Which languages do you know?

Tell us who you are, where you from, etc...

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

tinka
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Which languages do you know?

Post by tinka »

I could see that some regular posters here post in different languages.
I'm curieus how many languages do you speak and how many do you write?
me:
dutch: birthlanguage
English: write will do, speaking is easyer
French : what i learned at school and what i sometimes learn when i have a french client in the store
German : a few words

greetz katie
Last edited by tinka on Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
click me please, im saving points for a IPod
http://www.ipodvoorniks.nl/?page=clicks&ref=7801
Aaron
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aaron »

My languages:

Finnish: mother tongue
English: practically my second language
Swedish: Do understand quite well and can speak some
Estonian: Understand and speak some
German: A couple of words (on "Ein Bier bitte" -level)
Working on Hungarian, in the future maybe on Dutch too... :roll:
Benighted
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Benighted »

Dutch/Nederlands: mother tongue
French/français: un peu :)
English: The most I can understand, but writing or talking is more difficult for me
German/Deutch: 2 years ago, I learned it at school for one year; at the moment I just know a few words
Spanish/espagnol: si, non, por favor, aqua cin gas, aqua con gas, fanta naranja => that's all :)
South-African: it's almost the same as Dutch, if I can read it it's easy, but if they speak too me, it's too fast to understand.
Last edited by Benighted on Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ontdek het Antwerpse polderdorp Zandvliet: http://www.zandvlietdorp.be
!Pretfles!
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by !Pretfles! »

My languages:

Dutch (mother tongue)

French (father tongue)

you have to take this for real because my mom speaks dutch and my father french

other languages:

English

German (very basic what I learned at school)

Spanish (very basic what I learned at school and on holidays)

Drents (dutch dialect from the northern part of the Netherlands because my fiancee is from there)

Hungarian (a few words because I often go there, my girlfriends father lives there, still learning more and more of it)

some Italian (holidays)

and Latin (from my education in highschool but I've forgotten everything now off course)
My Flickr
Personal Blog
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
('.)_('.) webpage to help him gain world domination.
!Pretfles!
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by !Pretfles! »

Aaron wrote: Working on Hungarian, in the future maybe on Dutch too... :roll:
Viszontlàtàsra Aaron

:lol:

for the non-Hungarianspeaking among us
I just said "goodbye"

8)
My Flickr
Personal Blog
(\__/)
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

First of all: a great topic!

Then.. Let's start:
Finnish: Birthlanguage
Swedish: Language I'm forced to learn although I'll never need it anywhere. I can read it and also listen to, if spelled clearly. Normally I'll stick to English.
English: A language I nowadays seem to use a lot more than Finnish. When I'm entering serial numbers of notes I often end up mumbling the numbers in English while writing them :))
French: A language I just started learning in school. Got 135 minutes of learning it behind. So beware, French forum!
German: When me brother started learning German some six years ago I read a few chapters of his German book just for curiousity. Knew more German than my brother for a few months :)) Also my girlfriend speaks fluent German as she's lived in Germany. And whatever she's interested in, I try to be, too :]
Dutch: A language I'm very keen to nowadays. Has maany words and grammatical this and that from Swedish and English languages although spelled a bit differently. I can read somewhat well even without a dictionary using my English, Swedish and very limited German skills.
Woman: Well.. Can speak to people speaking that language but can't understand what they're talking about.
Russian: I once spent a lot of time with a girl who liked Russia very much. So, I learned parts of the language just for fun. Fell in love with the cyrillic alphabet and got a Russian webmail :)) BTW, that Russian webmail (yandex.ru) is the best webmail out there. This is how I learned Russian: I had an Ericsson's cell phone. It had tens and tens of languages to choose from. Including Finnish, Arabian, Icelandic, Hebrew, Srpski, Greek, English and Russian. Russian and Srpski (Serbian, if I've understood right) have _very_ much in common. Srpski words are practically the same as Russian although written with latin alphabetics. So, I read a text in a menu in the phone in Russian, then compared it to the text in Srpski. Learned the alphabetics that way. Then compared Russian words to Finnish words and learned to use the phone in Russian language without any problems. Used the phone in Russian for some six months or so :))
Estonian: The country's Finland's brother. And so is the language :) They speak a language that looks more like a dialect of Finland than a distinct language. Most of the postpositions are quite the same. Well.. Ok.. Estonian isn't /that/ easy because the vocabulary is different. I've used some Estonian web services. For example I used to order all of my cell phone logos from Estonia when it was still free that way :))
Norwegian and Danish: These are just Swedish with different wrapping.

I'm going to learn also Spanish or Italian some day. That's one reason why I want to learn French. They don't teach Spanish or Italian in our school and I can use French to learn then later :)
I've also thought of learning Polish some day. They'll soon be in EU and there are 40 million of them. And there aren't much people speaking both Finnish and Polish :) Now I can also say "Czesc, kurwa", which means "Hi, bitch" :?
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
!Pretfles!
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by !Pretfles! »

Dakkus wrote:First of all: a great topic!

