Elevator Poll

Tell us who you are, where you from, etc...

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

How many times do you use an elevator?

over 10 times a day
5%
1 - 10 times a day
22%
a few times a week
16%
a few times a month
49%
never, I realy hate elevators
9%

Total votes: 210

Chiel
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Chiel »

A month ago I moved to a flat on the top (7th) floor. Most of the time I use the stairs. I only use the elevator when I'm carrying things.
Money in hand, that´s buying / Penger i hånden, det er kjøp --- Erlend Loe
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Tiger »

The longest elevator I ever used was in the World Trade Center back in 1997.
It was really fast, it started braking when we were at 75% from the top... :)
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
Ralf
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ralf »

I never use an ellevator.
Viperazzi
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Viperazzi »

I live on the ground floor (1st floor in Finland) but my school has eight stories and two basement stories. So I use it if I have to travel more than three stories at once. The elevators at the school are called Schindler.

The best elevators I've used have been in the Empire State Building in New York City and in this one.
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

Osku-82 wrote:I live on the ground floor (1st floor in Finland)
It's funny how people always say ground floor is floor number one in Finland.

This is how it's worked in all places I've lived in:

P
K

P means the ground floor and K is basement. That's how it's in all Finnish houses built between 1960 and 2004.
However, if there are appartments also in the ground floor, it goes like this:
K

I think it's more logical that ground floor is 1st floor, but still I find it very annoying that according to my German book "im zweitem Stock" means "in third floor". Because I'm not rich enough to live in the houses where they've got 1st floor as the ground floor, I always feel like that means there must be some "non-floor" between the ground floor and 1st floor.

So.. According to my German book Germans do it this way:

?
P
K

Just annoying..
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
jabosa2
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by jabosa2 »

I voted : a few times a month but this should " a few times a year"
Steun het Nederlandse Rode Kruis.
www.rodekruis.nl/
My stats
groentje
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by groentje »

It's also a difference between British and American English. However, I forgot what's what. :oops: But I believe British tend to use the term ground floor, since that's what I learned at school, and the norm was British English.
hoppa
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by hoppa »

Dakkus wrote:I think it's more logical that ground floor is 1st floor, but still I find it very annoying that according to my German book "im zweitem Stock" means "in third floor". Because I'm not rich enough to live in the houses where they've got 1st floor as the ground floor, I always feel like that means there must be some "non-floor" between the ground floor and 1st floor.

So.. According to my German book Germans do it this way:

?
P
K

Just annoying..
In English it sounds logical to call the ground floor the first floor but not in a lot of other languages. In Flemish we say "verdieping". For this word the translation is "level" and it means the upper-level of a house or appartment. So we say "benedenverdieping"=ground floor and then we start counting "1ste verdieping, 2de verdieping..." and in elevators it allways starts with 0 and counts then up or down

In French: same thing, they have the word "etage" and I think the German word "stock" has the same meaning.
it is better not to say anything and let people doubt if you're stupid; then to speak and take the doubt away. - Mark Twain
Klazu
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Klazu »

Some time ago I lived in the 5th floor, but today I'm living in 1st floor. I use elevator when available and if the building is has more than three floors.
Living away from Euro zone in the beautiful Vancouver, Canada since January 2012. Experiences and stories of living in here can be found in here (in Finnish).
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

Klazu wrote:Some time ago I lived in the 5th floor, but today I'm living in 1st floor. I use elevator when available and if the building is has more than three floors.
So.. Is this the first floor after the ground floor? Or the ground floor itself? Or possibly a floor three floors up from the ground floor or something like that? :D
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
Klazu
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Klazu »

It's the ground floor I live currently. Quite exotic here in Joensuu, when we have 60+ cm of snow during the winter. Almost to our windows. :D

I think finns count building floors too complicatedly. IMHO the number starts from the ground level and rises when going up. So ground floor is 1st floors etc.
Living away from Euro zone in the beautiful Vancouver, Canada since January 2012. Experiences and stories of living in here can be found in here (in Finnish).
bocky
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by bocky »

I voted "a few times a month", because I only use elevators when I go to some friends' home or to the mall or something like that. I live in the suburbs of Lisbon, in an area where there are no apartment buildings, only houses, and my school (which is in the center of Lisbon) has only two floors... And was built almost 100 years ago... :lol:

And in Portugal the elevators have these sequences:

Older buildings:
R/C
(Rés-do-Chão = Ground floor)
C/V (Cave = Basement)
S/C (Sub-Cave = hum... a floor below the basement, or the second basement - There aren't many buildings with a two-floor basement)

The newer buildings use this:

If someone lives in the ground floor, it lives in the Rés-do-Chão (R/C), and the first floor is the next.
bhoeyb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by bhoeyb »

Since Oct 12, 2003, I've changed jobs. At the moment, I'm on the 8th floor so you can be sure I still use the elevator +10 times a day (to pick up samples -0-, dishes -7th floor-, have dinner -4th-, ...) :lol: .
Our 3 elevators are going from -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13.
Donald
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Donald »

Dakkus wrote:So.. According to my German book Germans do it this way:

?
P
K

Just annoying..
The logic behind this is that the numbers describe the levels above the ground floor ("1. Obergeschoss", "2. Obergeschoss"... etc.) P is for "Parterre", it can also be E for "Erdgeschoss". K is for "Keller" (basement). Levels below ground can also be denominated with negative numbers. The are no mystery levels ("?") Some elevators have an emergency button ("Not-Halt") and a bell for the janitor.
milanocapitale
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by milanocapitale »

no occasion to use it.

but i like the city monuments elevators!many medioeval cities have them in italy to reach easily the fortified top
-THE ThREAD DIGGER-
Passi per quello sfigato di Marin, passi per quella zoccola della Bruni, passi per una fabbrica di debito come Alitalia ma EBT NO!(Manadou sta gran zoccola)
IO NON SONO MARINARETTO

Return to “EuroBillTracker Users”