Do you miss the old money?

Tell us who you are, where you from, etc...

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

golfinha
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by golfinha »

giberski wrote:I don't really miss the old money, I more miss the old prices ;)
I agree, the new money came with new prices.... we don't allays notice because the "centavos" (Escudo cents) were rarelly used and it's value was almost none, when euro camepeople were used to "forguet" the cents and continued doing it, spending more money.

But sometimes, maybe for historical or cultural reasons I miss old money, like yesterday when I was looking at a collection of coins from some european countries.... And old 20$00 and 50$00 bills from the 80's (the Escudo sign is not this -$- but it's the nearest computers have... :| and ever had :? )
Last edited by golfinha on Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EnAk
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by EnAk »

There's two things I don't like about the euro.
First of all, the introduction of the euro was forced upon us. Dutch citizens didn't have anything to say when politicians decided to ditch the Guilder. :x In my opinion, only companies that do business in various EU countries profit from the introduction of the euro.

Second, and possibly even more important, the introduction of the euro caused inflation to soar (although politicians - them again! - still try to convince us that inflation really isn't that high and certainly not caused by the euro). :evil: Many shopkeepers seemed to think that €1,- equals ƒ2,-. In reality €1,- equals ƒ2,20371...

However, I try not to convert prices back to Guilders (except for big numbers, just to get an idea of how much it really is). The reason is simple: every time I try it, I'll live ten years less. I always get a big fright when I realize how much things cost in The post-euro Netherlands. 8O

The only reason for me to like the euro, is the possibility of tracking the notes all around Europe and the world. :wink:
Multiply by 2,20371
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

I agree the small items' prices have gone up, like a cup of coffee or something similar. If it used to be 2 FIM, it's in many cases 2 EUR now which is 6 times the old price. This is what people notice very easily.

OTOH, I believe that many people have become even more aware of prices now when it's common knowledge that some small items became too expensive. I personally "vote with my feet" many times nowadays: if it is not absolutely necessary to buy something from place A, I'll go and search for a cheaper price for the same item. If I cannot find one, I won't buy it at all.

This is of course not always possible, especially when it's a matter of time you can use for searching, or a matter of buying necessities. But I believe I have saved a lot by simply comparing prices and walking past the shops that have too pricy items.
Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Elmo »

EnAk wrote:There's two things I don't like about the euro.
First of all, the introduction of the euro was forced upon us. Dutch citizens didn't have anything to say when politicians decided to ditch the Guilder. :x In my opinion, only companies that do business in various EU countries profit from the introduction of the euro.
That is not true. Now you can go on holiday to Italy, Spain, Greece, Austria,
Finland or any other euro country without having to exchange your guilders
to lires, pesetas, drachmes, schillings, markkas or other currency, so you
don't have to pay exchanging costs anymore. And I am glad the Dutch
citizens didn't have anything to say about it, they would only use
arguments like "we'll lose our identity!" or "the euro money is much uglier
than guilder money!"
EnAk wrote:Second, and possibly even more important, the introduction of the euro caused inflation to soar (although politicians - them again! - still try to convince us that inflation really isn't that high and certainly not caused by the euro). :evil: Many shopkeepers seemed to think that €1,- equals ƒ2,-. In reality €1,- equals ƒ2,20371...
That's untrue. Look at this graph for the inflation over the period
2001-2004:
There you can see the inflation reached its highest point in Apr/May 2001,
and not 2002. In the forst months of the euro, the inflation was about 3,5%,
but people experienced the inflation to be 7,3% (see here, page 5)

The inflation was because the economy got overheated, not just because
of the euro. I won't deny the fact that prices have risen in, for example,
hotels, restaurants and cafes, but that effect was countered by the fact
that prices of cars and electronic stuff have dropped. Don't forget that
inflation has always existed, and prices have always been rising.

And let's not forget the psychological effect. People who see something is
priced €0,99 are more willing to buy it than if that same thing was priced
ƒ2,18. Besides, the €50 bill has about the same substantial colour as the
ƒ50 bill (orange and yellow), so people spent their euros as if they were
guilders. That also explains why the prices have risen in the supermarkets
those days: if people consume more, the prices will rise with a bigger
amount. But the last two years a price war has been going on between the
supermarkets, so the prices are at the level of the end of 2001.

Besides: many people compain about everything being more expensive
due to the euro, but they still buy those expensive products! How hypocrite!
If you think something is too expensive, then do not buy it!
EnAk wrote:However, I try not to convert prices back to Guilders (except for big numbers, just to get an idea of how much it really is). The reason is simple: every time I try it, I'll live ten years less. I always get a big fright when I realize how much things cost in The post-euro Netherlands. 8O
You should have done that, and wonder: "Do I want to pay this price for
that article?" If not, then don't buy it. If most people consider the price too
high, then eventually the price will go down. And besides that: by not
converting the price to guilders, you run a risk that you spend your euros
as if they are guilders, and then it is no wonder you experience everything
to be expensive!
EnAk wrote:The only reason for me to like the euro, is the possibility of tracking the notes all around Europe and the world. :wink:
It is the euro that binds us! 8)
Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are 'It might have been.' - Kurt Vonnegut
EnAk
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by EnAk »

Well, I agree that there are often possibilities to look for a cheaper alternative.
However, I still think that often even the cheapest alternative is more expensive than it was in the pre-euro era.
Multiply by 2,20371
Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Elmo »

The prices have risen, but the prices would also have risen without the euro.
In 2005 things are more expensive than in 2000, but in 2000 those things
were more expensive than in 1995, and 1995 was more expensive than
1990, and so on.

