poll on the heavy recorders on EBT

Tell us who you are, where you from, etc...

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

blackyb
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

poll on the heavy recorders on EBT

Post by blackyb »

what makes me suspicious are users who entered hundred thousands of notes. when the records are not faked how do they master 1) to get on the bills 2) how do they organize to enter the data.
Do they work in a bank or cashpoint? Do they have scanners? I can't imagine that a scanner will identify the printer code because I personally have sometimes troubles to identify it. When I take into account to enter 3 bills per minute (that is about my rate) a user who entered 200.000 bills must have spent about 1100 hours or some 27 working weeks (that is mor than half year) on that task. how do honest recorders manage this? 8O
De-Ker
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by De-Ker »

well first of all, yeah there are people working in banks.

When you have a bundle of 25 uncirculated notes you could just write the first one down and then constantly adding 9 in that series. I personally just copy-paste the first note and then just change the last 2 numbers
You only have to add the serialnumber once because it's the same for all notes

I think you can then make 25 notes in 2 minutes

Oh and don't use a laptop or notebook but a regular keyboard with a numpad ;)

Oh and some big users (not all) are groups, so they enter with let's say 4 people
ravestorm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by ravestorm »

De-Ker wrote: When you have a bundle of 25 uncirculated notes you could just write the first one down and then constantly adding 9 in that series. I personally just copy-paste the first note and then just change the last 2 numbers
But sometime, in the same bundle, short code changes so you should check it...
«Io dormirò tranquillo perché so che il mio peggior nemico veglia su di me.»
  • Biondo - Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo

PLEASE, DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!

Il 19.09.2013 ho scritto: Comicerò a cambiare atteggiamento da ora in poi, quindi che il forum non si lamenti se da ora in avanti verranno prese misure drastiche.
klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: poll on the heavy recorders on EBT

Post by klapotec »

blackyb wrote:1) to get on the bills
enter bank A with, say, 1000 euros in :note-5: and exchange them for, say :note-500:, write those down to enter when at home (I have a book for that), then enter bank B to exchange back into :note-5: or whatever, go to the nearest computer and enter them at EBT; lather, rinse, repeat
blackyb wrote:2) how do they organize to enter the data.
what do you mean? getting up early and going to bed late and knowing the opening hours of all banks within 10 kilometers by heart and using every opportunity to get bills exchanged all sure help
blackyb wrote:Do they work in a bank or cashpoint?
a few do; I don't
blackyb wrote: Do they have scanners? I can't imagine that a scanner will identify the printer code because I personally have sometimes troubles to identify it.
some use a pen scanner for the serial numbers to save on some typing (with mixed results), but no-one's found a way to mechanically read the printer code yet; I think I'm still faster just typing
blackyb wrote: When I take into account to enter 3 bills per minute (that is about my rate)
wow, I thought that I'm a slow typer (I don't do the 10-finger-thing and I don't usually use the numerical block for entering serial numbers except when they're mostly consecutive in a pack of brand new notes) - but I usually manage to enter 6 to 7 notes a minute; and I need about half an hour to write down 100 serial numbers in my book if I'm not near a computer (which take another nearly quarter of an hour to enter at the PC then)
blackyb wrote:a user who entered 200.000 bills must have spent about 1100 hours or some 27 working weeks (that is mor than half year) on that task. how do honest recorders manage this? 8O
well, considering my faster entry rate about halves those numbers, it's still a lot; the answer is giving up other hobbies and devoting too much time to EBT, really :roll:; but overall, 200 notes per working day shouldn't be too much of a problem to get hold of in a medium-to-large city - that's more than 50000 notes a year, and those add up ;)
Last edited by klapotec on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Beatminister
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Beatminister »

@blackyb: this question is frequently asked by newcomers, and I can understand why - I couldn´t believe it myself when I began tracking.
Yet it is possible to enter several hundred notes inside a few hours, by using the right tools. One very helpful tool is the EBT Tool program, that provides entry forms for 25 notes at a time with the option of using default values (set by you). To fill in the serial numbers I use a pen scanner - the printer codes I enter by hand since the scanner is unable to read them, as you assume correctly. This way I need 6-8 minutes for 25 notes.
Where to get the notes from is a different issue, I get them from a bank. People who work in a bank or shop have a advantage there, of course.
klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by klapotec »

Beatminister wrote:To fill in the serial numbers I use a pen scanner - the printer codes I enter by hand since the scanner is unable to read them, as you assume correctly. This way I need 6-8 minutes for 25 notes.
I was right then, I am faster typing the numbers in. 8O
ErGo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ErGo »

ravestorm wrote:But sometime, in the same bundle, short code changes so you should check it...
Sometimes? Often! My personal record was over 10 changes in a bundle with brandnew notes!

