NIG (NoteInfoGenerator)

Various EBT statistics can be posted here

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: NIG (NoteInfoGenerator)

Post by lmviterbo »

dserrano5 wrote:Is the above accurate/complete? Am I forgetting/neglecting/misunderstanding something?
I believe that is accurate and complete. Note that the ranges you named 00000 must be numeric and have no lower or upper limits.
dserrano5 wrote:Now, if I look for overlapping or conflicting entries I easily find this example in the codes_germany.txt file:

Code: Select all

Group=Berliner Bezirke (Districts of Berlin)

// PLZ 10119,10179,10247,10367 [...] are all within more than one district 

10119=Mitte (Mitte/Tiergarten/Wedding)
[...]
10119=Pankow (Prenzlauer Berg/Weißensee/Pankow)
What should happen to a note entered in 10119? Is it to be assigned to both districts? (which affects the totals and percentages) To none of them? (ditto) To a random one? (yielding different results depending on the phase of the moon).

I'm sure I'll find more interesting cases…
We have the same problem in Portugal. In fact, there are a few places where only the complete postal code (0000-000 format) along with the "city" is enough to know exactly where it is. There are even some cases where almost the complete address would be necessary. In these few and negligible cases you'd need <Hamlet 0000-000 POSTAL-TOWN> to spot the place.

NIG has never allowed the 7-digit postal code, most likely because of the hyphen. It has also never allowed a format like
00000,00000;SpecialTown=District1
00000,00000[all other cases]=District2

So what we did, both on EBT city-management assignment rules and on our NIG file codes_portugal_distconc.txt was to assign as much "cities" as possible when in doubt. This yields enormous lists. Here's a very short example:

2100;Arriça=Santarém
2100;Azervadinha=Santarém
2100;Biscainho=Santarém
2100;Branca=Santarém
2100;Coruche=Santarém
2100;Couço=Santarém
2100;Erra=Santarém
2100;Fajarda=Santarém
2100;Lagoiços=Santarém
2100;Lamarosa=Santarém
2100;Santana do Mato=Santarém
2100;Latadas=Setúbal

It would be lovely, and less prone to errors, to be able to write this as (something like):

2100;Latadas=Setúbal
2100[all other]=Santarém

or

2100=Santarém
2100;Latadas[special case]=Setúbal

That wouldn't be enough, though. Without that and the complete 7-digit postal code, including the hyphen, we will always have the "10119" problem, though. I have no idea if the Germans can solve their problem the same way (they might if, for example, their postal code system is like the US one, getting down to 00000-0000).
Last edited by lmviterbo on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrnsndrs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by jrnsndrs »

dserrano5 wrote:(...) Conceptually I think a group represents a single view on the whole country, although it seems that this isn't always the case
Generally it does but not always. The problem is that NIG only knows groups and subgroups, and not deeper. So if you want to do places by municipality by province, you have to make 13(for the Netherlands) groups of places by municipality in [fill in a province name].

As for postal codes in The Netherlands, they have 4 digits and two letters, officially separated by a space (for example 5025 JX). Some people do not enter the space (5025JX) This shouldn't be a big problem, since the letters refer to streets or parts of streets.
I would say, that for the Netherlands, only the digits matter.

About Caribbean Netherlands:
There are no postal codes (yet) in Caribbean Netherlands. Also, it is officially no province, nor does it belong to any of our provinces. It is only considered a province (our 13th) for EBT because the hierarchical structure of EBT requires it to be in a province.

// Post code groups for The Netherlands
// Types:
// -post code ranges "00000,00000=name" (must be numbers)
// -single code "00000=name"
// -single code+name "00000;PlaceNameinCSV=name" I think this is for one code with more names.
// -single name ";PlaceNameinCSV=name"

You can find these in the group Provinces of The Netherlands.
5441;Oostrum=Limburg
5441;Oeffelt=Noord-Brabant
I think that if you enter 5441 with any other name it will be placed in no province at all.
"of all wars, religious wars are the most detestable, since they are waged for no tangible gain, but only to impose a set of arbitrary credos on another."
--- Unspiek baron Bodissey.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by dserrano5 »

dserrano5 wrote:

