S-EBTM2014 Turku (01-03 August 2014) - General Information

Forum to discuss all the international EBT-Meeting topics

Moderators: Crazy Bob, eddydevries, philgelico, Raumi, MDeen, Jackgaillard, Ludwigsfeld, Aatos99, lmviterbo

Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: S-EBTM2014 Turku (01-03 August 2014) - General Informati

Post by Aatos99 »

It's true that the meeting is coming soon and I hope that many of you are waiting it! And I made a table reservation for restaurant Hiili (http://www.hiiliravintola.fi/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Restaurant Hiili is located in Aurakatu too, so it's near of the restaurant Harald. We will see in this barbeque restaurant at 18.00, on Saturday 2nd of August.
Ei sitä koskaan tiedä_Aatos99
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Asiamaniac »

Yes, we look forward a lot. Next sunday evening at this hour, HeartofGold and me will already be in Finland. :D
Meine Angst, dass die Autokorrektur einmal etwas Obszönes ausspuckt, wichst täglich.
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

Hello to all

I need to book train or bus tickets from Helsinki to Turku and would like to ask if the meeting starts on Friday 18.00 or earlier and what time it ends on Sunday.

Also, is there any other info we should know? I will leave for Helsinki on Monday.
brewerhki
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by brewerhki »

I want to add something for the travel from Helsinki to Turku and back. I have car that can take 8 passengers in total. 2 seats reserved already (me and Lizbeth, who is not in the forum), so there are 6 left. So, if somebody is interested in dot-hunting between Helsinki and Turku, that car can stop many times. I also would appreciate person who would like to drive that as I don't like to drive on my freetime (eh yeah right, just came from 1650km holiday back home). And I have to say, that I don't want to have more professional dot-hunting than the main-straight road as one part of the car is running out of it's kilometres really soon and I don't have 500e for changing it before meeting.

So, if people are interested to share diesel cost and get much more dots than can be reached by train/bus, just contact me pm or public in this thread. I also would say, that I'd like to reserve seats for non-finnish people as they spend more money to travel than finnish people. But also finnish people are welcome also as Lizbeth doesn't speak english that much (understand yes).
Jukkap
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Jukkap »

I bought a train ticket from Helsinki to Turku on Friday. The train will arrive at 17:00
And the return is on Sunday. The train leaves at 12:00
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

Ewri wrote:Hello to all

I need to book train or bus tickets from Helsinki to Turku and would like to ask if the meeting starts on Friday 18.00 or earlier and what time it ends on Sunday.

Also, is there any other info we should know? I will leave for Helsinki on Monday.
The meeting will start at 18.00 on Friday with eating in restaurant Harald. On Sunday there will be eating in Restaurant Rosso (http://www.raflaamo.fi/turku/rosso-turku" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) at 12.00. I think that it will be the last program in Turku. On Sunday many people will probably leave Turku, so I hope that many of you want to eat in Rosso with each other before leaving. :) About other program, we have planned a walking tour in Turku for Saturday. It would be nice to walk and see the best parts of Turku with each other. But we are still planning it, so we will inform more when we are ready with our plans.
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Asiamaniac »

I am seeing on the webside of Viikikkiravintola Harald that they may also prepare their food lactose free and gluten free. Very good choice of you, because HeartofGold is allergic to both. (Of course, she will bring her pills with her but if she can get "the right" food, so much the better.) A big KIITOS!
Meine Angst, dass die Autokorrektur einmal etwas Obszönes ausspuckt, wichst täglich.
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

Asiamaniac wrote:I am seeing on the webside of Viikikkiravintola Harald that they may also prepare their food lactose free and gluten free. Very good choice of you, because HeartofGold is allergic to both. (Of course, she will bring her pills with her but if she can get "the right" food, so much the better.) A big KIITOS!
Very nice to hear that the restaurant is a good choice. :) And by the way, if someone is looking for a cheap bus trip to Turku and back to Helsinki, this bus company might give it to you; http://www.onnibus.com/en/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . If you are still finding the best way to get to Turku, it would be good idea to check the website of VR (finnish railway company) also; https://www.vr.fi/cs/vr/en/frontpage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. They sometimes have very cheap prices also, but if you want to get from Helsinki to Turku, the cheaper choice is normally bus.
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

