Google Maps

Concerns? Let us know by posting here.

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons, dserrano5

dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Google Maps Beta Test

Post by dserrano5 »

Works fine here. I find it odd that the grid covers the whole world (I would expect it to span only the well-known Europe area). Regarding the limiting in zoom level, I would take it a step further and don't display it in zoom levels less then 5</personal_opinion>.

Good job, I love this google maps stuff :)
Kleman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Kleman »

awesome !!!

thank you
Mes stats

Monde: 34
France :flag-fr: : 1
Local (Bordeaux): 1

Notes: 882 825
Hits: 1436
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

dserrano5 wrote:Works fine here. I find it odd that the grid covers the whole world (I would expect it to span only the well-known Europe area).
Hey, you can score dots all over the world!

There are some easy dots in the Carribean (french overseas territories), but with a little luck and persistence you can get Euros in many touristic hubs. The grid can also help you decide whether to strain your luck and look for Euros twice (e.g. at the airport and downtown) or just enjoy the trip. ;-)
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter
kettenseger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by kettenseger »

Nerzhul wrote:...
or just enjoy the trip. ;-)
yes, thats the most important when you are on vacation.

the dot maps are very nice, it is very easy to plan a dothunting-tour.

is it possible to bookmark the zoom-factor and the position or center the map on my red dot?

and how do you find the right size for the map?
do you use the screenresulotion or the viewport-size?
i ask that, because i have on the right a small white area, for the scollbar(?)
and on the bottom a bigger space, i think it is bigger than the right space, because i don't use so many toolbars.

Post by Guest »

Nerzhul wrote:Hey, you can score dots all over the world!
But I understand that the grid is different in Europe than in the rest of the world (bigger dots), and expected to see some kind of lines misalignment around the Europe grid limits. Looked for that and couldn't find them, and that's why I was (and still am) puzzled.
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

To quote myself:
Nerzhul wrote:In future the old world dot grid won't be supported, at least not by me. It was just a crutch to scale with the lower resolution of the EBT world map.
I don't see a reason why we shouldn't extend the grid beyond the current map of Europe. The old differences have been due to the tiny world map which is no longer an issue. We certainly don't need two dot scales or an arbitrary distinction on a single map, so I went with the higher resolution.
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

I have a suggestion:

What if a link is included next to the map of each user's personal page? I mean: a link to the Google Maps EBT map. (I know that the only thing you have to do is just add ;engine=gmb but it would be faster to get the link instead of write it on your browser. Wouldn't it?)

Well, it is jus a suggestion ;)
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by dserrano5 »

Thanks for the update, and for your great work ;)
Yelverdack
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Yelverdack »

Jes wrote:I have a suggestion:

What if a link is included next to the map of each user's personal page? I mean: a link to the Google Maps EBT map. (I know that the only thing you have to do is just add ;engine=gmb but it would be faster to get the link instead of write it on your browser. Wouldn't it?)

Well, it is jus a suggestion ;)
It would be good also if we could see the general user map and note map on Google.
"To be is to do". Socrates
"To do is to be". Jean-Paul Sartre
"To be do be do". Franck Sinatra

Loi de Bell : Tout corps plongé dans une baignoire entend alors le téléphone sonner.
Loi de Zenone : La file d'à côté avance toujours plus vite. Si tu changes de file, celle que tu viens de quitter deviendra alors la plus rapide.
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

If you are logged in there's now a new option to display your location data on the EBT dotmap.

It scales with the zoom level, i.e. on high zoom levels locations are aggregated on country level (levels 1-6), then city level (7-11) down to individual locations (12-18). This distribution is not final, e.g. I plan to add the concept of regions to EBT some time this year which'd fit the zoom levels 5-6 nicely.

Please note that cities are plotted by the average of all subsumed coordinates. So if a marker is way off there's probably an error in our location data. Simply give us a hint and be patient ;-)

Also note that locations are only displayed if there are coordinates assigned for this specific combination of city/postal code/country. Feel free to suggest coordinates if you find something missing.

Sorry, but currently there's no better way, but I'm working on a better coordinate database system.

Moreover, dotmaps are no longer in beta test and are now linked from the old EBT dotmaps (both Europe and World).

For your convenience when viewing someone else's map you can now also choose to display your own data. Of course this also only applies to users who are logged in at EBT. Unfortunately there's currently a distinction between sessions on ebt.com and ebt.eu. I'll have a look at this. For now you can simply either log in at both domains or alter the link you're opening if you want to use the personal features.
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

This is quite impressive!!! Congrats and thanks!
R/J
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by R/J »

One idea though: you could make the name of the location a clickable link to the location profile.

Also: the breakdown to individual locations (city + postcode) breaks down if there are several postcodes with the same coordinates. I have no suggestion for improvement though.
My NIG stats have finally disappeared. My EBTST stats are still available.
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

ImageD E L I G H T F U LImage
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
Sleijeri
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Sleijeri »

Nice update, and i really like that grid possibility, much easier to look that where i have to travel than just try to look from a small map of southern finland. Thanks alot!
You are dealing with someone here who has absolutely no life.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My EBTST stats
lazza
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lazza »

this is soooo good! so much so, I even felt the need to log on to offer my thanks :) (I rarely get onto the forum these days due to real life - family, work, etc. - getting in the way!)

I'm not sure what is meant by the world map not being used any more. It still comes up when I view my notes, and my recent trip to Chicago and San Francisco has got me another two dots which have definitely appeared on the map... But then I did notice that the Google version gives me several more dots now around the world :)

Return to “Feedback and Development”