Group=Berliner Bezirke (Districts of Berlin)
10119=Mitte (Mitte/Tiergarten/Wedding)
10119=Pankow (Prenzlauer Berg/Weißensee/Pankow)
What should happen to a note entered in 10119? Is it to be assigned to both districts? (which affects the totals and percentages) To none of them? (ditto) To a random one? (yielding different results depending on the phase of the moon).
Just for reference: I did a test with 3 german notes, one in 10119 Mitte, another one in 10119 Pankow and a third one in 10119 Foobar (non-existent). In the relevant table ("Berliner Bezirke (Districts of Berlin)") NIG shows 3 notes in Mitte and another 3 in Pankow, for a total of 6 notes, 200% of notes entered in Germany.
dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by dserrano5 »

lmviterbo wrote:It would be lovely, and less prone to errors, to be able to write this as (something like):

2100;Latadas=Setúbal
2100[all other]=Santarém

or

2100=Santarém
2100;Latadas[special case]=Setúbal
Off topic here but first I'll implement in EBTST the same functionality NIG has, so that the same codes_*.txt files work with EBTST with only minor modifications. We can talk later about enhancements.

jrnsndrs wrote:You can find these in the group Provinces of The Netherlands.
5441;Oostrum=Limburg
I think that if you enter 5441 with any other name it will be placed in no province at all.
Can't find that ( :?: ) but there are similar entries:

Group=kernen per provincie Zuid-Holland
SubGroup=Reeuwijk
2811;Reeuwijk-Brug=Reeuwijk-Brug
2811;Reeuwijk=Reeuwijk-Brug
2811;Reeuwijk-Dorp=Reeuwijk-Dorp
Indeed, if I feed NIG a CSV file with a note in Reeuwijk and another note in Reweuijk (non-existant), NIG only shows one note in that group.
jrnsndrs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by jrnsndrs »

dserrano5 wrote:
jrnsndrs wrote:You can find these in the group Provinces of The Netherlands.
5441;Oostrum=Limburg
Can't find that ( :?: ) but there are similar entries:

Group=kernen per provincie Zuid-Holland
SubGroup=Reeuwijk
2811;Reeuwijk-Brug=Reeuwijk-Brug
2811;Reeuwijk=Reeuwijk-Brug
2811;Reeuwijk-Dorp=Reeuwijk-Dorp
Indeed, if I feed NIG a CSV file with a note in Reeuwijk and another note in Reweuijk (non-existant), NIG only shows one note in that group.
They have a few lines between them. But I suppose you already did search for 5441 or Oeffelt or Oostrum.
ImageWhy didn't they show up anywhere?
"of all wars, religious wars are the most detestable, since they are waged for no tangible gain, but only to impose a set of arbitrary credos on another."

dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by dserrano5 »

jrnsndrs wrote:They have a few lines between them. But I suppose you already did search for 5441 or Oeffelt or Oostrum.
5441:

5440,5441=Boxmeer
5440,5441=Oeffelt
Oeffelt:

5440,5441=Oeffelt
5440,5449=544x (Oeffelt)
Oostrum:

9125=Oostrum fr
5807=Oostrum lb
This is NIG 1.84 with the stock codes files. I wouldn't be surprised if you had actually updated your files with someone else's work. For instance, lmviterbo talks about a codes_portugal_distconc.txt that I don't have (and before he edited his post, he mentioned another file, along the lines of codes_portugal_cidades e vilas.txt or something like that, and I don't have it either).
jrnsndrs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by jrnsndrs »

dserrano5 wrote:
jrnsndrs wrote:They have a few lines between them. But I suppose you already did search for 5441 or Oeffelt or Oostrum.
5441:

5440,5441=Boxmeer
5440,5441=Oeffelt
Oeffelt:

5440,5441=Oeffelt
5440,5449=544x (Oeffelt)
Oostrum:

9125=Oostrum fr
5807=Oostrum lb
This is NIG 1.84 with the stock codes files. I wouldn't be surprised if you had actually updated your files with someone else's work. For instance, lmviterbo talks about a codes_portugal_distconc.txt that I don't have (and before he edited his post, he mentioned another file, along the lines of codes_portugal_cidades e vilas.txt or something like that, and I don't have it either).
I found in 'my' version the line 5807=Oostrum lb. I didn't check 9125=Oostrum (fr) but it should be there, we have indeed 2 towns named Oostrum (one in the province Limburg and one in the province Friesland).

