S-EBTM2014 Turku (01-03 August 2014) - General Information

Forum to discuss all the international EBT-Meeting topics

Moderators: Crazy Bob, eddydevries, philgelico, Raumi, MDeen, Jackgaillard, Ludwigsfeld, Aatos99, lmviterbo

brewerhki
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: S-EBTM2014 Turku (01-03 August 2014) - General Informati

Post by brewerhki »

eddydevries wrote:I have a question concerning the treating of fivers in Finland.

It's possible to exchange at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport into a lot of fivers, but then you receive about 50% "old type" :note-5: .
I know, in the Netherlands these are brought back in circulation, but for example in Belgium these will be destroyed if they're receive by a bank.
What's the situation in Finland? Do you still use the old fivers? Or do you only receive the Europe-series?
If so, I better leave the old fivers here and take only the Europe-series with me.

My second question is: Do shops/restaurants like to get fivers in exchange of larger notes (like in Netherlands)? Or don't they want to exchange (like in Germany)?
I also agree, that fivers are still in circulation here. And small shops, kiosks, etc usually change fivers to big ones. Sometimes also bigger shops needs fivers, but S-shops (S-Market, Alepa, Sale, etc.) doesn't change money, doesn't matter, if they need small money or not.

Last weekend we were eating at rock festival and the lady thanked us for paying in fivers. Of course I said, I have plenty of more of them, so we got bigger money to brake into smaller later (actually I was bit low on bigger notes myself, so it helped a lot me to get new notes) :D Well, got one fiver back from next restaurant, all other notes were new for me.
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Asiamaniac »

Should anybody plan to travel to more northern regions prior to or after the EBTM: the fivers we get here out of circulation are mainly Trichet ones, in all conditions.

Greetings from Rovaniemi, Lapland.
Meine Angst, dass die Autokorrektur einmal etwas Obszönes ausspuckt, wichst täglich.
tiura
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tiura »

There is going to be a big event at Turku at the same time with our meeting: Gangut regatta (http://www.turku.fi/Public/default.aspx ... &nodeid=23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). There will be some big sailing ships and lots of smaller ones moored at riverside. This will attract lots of people to the city, especially at the downriver side. Unfortunately there is no proper English language information available at the site, programs are only in Finnish: http://www.gangutregatta.fi/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by MDeen »

The weatherforecast is favourable. http://en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi/weather/Turku" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dry and sunny with temperatures up to 25 degrees and a light sowth-west to south-east (sea) wind.
Jukkap
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Jukkap »

Today´s weather in Turku: http://www.iltasanomat.fi/kotimaa/art-1 ... 11264.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Car´s are swimming.
de*lerger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by de*lerger »

Jukkap wrote:Today´s weather in Turku: http://www.iltasanomat.fi/kotimaa/art-1 ... 11264.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Car´s are swimming.
I was some 70 km north of Turku when I got stuck in a shop. Couldn't even see my car, which was parked in front, because of the rain. But it only lasted 15 minutes.
Now the sun is shining in Turku.
My map
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Here's a very rough and condensed schedule. I'll update this post with more details in the next few hours. The times are still subject to verification.

(edit: this draft has been removed -- see below for an updated schedule)
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

Thank you avij for this schedule.
(I'll be with you around 12:00, but I'm staying at Forum Marinum, so it's about 2 km to walk)

I've a question about entering notes from Turku: Does Turku have only 1 postcode (up till now, I've used 20100), or do some areas have another postcode?
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Here's our current schedule for the meeting:

Friday
  • 18:00 - Dinner at Harald (Aurakatu 3, 20100 Turku)
  • We'll continue the evening in some appropriate bar, to be determined ad hoc
Saturday
  • 10:45 - We'll meet in front of Aboa Vetus & Ars Nova (Itäinen Rantakatu 4, 20700 Turku)
  • 11:00 - Aboa Vetus & Ars Nova opens, we enter
  • 12:30 at the latest - everyone should have finished the Aboa Vetus & Ars Nova tour by now, start walking towards the next place
  • 12:45 - Everyone should be at Aurakatu 2 (20100 Turku) for the sightseeing tour
  • 13:00 - The sightseeing bus starts the tour. Note that this bus is not specifically reserved for us, meaning that seats aren't guaranteed and the bus definitely won't wait for anyone.
  • xx:xx - We'll visit Turku Cathedral (20500 Turku) during the sightseeing tour
  • 15:00 (approx) - The sightseeing tour finishes at the Turku Castle (20100 Turku), we enter the castle
  • 17:00 (approx) - We head back towards the city center, either by walking along the river (might take 45-60 minutes) or by bus. We can split the group at this stage if needed.
  • 18:00 - Dinner at Hiili (Aurakatu 6, 20100 Turku)
  • We'll continue the evening in some appropriate bar, to be determined ad hoc
Sunday
  • 12:00 - Lunch at Rosso (Eerikinkatu 12, 20100 Turku)
  • We'll take a bus to Forum Marinum (Linnankatu 72, 20100 Turku) and spend some time there (this place is next to the Turku Castle, but due to time constraints we didn't have time for this on Saturday).
  • After this we can have a look at Suomen Joutsen, a museum ship. The ship is parked next to Forum Marinum.
  • There is also a possibility to take a bus to Naantali (21100 Naantali) for an extra dot
We're planning to give you your own Turku Card: "TurkuCard holders have free access to almost all museums and the Turku Sightseeing Tour along with free travel aboard local buses. You´ll also receive discounts at many places including restaurants, shops, hotels and cruises." Please have the card with you at all times. As the meeting's official program starts at Friday 18:00 and some of you may arrive to Turku earlier than that, we're distributing these cards prior to the official start of the meeting for those who prefer to do a bit of sightseeing by themselves on Friday before the dinner. I will be in the lounge of Holiday Inn (Eerikinkatu 28) at 09:00 (erm, make that 09:30 -- I had planned to buy these from the hotel, but they had run out of the cards and I had to get them from the tourist info), 12:00 and 15:00 with these cards, come and grab them if you need them. Look for a guy in a white T-shirt, that might be me. You can also get the card (and your name tag) at Friday's dinner, or on Saturday morning at Aboa Vetus.

I also have a number of maps printed out.

If you get lost, I can be reached at +358-50-5275147.

Postal codes: If you are unsure, use 20100. This covers most of the area north of the river. Aboa Vetus area is 20700, Turku Cathedral area is 20500.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
maarsy
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by maarsy »

took the chanse and stayed in Helsinki , waited 3 hours for the banks to open and spend over an houre in the queue and ended up no fivers
Jukkap
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Jukkap »

maarsy wrote:took the chanse and stayed in Helsinki , waited 3 hours for the banks to open and spend over an houre in the queue and ended up no fivers
It is now more difficult to get fivers, as before. :evil: I tried to get on Tuesday, but it managed on Thursday.
brewerhki
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by brewerhki »

Jukkap wrote:
maarsy wrote:took the chanse and stayed in Helsinki , waited 3 hours for the banks to open and spend over an houre in the queue and ended up no fivers
It is now more difficult to get fivers, as before. :evil: I tried to get on Tuesday, but it managed on Thursday.
I had better luck today. First Nordea in Myyrmäki, Vantaa had 30 mins of queue, but we had time to drive to Malmi, Helsinki and only 10 mins of queue. Got 100x fivers really quickly. Cashier's face seemed like I could read his mind "aa you again and fivers?" Got bundle without filling papers or without cashier counting them :D
tiura
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tiura »

I think that last night I promised to avij, that I would lead a dot hunting trip to Naantali on Sunday. So, if someone wants to get the neighbouring dot west from Turku, we could go there by bus after the lunch on Sunday. Bus leaves from Central market place right next to the place we are having lunch. Journey takes about 20-30 minutes and can be payed with the Turku card that you received from avij.

My phone number is 358 40 9000 755

Timo "tiura" Koski
HeartOfGold
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by HeartOfGold »

tiura wrote:I think that last night I promised to avij, that I would lead a dot hunting trip to Naantali on Sunday. So, if someone wants to get the neighbouring dot west from Turku, we could go there by bus after the lunch on Sunday. Bus leaves from Central market place right next to the place we are having lunch. Journey takes about 20-30 minutes and can be payed with the Turku card that you received from avij.

My phone number is 358 40 9000 755

Timo "tiura" Koski
Count Asiamaniac and me in. We are interested to get an extra dot. :D

Anyone going ATM bashing today? I need to do that today. :?
Everyone is born clever. Some are clever now, some become clever later.

Return to “International EBT-meetings”