Discussion about the European Association of EuroBillTrackers

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Yok's

Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Press Release - Communication WG

Post by Phaseolus »

This first message has been originally written by Mr. Euro

Please feel free to use the following press release for sending to your national media.

Please take care to translate it into your national idiom and to add your personal contact details.

Thank you for your input.

Mr Euro wrote :

Hey,

The 50.000.000 note has been entered. Time to concentrate on a press-release. I've found an old topic about a press-release and I think is really good to re-use it.

---------------------------
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

contact@eurobilltracker.com
http://www.eurobilltracker.com

EURO BILL TRACKER REACHES 50 000 000 REGISTERED BILLS

Paris, France -- September 18, 2008 -- The top Euro bill tracking site has announced that it is now tracking a total of over 50 000 000 Euro bills, registered on the site by users from various countries, mainly from the Euro zone. The 50-millionth note was a German 5 EUR note which was found in The Netherlands, Leeuwarden.

The idea behind the website is very simple: see how the bills travel around the world and give users a chance to find out where their bills have been and where they go. A more scientific aspect of the site is the diffusion section where monthly charts show how the proportion of foreign bills increases with time in each country. In order for this to happen, users enter the information about the bills they have and indicate where they got each bill. If the bill is already in the database, the previous users who have entered that bill are notified via email.

The success of the site in so many European countries is probably due to the fact that the site was designed to be multilingual from the start. The site is available in all Euro-zone languages thanks to a group of translators who give their time and assistance to the site.

Eurobilltracker.com is a shiny example of European community spirit. It was created by a Frenchman, further developped and maintained by a Finnish programmer and a German webmaster and more than 80 volunteers from all euro-countries are helping out. Recently, they created a french based non-profit organisation out of it, with boardmembers of every eurozonecountry.

The site has a lively european community which gets bigger and bigger. Last augustus they have met each other on an international meeting in Ljubljana, Slovenia. The years before they went to Brussels(Belgium), Helsinki (Finland), Amsterdam(The Netherlands) and Berlin (Germany).

-----
ABOUT http://WWW.EUROBILLTRACKER.COM

* Information about the eurobilltracker.com project is available at http://www.eurobilltracker.com

* Diffusion of Euro bills is available at http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/diffusion

* The Eurobilltracker website was inspired by the Where's George website (http://www.wheresgeorge.com) but hopes to go beyond its big brother. The site went online on January 1st, 2002 to coincide with the introduction of the Euro in European countries.

* Project Statistics as of 19 september, 2008:
130 706 users
50 000 000 bills, 1 029 993 360 EUR
229 566 double bill entries

---------------------------
sen-chuan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Press Release - Communication WG

Post by sen-chuan »

That's good. But, I'm wondering: we, members of Communication WG, have an appropriate forum for internal communication. Why we don't use it, and link in every National Forum translated news from there? :? Just a question, nothing else.
[EBTCkeck - my EBT Stats aggiornamento/updating: 06.03.2024
De-Ker
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by De-Ker »

Sent the press release to Cyprus mail since there isn't a active Cypriot user on the forums. I sent it to cyprus mail since it's the only newspaper in English.. so I don't have to translate it.. in a language I don't know :p

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/news/

hopefully they will use it and we get some Cypriot users
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

Thanks Phaseolus and Mr Euro,

I already forwarded it to 3 maltese newspapers and 1 web site.
Schlauchen
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Location: Kleinschwarzenbach / Helmbrechts / Franconia / Germany

Post by Schlauchen »

I translated the text in german and sent it to various german (=20) and - as I don't think there's a WG-member from Austria - 5 austrian newspapers.

Hopefully, some newspapers will print it ;-)
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

I know, it would take some more time, but isn't it better to print this release on paper and send it by mail to the journalists?

Because they get a lot of e-mails, which can be considered as "Spam", you have a chance they won't read it.

When it's written down, they'll always read it.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

I fully agree.

But, such operations need some funding.

For the moment, there is no money yet on the table. The money collected by the association is dedicated to finance the hosting of the website.

I would have liked to have the newsletter sent, but now that our bank account has been closed down I must first find another solution for this. (And I will be busy for the next three weeks, therefor no solutions available soon... :evil: )
sen-chuan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by sen-chuan »

eddydevries wrote:I know, it would take some more time, but isn't it better to print this release on paper and send it by mail to the journalists?
Because they get a lot of e-mails, which can be considered as "Spam", you have a chance they won't read it.
Yep, so I'll send via mail 20 letters in envelopes to editorial staffs that refuse my e-mail... I know this could be espensive, but I consider it as a sort of donation to EBT :lol: I use fax too.
sen-chuan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by sen-chuan »

By the way, when will the Press Section update?
Does will it be also an approriate e-mail address for Press Section?
Last edited by sen-chuan on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jenny&me
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by jenny&me »

eddydevries wrote:I know, it would take some more time, but isn't it better to print this release on paper and send it by mail to the journalists?

It depends on the country, because we sent a release only by e-mail and we had 2 newspaper articles, 3 interviews on radio and 1 on TV.
http://www.osebna-terapija.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yuriss
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by yuriss »

i have send this to a dutch courant Noord hollands dagblad whit a lot of readers
Annie_in_exile
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Annie_in_exile »

Even though I applaud Mr Euro for writing this piece, could you please have a native English-speaker have a good look at the text and maybe re-formulate some sentences? In addition, there are some minor spelling mistakes like augustus and european. (I'm by no means capable of doing it myself it but it seems that the text would really profit from a bit of proof-reading.) :wink: :oops:
De-Ker
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by De-Ker »

Annie_in_exile wrote:Even though I applaud Mr Euro for writing this piece, could you please have a native English-speaker have a good look at the text and maybe re-formulate some sentences? In addition, there are some minor spelling mistakes like augustus and european. (I'm by no means capable of doing it myself it but it seems that the text would really profit from a bit of proof-reading.) :wink: :oops:
I agree with you, a native English speaker or resident of for instance Ireland, could be a great help. When I was copy pasting the text into an e-mail my firefox language plugin already highlighted some mistake's. Such mistakes can easily be corrected, especially by an native English speaker (like annie pointed out)

thumbs up tho!
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

I've changed a couple of phrases, like Getting bigger and bigger, rather than gets bigger & bigger, and previous years, instead of the years before.

Also, I'm not so sure about the diffusion bit, cause with the pooling of notes, statistics might not be that exact.
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

Sorry if I'm using the wrong topic, but...

Will a newsletter be sent out to all EBT'ers, now that our number one is no longer number one? I mean, I expect / suspect that some EBT'ers who don't visit the forum are thinking "What's going on?". And of course not just because of the demise of Pincopallino, but of other users as well (some smaller, some bigger). Some "small time" user who lost a hit without seeing explanation will no doubt scratch his head thinking "Did I do something wrong?"

P.S. I saw the message in the "News" section of EBT after some other forum users pointed at it, but without this pointer I wouldn't have checked this section. I think more users do not ever read the "News" section.

P.S.2 How often are newsletters released to members? I saw the e-card at around January 1, 2009, but before that it's been a very long time IIRC.

Return to “European Association of EuroBillTrackers”