I would like to show you where I started this:

// Post code groups for The Netherlands
// Types:
//  -post code ranges "00000,00000=name" (must be numbers)
//  -single code "00000=name"
//  -single code+name "00000;PlaceNameinCSV=name"
//  -single name ";PlaceNameinCSV=name"

// Post codes by Burdie :)

// version 01-01-2013

PrintZeros=0

Group=Provinces of The Netherlands (see <a href="http://forum.eurobilltracker.eu/viewtopic.php?t=9197">forum</a> for hits)
7705,7705=Drenthe
7740,7766=Drenthe
(...)
9880,9999=Groningen
5766,5817=Limburg
5850,6019=Limburg
6030,6471=Limburg
6584,6599=Limburg
5441;Oostrum=Limburg
4250,4288=Noord-Brabant
4600,4671=Noord-Brabant
4680,4681=Noord-Brabant
4700,5298=Noord-Brabant
5340,5440=Noord-Brabant
5442,5764=Noord-Brabant
5820,5846=Noord-Brabant
6020,6029=Noord-Brabant
1000,1277=Noord-Holland
1380,1383=Noord-Holland
(...)
I have a file most recently updated by Smike which is based on updates by yli (who is inactive for a few months now)
'My' current version (= Smikes 2013 update) can be found here.

I re-downloaded NIG, just to check the original one, and indeed those lines are not there.

I think most Dutch users use Smikes version because an update was announced here.

giulcenc
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by giulcenc »

For all those who are using (and loving) NIG yet: we know the files we are using are updated, due to the non-updating of NIG.

Some italian users have updated old italian codes_*.txt files, and have created some new ones.
You can download these updated/new files from my signature (codes_italy.txt and codes_italy_varie.txt), from -flop-'s signature (codes_italy_wines.txt) and from debemaks' signature (files_italy_comuni.txt).

And thanks to dserrano5 for implementing the NIG's locations functionality in his EBTST :D
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

dserrano5 wrote:[…] lmviterbo talks about a codes_portugal_distconc.txt that I don't have (and before he edited his post, he mentioned another file, along the lines of codes_portugal_cidades e vilas.txt or something like that, and I don't have it either).
You're really observant! :D :o

Those files are being used for games (town hunt and district hunt). If you'd like to have them, their author, A.Simões, or I, will be glad to send the most recent version.
BaliBennie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by BaliBennie »

Just too bad that NIG can't work with the new coming eurobills.... :roll:
Visit my homepage to see my statistics, maps and more!

Look at my 5 years statistics

Er gaat niets boven Groningen EBT
Yippo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Yippo »

BaliBennie wrote:Just too bad that NIG can't work with the new coming eurobills.... :roll:
Yes it is. I have tried to send few messages to Bobtail, but no answers resently. She's also quite passive in entering notes nowadays...
LazyDog31141
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by LazyDog31141 »

NIG 1.84 does not like new serial numbers. I just found a now 5€-Note, serial VAxxxxx. The program crashes with an error....
Some software seals should read: "Abandon hope all ye who enter here"
MuenzMuc
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by MuenzMuc »

LazyDog31141 wrote:NIG 1.84 does not like new serial numbers. I just found a now 5€-Note, serial VAxxxxx. The program crashes with an error....
Yes, that's a big problem :(

But you can be tricky and change the new serial numbers in your notes_entered_by_zzzzzz.csv: Use V2xxxxx instead of VAxxxxx :wink:

MuenzMuc
gabonik
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by gabonik »

Since it has also happened to me not inserted just the first new € 5, would want to understand because V2 rather than VA, me that I have inserted one SA, thing I should write?
Thanks
MuenzMuc
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by MuenzMuc »

gabonik wrote:Since it has also happened to me not inserted just the first new € 5, would want to understand because V2 rather than VA, me that I have inserted one SA, thing I should write?
Thanks
You can find out it with the EBT formular by changing the 2nd digit of the serial number.
Example: the serial number is SA0000000005, so change the A as long as the background color of the field will be change from red to green.
In my example you have to take the "2" instead of the "A", so your "NIG readable" number is S20000000005.
Important: You have to choose the value (here: :note-5: ). If not, the color is always red...
Bild2.png
Bild2.png (3.32 KiB) Viewed 4017 times

Return to “EuroBillTracker Statistics”