Woman: Well.. Can speak to people speaking that language but can't understand what they're talking about.

thats a language a man can't understand anything of

I stopped trying it years ago

:P
My Flickr
Personal Blog
(\__/)
Aaron
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aaron »

!Pretfles! wrote:
Aaron wrote: Working on Hungarian, in the future maybe on Dutch too... :roll:
Viszontlàtàsra Aaron

:lol:
Köszi :wink:

Actually, Hungarian is not a very difficult language - it just differs a lot from Indo-European languages. But DON'T think it helps Finnish and Hungarian belong to the same language group - they are about as close to each other as Swedish and Persian. So, a Finn understands Hungarian as well as Swedish understand Ayatollah Khomeini's speeches... :wink:

My girlfriend is Hungarian (from Szeged). Quite many of my good friends in Turku come from Netherlands (Limburg, Groningen, Delft). That's why I'm interested in these languages. :D
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Finnish: My native language. I read, write and speak Finnish fluently, unless I'm talking to an attractive young girl in which case I typically forget what I was saying and make a fool of myself. Well, c'est la vie.
Swedish: As with all Finns, we're forced to study this language in school. I used to be pretty good in Swedish back then, but now that I haven't used the language for a long time I've forgotten some of the words and such. Which reminds me, I should probably take the compulsory Swedish course at university if I'm supposed to graduate some day.. hmmh. Fortunately Swedish is a very easy language to learn, for example the English grammar is much more complex.
English: I used to correct my English teacher in high school when she made mistakes... I'm not sure if my score in the English matriculation exams was the highest or the second highest in my school, but I guess I did quite well.
German: I've studied German for about 5 years but as with Swedish, I've forgotten some of the words and parts of the grammar. I can still read German texts without problems, but I'll have to think twice before I start writing in German.
Italian: I studied Italian for half a year at university mostly as a hobby, but stopped when it came apparent that I really didn't have the required time to study it enough.. I may restart those studies some day, though.
Latin: I can understand written Latin surprisingly well, partially because of its common roots with English and other languages, and partially because the latin language knowledge has diffused into me through family relations. Finnish Broadcasting Company broadcasts news in Latin (Nuntii Latini), I sometimes listen to those news and try to figure out what's the news about. Click on Recitatio to listen to the latest news. Here are some instructions if you run into problems listening to the stream.
FBC wrote:Novissima emissio Nuntiorum Latinorum per rete informaticum Internet audiri potest, si in apparatu phonocharta et aliquod audioprogramma (e.g. RealAudio) inest.

Computatrum tuum salutationis proximae meminit recitationemque veterem quaerit. Si recentissimi nuntii non statim aperiuntur, functione iterum onerandi aut recreandi ('reload' aut 'refresh') utere.
Sneakster
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Sneakster »

More info can also be found here:
http://forum.eurobilltracker.eu/viewtopic.php?t=784
to view earlier reactions of some other members. :idea:
tinka
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by tinka »

thanks, i thought that the topic should be mutch earlier, but i could 'nt find it.

But i find it not so bad to get it underneath the dust because a person can learn allot of new languages in a year.

unfortunally, i don't , i got stuck whit the languages i now a few years ago :oops:
click me please, im saving points for a IPod
http://www.ipodvoorniks.nl/?page=clicks&ref=7801
Sneakster
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Sneakster »

tinka wrote:thanks, i thought that the topic should be mutch earlier, but i could 'nt find it.

But i find it not so bad to get it underneath the dust because a person can learn allot of new languages in a year.

unfortunally, i don't , i got stuck whit the languages i now a few years ago :oops:
If you are looking for earlier topics you can use the search function on top of the screen :idea:
querty
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by querty »

Dutch is my birthlanguage. French, German and English I learned at school. I studied Tourism so I had to learn them. I know also a few words Spanish and Italian. I think those two are the most beautiful languages in the world.
bhoeyb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by bhoeyb »

My Dutch and English is good. After using French for a week, it's good again. German , Spanish and Italian is hard to talk but easier to understand -I don't use it often- And Afrikaans (had an Afrikaanse penpal). Finnish, only a few words :roll: . Need to go more on vacation in Finland to learn Finnish :wink: .
Chiel
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Chiel »

My fluent languages are Dutch, English and German. Then there is French, c'est obligatoire à l'école :(
And I can speak Norwegian reasonably. In a few weeks I'm going to study Norwegian, Swedish and Danish at the university of Groningen in the north of the Netherlands. That has only one big disadvantage, Gronings, the local dialect, it's so hard........I can understand spoken Gronings reasonably after 2 weeks now, but I don't think I'll ever speak it myself........
Money in hand, that´s buying / Penger i hånden, det er kjøp --- Erlend Loe

Return to “EuroBillTracker Users”