Hit ratio map

Various EBT statistics can be posted here

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

Which colors would be best for this map (see message)?

A
20%
B
20%
C
60%

Total votes: 35

Klazu
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Klazu »

There was again few new newspaper articles. We're very close to the point where every big and small newspaper has published some sort of article about EBT. I guess this is pretty much the reason behind our 20 700 users. :D
Living away from Euro zone in the beautiful Vancouver, Canada since January 2012. Experiences and stories of living in here can be found in here (in Finnish).
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl »

why there are so many red dots in non-€ countries is following: there are only 40 entered notes in a dot, and one lucky hit in it. The other 20 dots with each 40 notes and no hits are not shown. So to say, these red dots are not representative.

The three green dots in Finnland are more interesting, there could be either fakers who entered notes that were not in Finnland, or users from 2002 who entered notes that have been taken from circulation before there were so many users.
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
pjr05
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by pjr05 »

I've just updated the map.
The colors are from red = 33 to blue = 2854.
Dots with a hitratio lower than 33 are shown as 33 (red), and dots with a hitratio higher than 2854 are shown as 2854 (blue). If I used a range from 1 (lowest hitratio) to about 13000 (highest hitratio), then you couldn't see smaller differences, between for example 200 and 300.
Klazu
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Klazu »

Burky wrote:
FANTAS wrote:What is the unlucky city with a blue dot in Finland?
If I used the dot-locating tool in the right way, these are the locations behind the dot:

Code: Select all

Country	City	Zip
Finland	Arctic Circle	96930
Finland	Korvatunturi	99999
Finland	Lappi	99999
Finland	Napapiiri	96930
Finland	Napapiiri Rovaniemi	96930
Finland	Rovaniemen maalaiskuna	97530
Finland	Rovaniemen maalaiskunta	97510
Finland	Rovaniemen maalaiskunta	97530
Finland	Rovaniemen mlk	97510
Finland	Rovaniemen mlk	97530
Finland	Rovaniemi	96930
Finland	Rovaniemi	97510
Finland	Rovaniemi	97530
Finland	Rovaniemi/lapland	96930
Finland	Vikajärvi	97510
Finland	Yli nampa	97530
Finland	Yli-nampa	97530
Finland	Ylinampa	97530
If this info about the blue-dot is right, then the reason is just that there have been so few notes entered from this location. This dot is right next to city of Rovaniemi (some 50 000 inhabitants) in Lappland and this post code area is the one where the Artic Circle is. So there are lots of tourist attractions in this post code are including Santa Park. So I'm a bit wondering, why there isn't any more notes from this popular locations and more hits. I guess many people are using the next dot's (the city center of Rovaniemi) post code since the location is just sme kilometres from the city.

This could be the explanation behind this one dot. :idea: Don't know about the others (since I don't even know what they are)
Living away from Euro zone in the beautiful Vancouver, Canada since January 2012. Experiences and stories of living in here can be found in here (in Finnish).
pjr05
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by pjr05 »

I've updated the map; see the first post in this topic. I'll try to update it from now on about every week.
packbell
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by packbell »

Really nice map !!
WinstonSmith
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by WinstonSmith »

Compliments for the map. But how is it generated? By looking at the Europe hits map one can clearly see that some dots have already hosted a hit, but their hit ratio is not shown here... :)
pjr05
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by pjr05 »

The map is generated with the Europe note map and the Europe hit map, but the dots with only one hit are ignored. I've done this because the first hit is too much a coincidence.
For example, a region with 1000 notes and 2 hits, spread out over 50 dots, would show as 2 red dots (20/1 = low hitratio) and 48 empty dots (20/0 = no hitratio), and it would look like as if the average hitratio of that region was very low. So therefore I've included only the reliable dots, with at least 2 hits or at least 1000 notes.
WinstonSmith
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by WinstonSmith »

Seems really reasonable. Good job 8)

A somewhat trickier job would be to make a map where the hitratio doesn't vary from dot to dot, but it's averaged on countries, and, for big countries, on local subdivisions (which you would draw following the dots, according to the region where most of the dot is located; regions would not follow a precise shape). I.e. all the dots in Belgium take the same colour as the average hit ratio in Belgium; all the dots in north-eastern Germany take the same colour as the average hit of that region.
This would help to make the map easily readable for France, Italy, Spain, and somewhat Germany too, because areas which are now poorly covered or which feature odd dots would be covered better. :P

Return to “EuroBillTracker Statistics”