S EBTM 2016 - Malta... General info

Forum to discuss all the international EBT-Meeting topics

Moderators: Crazy Bob, eddydevries, philgelico, Raumi, MDeen, Jackgaillard, Ludwigsfeld, Aatos99, lmviterbo

Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

S EBTM 2016 - Malta... General info

Post by Ewri »

This thread is intended to give the necessary information regarding the Summer EBTM 2016 to be held in Malta. Will be updated from time to time.

Dates - 16-18th September
Location - Base city will be Sliema.
Meeting point - Triq ix-xatt near Sliema bus terminus.

Getting there
Malta is reachable by plane through our airport situated at Luqa. A number of flights, including from low cost companies are available daily. Airport's web site is https://www.maltairport.com/passenger/

Malta is also reachable by catamaran through a 90 minute trip from Pozzallo. http://www.virtuferries.com/
This is the same service that those who will be going to Sicily will use.

Program
16th Friday - Meet for dinner
17 th Saturday - Visit Ta' Qali crafts village, Rabat & Mdina. evening dinner.
18th Sunday - Harbour cruise & Lunch
19th Monday - 1 day trip in Sicily.

This is provisional and could change according to how many would like to join trip to Sicily on Monday or if the majority prefers going to Sicily on Sunday. Location in Sicily will also change depending on the date.

With regards to the SICILY trip, I know that there are 2 options for a pre organised tour, but we can also prepare a route ourselves, depending on the number of people attending. One of the tours requires a minimum of 12 persons so we have to check this later, closer to the date.

Post codes
These are very vast and can be checked here. http://postcodes.maltapost.com/
Please note that in most places, like googlemaps etc, the street names are in Maltese not English

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

PROGRAM IN DETAIL has been posted. Post no 23.
Last edited by eddydevries on Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: the meeting is over for about a year.
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: S EBTM 2016 - Malta... General info

Post by lmviterbo »

I'm translating this to Portuguese (for the newsletter) and am in doubt as to what a harbour cruise is. A stroll on the harbour? A voyage on a boat off the harbour but not too far? Anything else?
MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by MDeen »

lmviterbo wrote:I'm translating this to Portuguese (for the newsletter) and am in doubt as to what a harbour cruise is. A stroll on the harbour? A voyage on a boat off the harbour but not too far? Anything else?
I assume it's a tour on a boat through the harbour.
Something like this.
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

Thanks, MDeen! I had browsed several webpages offering "harbor cruises" and I'd say you're very likely right, so I just used this for translation purposes.

In the meantime, I just noticed that the Italian translation of the newsletter is on another direction: "Visita del porto". (All other completed translations match MDeen's interpretation.) Should I pm Claudio? I'm not sure if he's the one doing the Italian translations at the moment.
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

lmviterbo wrote:Thanks, MDeen! I had browsed several webpages offering "harbor cruises" and I'd say you're very likely right, so I just used this for translation purposes.

In the meantime, I just noticed that the Italian translation of the newsletter is on another direction: "Visita del porto". (All other completed translations match MDeen's interpretation.) Should I pm Claudio? I'm not sure if he's the one doing the Italian translations at the moment.
The Harbour cruise will be this one or a similar one offered by another company
http://www.captainmorgan.com.mt/harbour-cruises
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

First post has been edited.
klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by klapotec »

will all 3 Maltese dots be visited during the program? if not, I will have to plan some additional time for that purpose...

also, was just reading the WEBTM10 general info - is it still not too difficult to exchange at banks? I would like to leave a few hundred bills, and also to take some with me ;)
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

klapotec wrote:will all 3 Maltese dots be visited during the program? if not, I will have to plan some additional time for that purpose...

also, was just reading the WEBTM10 general info - is it still not too difficult to exchange at banks? I would like to leave a few hundred bills, and also to take some with me ;)
I just were in Malta (sad that I'm not able to take part to the meeting). I tried and managed to change notes many times in Bank of Valletta counter in Bugibba. I didn't have to explain anything, but last time, different officer than in other visits, asked me do I have some kind of business in Malta. :mrgreen:

I got more than 200 notes from Bugibba, so I would call it easy compared to many other countries. But HSBC bank didn't have cash (only ATMs), so I'd prefer Bank of Valletta. Of course, it might differ depending the place, but I think international banks like HSBC won't change notes as easily as local banks.

For the dots, the northwest dot might not be possible to get by the meeting program. It's easy to get from little Comino island or bigger Gozo, there are also many banks in Gozo. Both able to reach by a little boat trip.

EDIT: The harbour cruise including to the meeting program might include a visit to Gozo or Comino, I didn't check the website of it's organizer.
Ei sitä koskaan tiedä_Aatos99
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

klapotec wrote:will all 3 Maltese dots be visited during the program? if not, I will have to plan some additional time for that purpose...

Hello

we will surely visit 2 dots but not the 3rd one which covers Gozo. (we have been to Gozo in 2010 meeting), however should we be going to sicily, there will be opportunity for other dots from there.

With regards to changing at banks, it is not as easy as it was but small amounts not exceeding EUR 1000 can be exchanged
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

CLOSING DATE FOR SICILY TRIP is 14th August as we need to see our various options.
maltese
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by maltese »

Of course, I 'm not interested in Sicily program. I will be in Gozo from the early morning of the 16th Sept. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

Hello to all

Those who are going to join in Sicily, please book your trip choosing BOOK EXCURSIONS through this link.

http://www.virtuferries.com/?page_id=5513

The final price should be EUR 126 per person and excursion is called MT. ETNA AND TAORMINA EXCURSION

Also please note, that since the ferry leaves at 6 in the morning and returns late, it is adviseable that you book transport.

You can either book their transport or else, maybe 4 of you can rent out a taxi. Here are some link of taxi services. you can obviously choose others but these are most common ones.

http://ecabs.com.mt/
http://yellowcabsmalta.com/
http://johns.com.mt/

According to the ferry's web site, they offer local transport for EUR 11 per person.
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

Are you all ok with booking the trip to Sicily?

If you need help, please let me know.

Also, I would like to know the name of Burdie's partner for tag purposes.

thanks
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

So with Malta being a Mediterranean country, we like our food and the meeting will obviously incorporate food stops, which will be communicated later on but in the meantime, please find a list of food/beverages which every visitor should not miss.

Cisk - our most popular beer, including a number of variables like cherry, lemon & low carb.
Kinnie - The soft drink unique to Malta.
pastizzi - with cheese or peas filling. They are cheap, full of calories but taste great.
Ftira biż-żejt - Bread spread with tomato paste with a tuna/capers/olives filling
Imqaret - date cakes which can be smelt from corners away.
twistees - cheese flavoured snack.
Lampuka - dolphin fish is the most common fish found in Maltese waters
Bajtar tax-xewk - Prickly pears. its a fruit typical of mediterranean countries
rabbit stew
Bragjoli - beef olives
bigilla - broad beans dip
giulcenc
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by giulcenc »

Ewri wrote:Are you all ok with booking the trip to Sicily?
I had some problems with my credit card, but it'll be ok in two or three days.

Return to “International EBT-meetings”