Google Maps

Concerns? Let us know by posting here.

Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus, dserrano5

User avatar
vermeer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 12638
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:36 am
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands

Re: Google Maps Beta Test

Postby vermeer » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:42 pm

Is it true that i can not zoom in and out on the map?

User avatar
de*lerger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4636
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 9:24 pm
Location: Lies - Terschelling (NL)

Re: Google Maps Beta Test

Postby de*lerger » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:40 pm

Something funny is going on in the pacific.
I have 3 dots east of the 180° line and 2 dots west. When I put the 180° line in the middle only the 3 dots to the east appear. But when I shove the line slowly to the east suddenly these 3 disappear and the 2 to the west are visible. The 5 of them never show up together.
My map

User avatar
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4929
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:38 pm
Location: Away from home (once again)
Contact:

Re: Google Maps Beta Test

Postby Jes » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:14 pm

de*lerger wrote:Something funny is going on in the pacific.
I have 3 dots east of the 180° line and 2 dots west. When I put the 180° line in the middle only the 3 dots to the east appear. But when I shove the line slowly to the east suddenly these 3 disappear and the 2 to the west are visible. The 5 of them never show up together.

True! That's rather funny!! I also have got some dots there 'recently' so I was able to experiment that in my map as well :o
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)

User avatar
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1417
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:33 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Google Maps Beta Test

Postby Nerzhul » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:41 pm

There's nothing I can do about that. Dots are drawn as a single image which is defined to span a specific area. Apparently Google Maps don't wrap custom overlays around the dateline; something which is not trivial btw.

The same behaviour can be observed with the Grid. I tried various approaches to wrap the grid around the dateline, but all ended up with certain bugs and side effects. So for now the Grid simply is not defined around the dateline :-)

Btw, the map code is open source and well documented. So feel free to improve the Google Dotmap and see if you can find a solution.
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter

User avatar
R/J
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2299
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 12:04 pm
Location: Eindhoven & omgeving, Nederland

Re: Google Maps Beta Test

Postby R/J » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:55 pm

Nerzhul wrote:There's nothing I can do about that. Dots are drawn as a single image which is defined to span a specific area. Apparently Google Maps don't wrap custom overlays around the dateline; something which is not trivial btw.

The same behaviour can be observed with the Grid. I tried various approaches to wrap the grid around the dateline, but all ended up with certain bugs and side effects. So for now the Grid simply is not defined around the dateline :-)

Btw, the map code is open source and well documented. So feel free to improve the Google Dotmap and see if you can find a solution.


One time I actually managed to make the grid disappear, apparently by centering exactly on the date line.
My NIG stats have finally disappeared. My EBTST stats are still available.

MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1748
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:52 am
Location: Helden, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Google Maps Beta Test

Postby MDeen » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:59 pm

Why don't you take the location of the markers from the notes itself? I have a few markers that are way off while EBT puts them on the correct location. Two that jump out: Büchen is put north of Marburg (450 km to the south, there in't even a village there) and Rahden is put near Barenburg (30 km to the north).

The same for the city name of the marker. It is really confusing to see a marker for location xyz while I never entered a note there.

User avatar
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4929
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:38 pm
Location: Away from home (once again)
Contact:

Re: Google Maps Beta Test

Postby Jes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:02 am

I noticed that the Hit-maps don't have the propper link to the maps. Is that for some particular reason? 8O (I'm just curious to know it)
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)

User avatar
vermeer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 12638
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:36 am
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands

Re: Google Maps Beta Test

Postby vermeer » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:15 am

I see a place called Urk (Flevoland) located in the sea north of Domburg (Zeeland). Both are located in the Netherlands.

