurant (and I'm waiting to get answered soon): http://www.no11.fi/?sivu=alacarte . The list is not in English on the website, but with Google translator's help you can already check it. I hope that we'll get the reservation there, because the list is large and includes many tasty traditional foods. It's easy to get there by tram, bus or bicycle, while it isn't located in the actual central area.
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

So, I didn't get the reservation to restaurant N:o11, but I got it to there: http://www.weeruska.com/en/ . :D This is also a good restaurant with good selection, traditional food and good location. It appeared to be surprisingly hard to find enough big restaurants with good list near the central area of Helsinki. Most popular restaurants are quite small or don't take the reservations.

But we'll meet at restaurant Weeruska at 5.00 pm on Saturday. Restaurant asked us to decide what we'll order and inform them before, so I ask you to send me a message when you know what you'll order. :) No hurry, but if you already know, you can inform me.

Welcome! :)
brewerhki
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by brewerhki »

Aatos99 wrote:For adults, ticket inside Helsinki with possibility to change the vehicle (time limit about one hour) costs about 2,5 €. It's about 5€ from Espoo or Vantaa to Helsinki, or opposite.
I correct this prices (bus driver knows). Helsinki ticket is 3,20e and to/from surrounding cities 5,50e, when bought from driver. Only cash is accepted and if you try to get notes from driver, please remember, that drivers don't must accept 50e or bigger notes, but sometimes they do (today I accepted 100e note and gave good selection of different notes back, only because of this hobby). Those prices Aatos99 said is quite close to price, if you buy ticket with your travel card, but card itself costs around 8-9e, which is not refundable. But instead of that, it might be good idea to select one of these depending on your length of stay. Helsinki: 1day/9e, 2days/13,50e, 3days/18e, 4days/22,50e, 5days/27e, 6days/31,50e or 7days/36e or whole area including surrounding cities: 1day/14e, 2days/21e, 3days/28e, 4days/35e, 5days/42e, 6days/49e or 7days/56e. Those tickets are possible to buy in plenty of kiosks, most spread is R-Kioski.

Helsinki is quite good for hunting postal codes, if you compare to Turku (I heard people were getting much of same postal code, when visiting there) in city center as distance for next code is not that far. Actually some areas in Töölö or Kallio suburbs, postal codes changes really quickly by walk, but also shape of postal code postal area may shrink amazing far without reason, if you head to "wrong" direction. I may give some hints for hunting postal codes, if you want. But unluckily main Helsinki-area is having only two dots (airport belongs to same dot as city center) for dot hunters. Easiest way to get third dot is to get train to Kerava, which belongs to third zone ticket costing 8e. City itself does not have much to see, except some museum areas, but third dot and new city might be interesting for some ebters.

I hope this information will be helpful for some people and hope you have nice meeting.
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

I got an offer from the restaurant: we could have menu including starter, main dish and dessert at quite good price. The cost of this menu depends on your choice to main dish.

Please make your choice and inform me. We'll get our meals faster and cheaper by this way.

Options for starter:

Caesar salad Naturel (Lactose free, gluten free) (not to people who are allergic to fish)

OR

Blue cheese snails
(Low-lactose, gluten free)
-with restaurant's own bread

For main dish:

Vegan burger (No milk, gluten free) 34€
-Sesam bread, season's vegan steak, vegan garlic mayonnaise and chili sauce, salad, tomatoes, marinated red onion and sweet potato fries

OR

Chicken of the house
(Low-lactose, gluten free) 35€
-Red wine sauce, grilled goat cheese and country fries

OR

Smoked salmon (Lactose free, gluten free) 40€
-Creamy mushroom sauce and mashed potatoes

OR

Grill steak (Lactose free, gluten free) 42€

-Finnish sirloin steak (200g), red wine sauce, garlic butter and garlic potatoes

For dessert:

Rocky Road and cafe or tea

-Vanilla icecream and roasted white chocolate
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

If possible, could you please tell me (as private message), are you willing to take the menu, as soon as possible? I should inform the restaurant soon about the large lines of our reservation and orders. While knowing this the restaurant can tell us the final prices. I think they won't change much, as there will be more people coming who haven't told it yet here. There aren't many Finnish EBTers on the coming-list yet, so we'll probably get new participants to the list.

You don't have to know your choice to main dish yet, but the prices depend on how many of you will take the menu. We'll get our orders faster when taking the menu, and the price is not high for starter, main dish and dessert.

Thanks!
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

Thanks! I have already got information from some of you! I just want to remind that I should know it from as many as possible of you, likely before the 15th day of this month.

Just inform, if you want to take the menu, the choice for your dish should be done later, in July.

Thanks for you all, I'll publish the exact program in the end of May!
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

I've been thinking about the program, and the early plan seems quite good.

Suomenlinna island, a Unesco World Heritage site, would be a nice place to visit on Saturday or Sunday. It's an old fort island with beautiful old buildings, tunnels, lovely nature, interesting museums etc. We would spend some hours there.

http://www.suomenlinna.fi/en/

Sightseeing tour by bus might not be needed, because the best sightseeing spots in the city center are located near each other and are easily available by feet.

Dot-hunting would be also a good way to see nearby areas, for example the beautiful Porvoo city. Are you interested in it?

This is my proposition for the schedule:

Friday 28th
18.00/6 PM Pre-meeting in some restaurant, bar visit after that

Saturday 29th
11.00 Sightseeing walk in the city center OR Suomenlinna visit
12.30 Lunch
13.30 Sightseeing continues
Time to go shopping, being in hotel, etc.
17.00 (-20.00) meeting in restaurant Weeruska
More time in Weeruska or bar visit

Sunday 30th
Program depending on people who still are in the city, Suomenlinna fort, maybe dot-hunting, visit to amusement park Linnanmäki, other places that you're interested in
mico
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by mico »

good morning guys :!:

is there a website where I can look for :flag-fi: Finland zip codes :?:
Finsk
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by Finsk »

mico wrote:good morning guys :!:

is there a website where I can look for :flag-fi: Finland zip codes :?:
Here
http://www.posti.fi/henkiloasiakkaat/ap ... ohaku.html
It's Finnish because I couldn't find English version for now. Hope it's useful for you :)
mico
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by mico »

Finsk wrote:Here
http://www.posti.fi/henkiloasiakkaat/ap ... ohaku.html
It's Finnish because I couldn't find English version for now. Hope it's useful for you :)
thank you. It's useful for me because of I found English version :wink:
Attachments
EnglishVersion.JPG
EnglishVersion.JPG (25.82 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

I planned to travel a bit (I mean "I'll dothunt") before and after the meeting.
I've looked in the timetable of the Finnish Railway and planned some stops on the way.

But I wonder:
  • Do you need to reserve a seat in the trains? Than I can't stop as many times as I wanted.
  • Do you know if there's a "ticket" for traveling multiple days? Or do I have to buy a ticket each time?
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing

Return to “International EBT-meetings”