EBT over IPv6

Concerns? Let us know by posting here.

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons, dserrano5

klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: EBT over IPv6

Post by klapotec »

Crazy Bob wrote:Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 Internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites.

0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

So it doesn't look too good, I guess...
that's not unusual now - not that many providers already offer IPv6 yet; mine doesn't either, but they say they're working on it and will have it implemented some time in 2012, and I guess that goes for most (especially the larger) providers
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: EBT over IPv6

Post by avij »

Crazy Bob wrote:So it doesn't look too good, I guess...
As klapotec mentioned, this is not unusual. You're among the 99% - 99.5% of EBT users who don't have IPv6 connectivity.

To actually get IPv6 connectivity, your ISP would need to support IPv6. Of the Dutch ISPs, XS4ALL's addresses show up in our IPv6 logs. Free.fr is another prominent ISP supporting IPv6, but it's in the wrong country for you. Most other IPv6 access comes from academic institutions like universities. For reference, there is only one (1) ISP that offers IPv6 for consumers here in Finland, and unfortunately it's not my ISP :-/ So I'm stuck with using a 6to4 tunnel for my IPv6 needs. Tunneling is mostly deprecated nowadays, people should be getting native IPv6 already.

If your ISP supports IPv6, the next obstacle might be your ADSL router/modem. If it's only bridging data and not trying to be a firewall, it might not need any configuration changes or replacing with a newer model. But most home routers run in NAT mode, ie. they use one public IPv4 address and give a private 192.168.x.x address to the computers on the local network. This configuration is incompatible with IPv6. The optimal configuration would be that the ISP assigns a block of IPv6 addresses for you and the router takes care of routing those IPv6 addresses within your local network, possibly with some firewall functionality thrown in.

Additionally, if you have a wireless network at home, its router has approximately the same requirements as the ADSL router above.

Finally, your computer should support IPv6. The hardware doesn't really care (that much) about the protocol, but the operating system does. While it's possible to get IPv6 support for older operating systems, IPv6 support works the best in the newest operating systems (Win Vista/7, Mac OS X 10.6+, most modern Linux operating systems).

All that said, I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to use IPv6 at this moment. Given enough time, the ISPs will start supporting IPv6. There's also some sort of a "natural decay" for computers and routers, ie. when the old stuff breaks and can't be repaired, those will get replaced with newer ones which might support IPv6 out of the box. This process might take a few years, though..

EBT will continue to have an IPv4 address for several years (for the next decade or so, although predicting the future is difficult), so there isn't really a rush to get IPv6.

Oh by the way, the forum is now IPv6-enabled, thus completing our IPv6 transition period.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.

Return to “Feedback and Development”