IP address changes

Announcements about Eurobilltracker or this forum

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, eddydevries, claudio vda, dserrano5, Nerzhul

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

IP address changes

Post by avij »

The IP address of the eurobilltracker.com webserver has changed, along with all the other servers in our machine room. The server is reachable using both the old and new addresses for a while, the old address will stop working next week or so. If you have problems logging in, try http://ebt.miuku.net/ instead until all the name servers have caught up with the change. If you don't have problems, continue using www.eurobilltracker.com as before.
EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

eurobilltracker.com is not being resolved

Post by EuroBillTracker »

Apparently, the old address is not being resolved anymore. I don't know why.

The monitoring system just sent an SMS to avij and I so we are working on it.

I will shift the DNS servers to the new DNS servers but I am afraid that will take a few hours to propagate and should not have been necessary just now.

The miuku.net address works
EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Re: eurobilltracker.com is not being resolved

EuroBillTracker wrote: I will shift the DNS servers to the new DNS servers but I am afraid that will take a few hours to propagate and should not have been necessary just now.
Can't do that just yet: OVH won't take IP addresses for DNS servers...
EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Ok, I have changed the OVH DNS so that the A entry points to the server's new IP address.

Unfortunatly it will take a while to propagate so I am hoping Avij can setup a forwarding rule from the old IP to the new one. I think there was some miscommunication here :(
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Alright, here's the deal.

As you may be aware, the server is currently hosted at the company where I work. Our parent company (whose net connection we're actually using) decided to switch ISPs and as a result our IP addresses change. Well, that's no big deal, such things happen all the time and I've dealt with those things before.

The new IP addresses were functional immediately, and the old IP addresses were due to stop working some day next week. The plan was to use both addresses until the DNS changes propagated through the internet. This way there would have been absolutely no break in services.

I had to do some clever adjustments to the EBT webserver routing to make the double IP address system work, and the system was fully functional with both IP addresses last night when I tested it. So far so good..

HOWEVER, unlike the agreement we had with our previous ISP, they disconnected us today, not next week as we had planned. As you can guess, I'm pretty pissed at them for doing this :evil: And the folks at our parent company aren't very glad about this either, they had to make some massive unscheduled changes to their network setup as well. I had done similar double IP setups to our company's other computers just the last night and changed the DNS to reflect our new addresses. Some people are still unable to reach our company's website because one of the six FI nameservers still give the old address, this is mostly because that nameserver happens to be the same nameserver where our domain name service was located before and they haven't bothered removing it yet.

So, here's a summary: The EBT webserver would nicely accept connections using both the new and old addresses, but our old address was disconnected prematurely and thus only the new address works. www.eurobilltracker.com will eventually work again, but in the meantime you should use ebt.miuku.net instead.

I did all the things I could to make the transition smooth, but now that our previous ISP (whose name starts with an E and has 5 letters) has screwed up there's very little I can do to help the situation.

Return to “Announcements”