Exception: at the Burger King at Leiden Central Station, a medium banana
milkshake costs now €1,40 (ƒ3,08 ), while before the euro it was ƒ3,95! :!:
Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are 'It might have been.' - Kurt Vonnegut
EnAk
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by EnAk »

Elmo wrote:... you can go on holiday to Italy, Spain, Greece, Austria, Finland or any other euro country without having to exchange your guilders to lires, pesetas, drachmes, schillings, markkas or other currency, so you don't have to pay exchanging costs anymore.
I always thought paying with other currency to be an important part of the "holiday-feeling". Now that we can pay with the same currency everywhere, the fun of paying with strange, unknown currencies is gone. :cry:
Elmo wrote:And I am glad the Dutch citizens didn't have anything to say about it, they would only use arguments like "we'll lose our identity!" or "the euro money is much uglier than guilder money!"
And they would be so right! EU-regulations are becoming increasingly important in our country, so the big European countries (France, Germany, the UK) are already telling us what (not) to do.
Elmo wrote:That's untrue. Look at this graph for the inflation over the period 2001-2004:
Well, I'll admit to not being an expert on economy, but when I compare the prices I paid for my groceries before and after the introduction of the euro, I can't help but notice an increase (and I still buy about the same things as I did then).
Elmo wrote:
EnAk wrote:However, I try not to convert prices back to Guilders (except for big numbers, just to get an idea of how much it really is). The reason is simple: every time I try it, I'll live ten years less. I always get a big fright when I realize how much things cost in The post-euro Netherlands. 8O
You should have done that, and wonder: "Do I want to pay this price for that article?" If not, then don't buy it. If most people consider the price too high, then eventually the price will go down.
I'd like to do that, but please tell me what I'll eat while I wait for this to happen!
Elmo wrote:
EnAk wrote:The only reason for me to like the euro, is the possibility of tracking the notes all around Europe and the world. :wink:
It is the euro that binds us! 8)
I guess so. :wink:
Multiply by 2,20371
giberski
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by giberski »

Maybe I have to admit I'm really used to it now. And of course my age will have a big part in this, because I have it much easier then my parents (middle 50's). They change everything back to the guilders and I don't do it. Not even with big prices anymore. And of course all the prices were much higher in the beginning then now, but if I must believe Elmo, and his story (what I do) then it's getting better indeed. Well...hell, let's just enter the money ;)
Main organiser of EBTM06: Amsterdam and national meetings in Zwolle and Leiden.
Have you been to Holland? Join the Bingo
Licht & Feuer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: Im Osten des Westens der auch als Süden des Nordens betrachtet wird

Post by Licht & Feuer »

In Germany it was a psychological problem - with introduction of the Euro every price seems to be the half and a lot of people didn't recognize that the prices in fact were higher now.
Another interesting detail is, that the 50 € note comes with nearly the same size and colour like the old 50 DM note. Before the Euro, the most usual notes you get from the bank for daily use were 50 DMs, nowadays it's 50 € - though 50 € are nearly worth 100 DM!

To prevent this trap I still caught myself somtimes thinking like "Oh just 19,99... wait a minute.. this is nearly 40 Mark!" :roll:
But yes I like the Euro! :D
daniellez
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by daniellez »

No, I do not miss the old money, but I regret the fact that our politicians admitted last week that they sold "our" guilder too easily. It was linked to the German mark, but that had become weaker, but the Dutch politicians had not reset the value of the guilder compared to the mark. That's a shame, but we can't do anything about that anymore.
Progress is a comfortable disease - E.E. Cummings
hailtotheking
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by hailtotheking »

Yeah, right sell our Dutch Guilder to easily
and raise the salary of themselves 30%. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
http://game.desert-operations.nl/?recru ... d=d29ybGQx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <== klik link en speel/Click and play
tazz_
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by tazz_ »

I don't miss the old money either (Belgian Frank)
in the beginnen it was rather confusing, but now i think in Euro's..
milanocapitale
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by milanocapitale »

In italy if u don't recalculate everything u could be poor soon!it's impossible to see how much the prices increased!
-THE ThREAD DIGGER-
Passi per quello sfigato di Marin, passi per quella zoccola della Bruni, passi per una fabbrica di debito come Alitalia ma EBT NO!(Manadou sta gran zoccola)
IO NON SONO MARINARETTO

Return to “EuroBillTracker Users”