Another Where's Georger here

Tell us who you are, where you from, etc...

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

[bplinson]

Another Where's Georger here

Post by [bplinson] »

Hi. I am new here and was referred form Where's George where I have the profile name of BERT and can be found here BERT's WG PROFILE

I live near Heidelberg Germany and hope to be very active here.

I have one question. How do you mark you Euro bills? Do you stamp them or just write the URL on them.

So far I have just written eurobilltracker.com

[Edit moderator: corrected url -- HNL]
Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Elmo »

Only if something is already written on the bill I stamp the URL on it,
because when something is written on the bill, there is a big chance the
bill gets destroyed. If something is written on the bill, it won't matter
anymore. But it is safest, esp. in Germany, not to write the URL on a
clean bill, to prevent destruction.
Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are 'It might have been.' - Kurt Vonnegut
Annie_in_exile
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Annie_in_exile »

Welcome, stranger :D It's nice to see new faces here (figuratively speaking).

I've had a mixed approach towards writing/stamping the url on the notes. When I first joined (and knew nothing) I thought it was an excellent idea and I remember writing the url on a handful of notes. (Yes, I know this comes as a surprise to some fellow users, but yes, I've done that. :roll: ). Nothing ever resulted from that, however, and I quickly changed my mind - if I was to have a hit, it should be an "unaided" one.

Then, a couple of months passed. And them some more... no hits. Now that I've got a couple of real ones, I thought it wouldn't harm to see whether adding the url would make any difference. So, last time I got a truly horrible, dirty, wrinkly note, I wrote the url on its margin. When registering the note, I mentioned that on the comment field, so should there be a hit, it would instantly be recognised. So, as a conclusion: in the future I might occasionally write the url on the note if it's near the end of its life, but I wouldn't bother ordering a stamp for that purpose.

Ugh. I've spoken.
bplinson
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by bplinson »

Doesn't it cost Europe a bunch of money to destroy a brand new bill just becuase it it written on or marked??

I mean it does not cost must to destory the bill but it sure does to replace them.
Bert

www.xlforum.org - Site Admin
hoppa
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by hoppa »

First of all: welcome to EBT.

About marking the bills. I've never done it so far, mainly because I don't have the time to do so. I spend already a lot of time writing the numbers down in order to take them nome with me. My coworkers wouldn't appreciate it if I made them work harder just because I have to write the url on every bill.
it is better not to say anything and let people doubt if you're stupid; then to speak and take the doubt away. - Mark Twain
Gauss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Gauss »

I've entered something like 750 bills in Where's George, marking about 70% of them. With that, I recieved a hit rate of approximately 9%.
I've entered something like 1200 bills here, marking about 0% of them. With that, I received a hit rate of approximately 0%.

However, it is important to note that the banking system works different in Europe. Bills get shipped very often to offices of the Central Bank (e.g., by default when you insert a note into a vending machine), and - with strictness vaying somewhat from country to country - sort out all notes with individuality (marks, fissures, dirt). The continuous replacing costs something, of course, but this is the ECB's policy. This policy may be part of the reason (apart from tradition in many central and northern european countries) why there are no 1EUR bills.
Speukes
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by Speukes »

Today I entered my first 9 bills on Where's George. Any other users of wheresgeorge.com here?
Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Fons »

Speukes wrote:Today I entered my first 9 bills on Where's George. Any other users of wheresgeorge.com here?
I entered one $1 bill.
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

Speukes wrote:Today I entered my first 9 bills on Where's George. Any other users of wheresgeorge.com here?
Two 1$ notes entered by me.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
Ganymede
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Ganymede »

I entered around $50 or $60, I can't quite remember, which I had left from my trip to Moscow.
I don't háve a life.
Gauss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Gauss »

Ganymede wrote:I entered around $50 or $60, I can't quite remember, which I had left from my trip to Moscow.
Moscow, Idaho, or Moscow, Russia?
Ganymede
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Ganymede »

Russia!

Did you know there's an America in The Netherlands?
I don't háve a life.
Gauss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Gauss »

Ganymede wrote:Russia!
Did you know there's an America in The etherlands?
Well there is also 09322 Amerika in Saxony
As for my question above, the University of Idaho, Moscow, is a world leading school in Graph Theory. And it is somewhat more likely to find US$ somewhere in Moscow, ID, than in Moscow, RU. So this question was very serious.
Ganymede
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Ganymede »

There were plenty of dollars in Moscow, Russia too... But I'm afraid I'll have to conceed the likelihood of finding them in Idaho is somewhat larger.

I'm not sure what Graph Theory is, but I can't think of anything else interesting about Idaho.
:wink:
I don't háve a life.
Frankjc3rd
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Frankjc3rd »

I am also on WheresGeorge.com. I registered here in case I ever came across a Euro.
Heart disease has changed my eating habits, but I still cook bacon just for the smell.
G. Carlin 1937-2008

Nothing is forever, but the internet comes close.
Anonymous

Return to “EuroBillTracker Users”