W-EBTM15: Live from Cyprus

Forum to discuss all the international EBT-Meeting topics

Moderators: Crazy Bob, eddydevries, philgelico, Raumi, MDeen, Jackgaillard, Ludwigsfeld, Aatos99, lmviterbo

Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

W-EBTM15: Live from Cyprus

Post by Crazy Bob »

Now that the first Cypriotic meeting-related hit has occured (nice one, bzajc!), it's time to start this topic to tell us all about your travels to, in and from Cyprus!

How easy was it to change money in Cypriotic banks, bzajc?

MDeen and myself will travel to Larnaca tomorrow; first stop :flag-uk: London Gatwick Airport!
de*lerger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: W-EBTM15: Live from Cyprus

Post by de*lerger »

Changing notes seems fairly easy, until now nobody asked me if I was a customer. Started changing today and it only caused problems in Limassol where there is a shortage of fivers (they say). When I took the mountain route to Nicosia I got 100 fivers from the Bank of Cyprus in a village called Evrychou, until today unknown @ EBT. The only problem was the timer on the safe, I had to wait for 5 minutes. Later in Astromeritis (also BoC) the lady took 100 fivers straight from her money drawer. No questions asked.
My map
bzajc
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by bzajc »

I have to agree with de*lerger. I exchanged only in Pafos. The only problem was to explain that i want 100 :note-5: not 100 euro in :note-5:.
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

good to hear that banks are very friendly!

Looking forward. We are leaving on Friday
brewerhki
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by brewerhki »

How late banks are generally open? Our landing time will be around 3pm tomorrow (or today as is it EET? at least here it is) and getting out from airport, sign in to hotel, etc takes some time. So might there be a change to get bank at same day? If not, no problem, I can change fivers into bigger notes in restaurant or something. Or just leave it to Thursday. Anyway, nice to hear banks are friendly there.
de*lerger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by de*lerger »

I may have been a little bit too optimistic in my previous post. Today I took a walk from my hotel to the center (of Nicosia) and back with 3 stacks of notes, each worth of €500.
First stop was the Bank of Cyprus at Kiriakou Matsi (near my hotel). I got 100 x 5 without problems. The lady asked only one question: Do you have a grocery ?(later I found out that there are quite a number of grocery wholesalers in the area).
Next visit was the Emporiki Bank. Forget about them, they only serve their own customers, they wouldn't even change my US$ to euros.
Then I tried the Hellenic Bank at the Eleftheria Square. Here I was also asked if I had a bank account there. Could change my US$ there, but when I asked to include 20 :note-5: the lady at the desk told me they didn't have enough of them.
Next stop was the Bank of Cyprus branch at Diagorou. First time I was helped by a male and probably the fastest 100 x 5 so far.
Near the Hellenic bank a pedestrian bridge takes you into the old city. Straight into another Bank of Cyprus. It was quite busy there so the lady only could give me 40 fivers from her own stock.
When I walked back to my hotel I found an Alpha Bank along the route (at Chilonos). Still had €300 to change and it was no problem having them changed into 60x5.

So if you want to get (a lot of) fivers, the Bank of Cyprus is the best option.

Opening hours (during winter season, all banks): monday - friday 08:30 - 13:30 and monday afternoon 15:15 - 16:45.
My map
Euro~Bräu
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by Euro~Bräu »

hi at @,

at first, sorry for my english , is not my native language.
i hope u are understnd what i wont to say.

Arport Athen, change is not problem. i changed maximum 50 € in other notes. no questions, but i think they have
not many :note-5: , on other place at Airport i want change :note-5: in :note-10: or :note-20: , they cant change in this notes.

on the Airport are many station u can change.
Grüße an alle
maarsy
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by maarsy »

will have to make the most of the mornings than
brewerhki
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by brewerhki »

Landed succesfully in Larnaka today. Very tired, had only short walk at town. Seen only one bank, that was closed 13.30. Well, managed to spread some fivers and got few notes (not in system yet). Telephones not working well here, and internet not working at hotel room (in lobby yes). Anyway, city seems nice and waiting for following days (and plans where to head to etc).
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

Also arrived in Larnaca today, as witnessed by my first notes here (example). Had a nice dinner (cheap!), now ready for bed...
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

Allthough not planned, we (an-148+1+eurostyle and me) have been to Larnaca, but did't stay there very long (and couldn't leave the airplane).
Just before our plane would land at Paphos International Airport a small plane got a flat tyre while landing. Therefor it couldn't leave the runway, so it was blocked.
Our plane had to continue to Larnaca where we had to wait until the runway in Paphos was cleared and we could fly back again.
So we arrived over an hour late in Paphos.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
maarsy
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by maarsy »

maarsy wrote:will have to make the most of the mornings than
wish i dident say that , been awake for an houre now and breakfast isent even served yet
maarsy
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by maarsy »

and as Always i forget something , just noticed i forgot to pack my gps
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

eddydevries wrote:Allthough not planned, we (an-148+1+eurostyle and me) have been to Larnaca, but did't stay there very long (and couldn't leave the airplane).
Just before our plane would land at Paphos International Airport a small plane got a flat tyre while landing. Therefor it couldn't leave the runway, so it was blocked.
Our plane had to continue to Larnaca where we had to wait until the runway in Paphos was cleared and we could fly back again.
So then MDeen and I have most likely seen you(r airplane), when we landed (on easyJet) we saw a Ryanair aircraft on the ramp at Larnaca, which took off about 45 minutes after we arrived.
an-148
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: summer: Ivanica, BiH ; winter: La Calamine (Liège) BE

Post by an-148 »

Crazy Bob wrote:
eddydevries wrote:Allthough not planned, we (an-148+1+eurostyle and me) have been to Larnaca, but did't stay there very long (and couldn't leave the airplane).
So then MDeen and I have most likely seen you(r airplane), when we landed (on easyJet) we saw a Ryanair aircraft on the ramp at Larnaca, which took off about 45 minutes after we arrived.

exactly :D
http://meine.flugstatistik.de/image/an148.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “International EBT-meetings”