Calculation of hit ratio

Concerns? Let us know by posting here.

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons, dserrano5

androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Calculation of hit ratio

Post by androl »

Hello,
I think this is something that should be changed:

the hit ratio of a country, a city or a user is currently calculated by the number of individual hit notes that have been entered in or by the subject, divided by their total number of entered notes.
This means that a hit between Germany and Finland will increase the hit ratios both of Germany and of Finland, while a hit within Finland will just increase Finland's hit ratio by one note, where both users will have their hit ratios increased by one note each. That's why Finland's hit ratio is higher (less hits per 100,000 notes) than any one of its provinces's hit ratio.

Much better in my opinion would be to divide the number of note entries that belong to hit notes by the total number of note entries.
This will not influence the hit ratios of users, but most cities and countries will have lower (better) ratios, that will correspond correctly with the hit ratios of their subdivisions and the hit ratios of all users.

You could then also calculate hit ratios of time intervals.
For example, for my hit ratio in 2012, I need the number of notes I entered in 2012 that are hits. My hit list tells me I had 31 hits in 2012, but I entered 7 of them before 2012. No notes from 2012 have been found later, so there are 24 hit entries from 2012. So my hit ratio of 2012 is currently 24:6119 = 1:255

What do you think?
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
jonman
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Re: Calculation of hit ratio

Post by jonman »

sorry, i’m not sure if i fully understand you, so maybe i can give you an example and you can tell me if i got it right

a: city a
b: city b
n1: note 1

existing note entries:
n1, a
n2, a (*)
n3, b
n4, a (*)
n4, a (*)
n5, b
n2, b (*)

so this is, how the city profiles would look like today:

city a, 4 notes entered, 2 hits, hit ratio 1:2 (2 [hits] : 4 [note entries])
city b, 3 notes entered, 1 hit, hit ratio 1:3 (1:3)
region a+b, 7 notes entered, 2 hits, hit ratio 1:3,5 (2:7)

now, you would like to have it this way?

city a, hit ratio 1:1.33 (3 [hit entries] : 4 [note entries])
city b, hit ratio 1:3 (1:3)
region a+b, hit ratio 1:1.75 (4:7)

is this correct? so you basically want to count each hit twice (not only the ones that occur between different regions/cities)?
My profile
22.9.14 90. :note-200: entered
9.9.14 50. :note-500: entered
17.8.14 300. hit occured
12.8.14 550. :note-100: entered
28.7.14 5000. :note-10: entered
16.11.13 3 years of EBT
10.9.13 25000. note entered
30.7.13 15000. :note-5: entered
23.7.13 2500. :note-20: entered
7.2.13 1000. :note-50: entered
Dioniz
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Dioniz »

I think we shouldn't mix hit ratios of territories (countries, regions, ...) with those of individuals. Hit ratio of any territory is in reality not lower but higher (worse) than it is shown now. It's easy to calculate it: all note entries of specific country (as shown now) - number of domestic hits of that specific country = real number of (different) notes entered in this country. Now: real number of (different) notes entered in this country divided by all active hits (both domestic and international) of that specific country = hit ratio of that country (territory). And similar calculations can be done for every region or subdivision.

For individual accounts we can't do much better than divide all note entries of somebody by all hits (active and passive) that individual has. That means that every hit note has been taken into calculation twice: once for each user. That's why individual accounts will always have lower (better) hit ratios than territories those individuals are involved in. But of course it's possible to do some more accurate calculations like individual hit ratio for specific year and so on.
My profile & EBTST & Hit-dots map
Hits: 616x :flag-si:, 277x :flag-at:, 52x :flag-de:, 24x :flag-it:, 10x :flag-nl:, 7x :flag-be:, 5x :flag-fi:, 5x :flag-sk:, 3x :flag-fr:, 1x :flag-ee:, 1x :flag-gr:, 1x :flag-hr:, 1x :flag-lt:, 1x :flag-pt:, 1x :flag-es:, 1x ME, 1x :flag-at: :flag-at:, 1x :flag-be: :flag-be:, 1x :flag-be: :flag-at:, 1x :flag-fr: :flag-de:
Flightdiary & Where's George?
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl »

jonman wrote:is this correct? so you basically want to count each hit twice (not only the ones that occur between different regions/cities)?
yes, this is all correct. A domestic hit is for one country the same as an international hit is for both countries together. So domestic hits must be counted twice for the country.
Dioniz wrote:I think we shouldn't mix hit ratios of territories (countries, regions, ...) with those of individuals.
If a user has 2000 notes and 20 hits in a town as the only user, the user profile and the city profile both show hit ratio 1:100, then there's no difference.
If two users live in the town with 1000 notes each, and both have 10 hits with each other, then the hit ratio of both users is 1:100, but the hit ratio of the town 1:199

or think about this:
4 cities, A and B in District X, C and D in District Y, each city has 1000 notes.

1 hit A->A
1 hit B->B
1 hit C->D
1 hit D->C

both districts have 2 hits and 1998 notes, hit ratio 1:999
A and B have hit ratio 1:999
C and D have hit ratio 1:500
does this make sense?

with my new calculation, all cities and districts would have hit ratio 1:500
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

I fully agree with androl. I had thought of this for long but never expressed it.

Hit ratio of any place (city / region) should be its hit-rate, that is, it should *mean* more or less the probability of having one hit when registering one note on that particular place — the same way the hit ratio of someone should mean more or less the probability of that person having a hit after registering that amount of notes (then, if I multiply my hit ratio by two, I should have my hit-rate, that is, the approximate probability of having a hit when registering a note).

Return to “Feedback and Development”