User avatar
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1417
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:33 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Google Maps Beta Test

Postby Nerzhul » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:28 pm

Jes wrote:I noticed that the Hit-maps don't have the propper link to the maps. Is that for some particular reason? 8O (I'm just curious to know it)

The Hitmaps aren't ready yet and still in beta test.
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter

User avatar
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4929
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:38 pm
Location: Away from home (once again)
Contact:

Re: Google Maps Beta Test

Postby Jes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:36 pm

Nerzhul wrote:
Jes wrote:I noticed that the Hit-maps don't have the propper link to the maps. Is that for some particular reason? 8O (I'm just curious to know it)

The Hitmaps aren't ready yet and still in beta test.

Ok, I didn't know. Sorry :oops:
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)

User avatar
kettenseger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1122
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:49 pm
Location: 41334 Nettetal, Germany
Contact:

Re: Google Maps Beta Test

Postby kettenseger » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:55 am

Nerzhul wrote:...
The URL-parameter for enabling the dotcount (;dotcount=1) is now supported. There's also a new parameter to pre-set the map type (;maptype=1/2/3/4, where 1 = normal map, 2 = satellite, 3 = hybrid satellite, default = terrain) which allows you to bookmark your favorite map display settings. (Example)


is it possible to configure the link to the google map in my profile?

User avatar
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4313
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:20 pm
Location: Myeenack, Chairmany
Contact:

Re: Google Maps Beta Test

Postby androl » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:54 am

here a location is displayed at a wrong place in lower zoom steps, but correctly at higher steps. Is this a problem with the display of only one location for one city at lower zoom steps? I have not entered notes in any other location in the Gammertingen profile (the other locations are completely unused), so it should show the same place as the main Gammertingen..?
Attachments
gammer1.jpg
gammer1.jpg (47.83 KiB) Viewed 2227 times
gammer2.jpg
gammer2.jpg (61.69 KiB) Viewed 2227 times
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."

User avatar
googlejaps
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3228
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Google Maps Beta Test

Postby googlejaps » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:44 am

I also encountered a small problem with the location markers on the map. In Paris I entered notes with the wrong postal code: 750005 while it should have been 75005. Ofcourse, as soon as I discovered this I fixed the notes.

As a result of this there are two markers: One for 75005 and one for 750005. The last (and wrong) one is displayed on top of the first one. Therefore it's impossible to click the right marker to see the number of notes entered there.

Is it in one way possible to exclude markers with 0 notes from the map?

User avatar
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1417
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:33 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Google Maps Beta Test

Postby Nerzhul » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:33 pm

googlejaps wrote:I also encountered a small problem with the location markers on the map. In Paris I entered notes with the wrong postal code: 750005 while it should have been 75005. Ofcourse, as soon as I discovered this I fixed the notes.

As a result of this there are two markers: One for 75005 and one for 750005. The last (and wrong) one is displayed on top of the first one. Therefore it's impossible to click the right marker to see the number of notes entered there.

Is it in one way possible to exclude markers with 0 notes from the map?

Sounds like a bug in the EBT API. I'll fix it -um- right after I'm done feeding, cleaning, snuggling, doing house work, feeding, cleaning... ;-) Maybe some time tonight.

androl wrote:here a location is displayed at a wrong place in lower zoom steps, but correctly at higher steps. Is this a problem with the display of only one location for one city at lower zoom steps? I have not entered notes in any other location in the Gammertingen profile (the other locations are completely unused), so it should show the same place as the main Gammertingen..?

Currently the center of a location is derived from the average of all locations which are subsumed by this city profile. So if one entry is way off the average is screwed. I'll think about a better solution some time.
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter

User avatar
aloxe
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:22 pm
Location: Libeň
Contact:

Re: Google Maps Beta Test

Postby aloxe » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:58 pm

androl wrote:here a location is displayed at a wrong place in lower zoom steps, but correctly at higher steps. Is this a problem with the display of only one location for one city at lower zoom steps? I have not entered notes in any other location in the Gammertingen profile (the other locations are completely unused), so it should show the same place as the main Gammertingen..?


I have the same problem with Bruxelles (BE) and Cambrai (FR) with the same kind of north-east shift on wider scales.
ǝxoʃɐ • my other stats


Return to “Feedback and Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 3 guests