Aatos99 wrote:
Asiamaniac wrote:I am seeing on the webside of Viikikkiravintola Harald that they may also prepare their food lactose free and gluten free. Very good choice of you, because HeartofGold is allergic to both. (Of course, she will bring her pills with her but if she can get "the right" food, so much the better.) A big KIITOS!
Very nice to hear that the restaurant is a good choice. :) And by the way, if someone is looking for a cheap bus trip to Turku and back to Helsinki, this bus company might give it to you; http://www.onnibus.com/en/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . If you are still finding the best way to get to Turku, it would be good idea to check the website of VR (finnish railway company) also; https://www.vr.fi/cs/vr/en/frontpage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. They sometimes have very cheap prices also, but if you want to get from Helsinki to Turku, the cheaper choice is normally bus.
In fact, I bought an onnibus ticket for practically 30% of the train ticket price.
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

I noticed on the website of the buscompany which travels in Turku (Foli) that a single ticket costs €3,00. For traveling one way and return on 1 day it's cheaper to buy single tickets, but if you want/need to use the bus at more days, it's better to buy a Tourist Card:
1 day = €7,00
2 days = €10,00
3 days = €13,00
4 days = €16,00
5 days = €19,00

You can find a map here.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

I have a question concerning the treating of fivers in Finland.

It's possible to exchange at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport into a lot of fivers, but then you receive about 50% "old type" :note-5: .
I know, in the Netherlands these are brought back in circulation, but for example in Belgium these will be destroyed if they're receive by a bank.
What's the situation in Finland? Do you still use the old fivers? Or do you only receive the Europe-series?
If so, I better leave the old fivers here and take only the Europe-series with me.

My second question is: Do shops/restaurants like to get fivers in exchange of larger notes (like in Netherlands)? Or don't they want to exchange (like in Germany)?
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

eddydevries wrote:I have a question concerning the treating of fivers in Finland.

It's possible to exchange at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport into a lot of fivers, but then you receive about 50% "old type" :note-5: .
I know, in the Netherlands these are brought back in circulation, but for example in Belgium these will be destroyed if they're receive by a bank.
What's the situation in Finland? Do you still use the old fivers? Or do you only receive the Europe-series?
If so, I better leave the old fivers here and take only the Europe-series with me.

My second question is: Do shops/restaurants like to get fivers in exchange of larger notes (like in Netherlands)? Or don't they want to exchange (like in Germany)?
In Finland we have quite much old fivers. Although in Helsinki we have mostly new ones, but the situation is different in other parts of Finland. I don't know about the situation of Turku, but I think and hope that there are more old fivers in circulation than in Helsinki. Normal banks let old fivers back to circulation, only the central bank of Finland (Suomen Pankki) destroys old fivers. I think that more than half of fivers in Finland are new ones, but old ones are still in circulation, so it's not bad idea to take your old fivers to Finland. You have at least good chance to get hits with your fivers here. :wink: And I think that restaurants and shops always need fivers, so it's not problem to pay your food etc. with fivers. Some shops may even want to change notes with you, but mostly little shops, not very big supermarkets.
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

In less than 48 hours, I will be in Finland. Does the "official meeting program" only consist of two restaurant visits on Friday and Saturday, or will there be any other activities as well?
Jukkap
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Jukkap »

Crazy Bob wrote:In less than 48 hours, I will be in Finland. Does the "official meeting program" only consist of two restaurant visits on Friday and Saturday, or will there be any other activities as well?
We might go here: http://www.turunlinna.fi/en/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don´t know why program are not published.
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

Crazy Bob wrote:In less than 48 hours, I will be in Finland. Does the "official meeting program" only consist of two restaurant visits on Friday and Saturday, or will there be any other activities as well?
And there will be restaurant visit at 12.00 in Rosso (http://www.raflaamo.fi/turku/rosso-turku" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) on Sunday also. As I have said, we have planned a walking tour in Turku and visiting in different interesting places, like Turku Castle, but we are not ready yet with it.

Return to “International EBT-meetings”