But generally entering a bundle with old notes is not so time consuming as notes from the wild. In the first case my rate is about 100 notes in 15 minutes, in the second i don't know. Changing between denominations, comments and checking to avoid errors takes a lot of time.

Try EBT-Tool, it makes the thing lot easier.

And if you need some hints where you get notes in Vienna, take a look at the following thread (read post number 3: "Bankspaziergänge"!)
TARAPIATAPIOCA
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by TARAPIATAPIOCA »

pdftt!
eurobilltracker e' un bel gioco,ma chi lo gestisce fa pietà.
e' come tifare per una squadra sportiva con un presidente idiota,contesti,borbotti,ma continui a tifare sperando che il presidente sparisca presto.
Beatminister
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Beatminister »

klapotec wrote:
Beatminister wrote:To fill in the serial numbers I use a pen scanner - the printer codes I enter by hand since the scanner is unable to read them, as you assume correctly. This way I need 6-8 minutes for 25 notes.
I was right then, I am faster typing the numbers in. 8O
Well, perhaps I could do it in 4-5 minutes if I really try hard... but you know how it is... a bit of coffee here, cigarette there... at least it´s much less exhausting not having to read the serials. :wink:
And the scanning works quiet well - a serial every 2-3 seconds - I doubt you can read and type that fast. :D
blackyb
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by blackyb »

De-Ker wrote:well first of all, yeah there are people working in banks.

When you have a bundle of 25 uncirculated notes you could just write the first one down and then constantly adding 9 in that series. I personally just copy-paste the first note and then just change the last 2 numbers

I think you can then make 25 notes in 2 minutes

Oh and don't use a laptop or notebook but a regular keyboard with a numpad ;)

Oh and some big users (not all) are groups, so they enter with let's say 4 people
Yes getting fresh notes makes the job a little quicker, but the majority I get from bank are bundles with used notes. But doing recording quite automatically is dangerous. I always find jumps and breaks in bank fresh bundles. If you don't care the quality of the entered data is quite bad. I enter the notes in a private database which performes some checks on the numbers. Also on ET it is usual to enter also the signature of the director of UNB. I trace the time of recording in my DB an the rate of about 3 notes pm I found is the long rate during the last years. It seems to me that there are lot of bad entriey in EBT because of very weak checking. I am very carful on entering data but when I muved vom myEuro to Eurotracer I found that although there where a lot of invalid entries. Thar was oly detected during the masive plausibility checks on ET.
blackyb
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by blackyb »

ErGo wrote: Try EBT-Tool, it makes the thing lot easier.
What is EBT Tool, I only know the Field at the bottom where you can enter a list of 25 notes then click to fill it in the form an then click to enter the form. That is quite anoying. Is there a better tool like tjum's script for ET?
klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by klapotec »

blackyb wrote:Thar was oly detected during the masive plausibility checks on ET.
Yes, plausibility checks are the one main thing missing from EBT, so we get quantity instead of quality. The overwhelming majority of the data should be good though.
For myself, I know most combinations of short code and serial number that usually occur in Austria; when I get something unusual, I check it against reliable sources, because I am a stickler for data quality (at least my own).
klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by klapotec »

blackyb wrote:
ErGo wrote: Try EBT-Tool, it makes the thing lot easier.
What is EBT Tool, I only know the Field at the bottom where you can enter a list of 25 notes then click to fill it in the form an then click to enter the form. That is quite anoying. Is there a better tool like tjum's script for ET?
Here you can find some tools. There is no (publically avaialabe) equivalent to tjum's script, though (that I know of).
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

I understand your query, blackyb.

I has your same questions when i started tracking EURO's. Nowadays, with more than 9000 notes in less than 4 months, I realised that it is possible.

I work in a cashpoint, and for me, it's very easy to have cash available for tracking. What is not easy for me is finding time to do it, while I should be working, without letting my colleagues realise what I'm doing.

l
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

I heard someone in Finland had written the most usual short codes on a piece of paper with a font large enough for the pen scanner to read them ;)
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!

Return to “EuroBillTracker Users”