Malta&Cyprus welcome,Slovakia and Estonia too,now Latvia

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl »

Dakkus wrote:Practically all nouns in Finland end with a vowel.
with "olut" being the exception :P

I have a very stupid question:
Which Cyprus will introduce the euro?

Wikipedia tells me that the whole Cyprus is a member of the EU, and that the existance of a Turkish part of Cyprus is only accepted by Turkey, but Wikipedia also tells me that the Northern part of Cyprus uses the Turkish lira as currency.
But then, I think I remember that the Cypriot pound is called "lira" in Turkish, which is also written on the notes, and why should they print their notes in Greek and Turkish if the Northern Cypriots don't use them?

and http://www.euro-anwaerter.de/zypern/eur ... ehrung.htm telly me that Cyprus wants to mint 395 million euro coins, which is very much for 800.000 Cypriots, and it would be even more for only 500.000 Greek Cypriots
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

androl wrote:
Dakkus wrote:Practically all nouns in Finland end with a vowel.
with "olut" being the exception :P
Other words that come to my mind are sammal (bryophyte, german: moos) and lammas (sheep). Notice anything similar in the two words?
But then again, listing things I can see without standing up from the chair: tietokone, pöytä, keittiö, ikkuna, lavuaari, uuni, sula margariini, leipä, kovettuva juusto, paperikassi, tuoli, servietti, lattia, katto, seinä, ovi, lamppu, jääkaappi, pakastin, vedenkeitin, ovenkahva, lukko, sarana, sukka, farkut, collegepaita, kynsi, iho.
Vedenkeitin means water boiler and pakastin means freezer. Farkut (jeans) is a word that only exists in plural.

But could one claim that we've gone a bit off-topic? :D
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl »

Dakkus wrote:jääkaappi
I know that word :lol:
Dakkus wrote:But could one claim that we've gone a bit off-topic? :D
yes, now we move on to my real question above :!: which Cyprus will introduce the euro?
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
yli
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by yli »

Only the republic of Cyprus will have the euro after 2008, despite the fact that the EU thinks the whole island is part of the EU. But the northern part (TRNC - Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus) will continue to use the Turkish Lira.
The TRNC is only recognized by Turkey.
Also some parts of Cyprus are part of the United Kingdom, and probably will have the pound sterling.

The situation is simulair to Moldova, only is Transdnistria not recognized by an other country.
Jelle zonder internet. Het was een leuke hobby, maar niet mijn hobby. Een leven zonder internet is mijn ding. Een leven van geld uitgeven in plaats van tracken zeg maar.... hahaha. Ja, er mag gelachen worden.
Inloggen op site lukt niet meer, maakt niet uit. Ik snap toch niets van nieuwe biljetten :lol:
starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: 1 & 2 cent Finland

Post by starcapitan »

tabbs wrote:
starcapitan wrote:I knew that they were no longer made just a few months after 1 gen 02
Huh? These are the summarized mintages of the Finnish 1 cent and 2 cent coins, not including the pieces that were made for collector sets. Not that many (as a comparison I added the volumes for Italy), but they are indeed still made ...

1 cent, dated 1999-2002: 16 million (IT: 1349 million)
1 cent, dated 2003-2006: 26 million (IT: 448 million)

2 cent, dated 1999-2002: 16 million (IT: 1099 million)
2 cent, dated 2003-2006: 24 million (IT: 458 million)

Hope I added the numbers correctly. :)

Christian
Firstable "ciao" , nice to have u here after the " 2€ " one.
According to what u said , knowing what Dakkus said after,there are :flag-fi: 1&2c IN CIRCULATION OUTSIDE :flag-fi: . I don't know whom the Bank of :flag-fi: give the coins to as they are not used in their own country :?: :?: :?: :!:
andrea
:flag-es: :flag-it: :flag-nl: :flag-de: :flag-fi:
Last edited by starcapitan on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
YOUTUBE channel, tracker with 25 hits also internationals and searching for the first triple ;0)
Web Designer della web agency WEDESA :flag-it:
girls legs SUPERFAN
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

For what I know, the coins were originally minted because the EU regulations say that each euroland member state must mint all coin denominations. Then they just noticed that collectors really like having them and thought something like: "whatever, let's make more of them"

BTW, In July 2005 (so, over two years ago) I asked the bank of Finland what happens to all the 1c and 2c coins spent in Finland. I asked whether the coins are sent to some other Euro country for circulation or if they are stored in a huge piggy bank. Here's the answer translated:
Bank of Finland wrote: Hi Tuukka,

You are correct with that a shop doesn't give 1c and 2c coins as a change back to its customers. The shop returns the cents through the banks to Bank of Finland. A bit of one and two cent coins have been accumulated in our storages. We have not decided yet what to do with them, because their amount is still quite low. It is possible that some day we will sell them to some other Euro country, which means they will be again in circulation.

Best regards,
Blah Bloop Blopp
Regional Director
Payment Instument Division
Bank of Finland

This mail has been checked for viruses
So, somewhere in the vaults of BoF there really is a jar of copper coins :)
claudio vda
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by claudio vda »

yli wrote:Only the republic of Cyprus will have the euro after 2008, despite the fact that the EU thinks the whole island is part of the EU.
Yes, and the more sad is that the people who live in Cyprus North were about enthusiast to enter in Europe and they cannot. I don't remember the exact percentages of the yes at the referendum in the northen part of the island, but it was abuot 60-70%. In Cyprus South they were "coulder" at the idea of entering in Europe. The final result is that South will enter and Norh not... and I think that is not very good

claudio vda
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Will be interesting to see how the "coexistence" of euro coins and Turkish lira pieces works in Cyprus. The 50 kurus coin is almost a €1 lookalike, and the 1 lira coin looks like a €2 piece - same bimetallic look, pretty much the same diameters. Except that 1 lira is about 60 cent ...

Modern vending machines can tell the EUR and TRY coins apart. But what about humans in a hurry, or in a bar at night? :wink:

Christian
starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

lira looks like 2 € & "future"coins

Post by starcapitan »

there have been sure problems about the Turkish 1 lira that LOOK LIKE a 2 € with machines..interesting your argues about the real "co-existence"of the 2 in the same island :idea:

I have seen how the new :flag-eu: countries € will look like (click on the countries'names to see them):

Slovakia
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania

interesting that they exist :lol: but the first 2 are planning to join € soon .
Strange but I like the 8 equal of Lithuania ( we miss in :flag-eu: another " marco aurelio " :flag-it: 50c but with sword & shield) and Latvia : interesting the lion & flying lion motive and the star that becomes part of the picture :arrow: 2 €
what do u think about them ? will we have another "mountain" after the 50c :flag-si: in 09 :?:

which ONE is the next to join € after Malta & Cyprus :?:
ciao,andrea

Last edited by starcapitan on Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 13 times in total.
YOUTUBE channel, tracker with 25 hits also internationals and searching for the first triple ;0)
girls legs SUPERFAN
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: lira looks like 2 € & "future"coins

Post by tabbs »

starcapitan wrote:which ONE is the next to join after Malta & Cyprus :?:
Ask something easier please. :wink: Of the four member states you listed, the three Baltic countries are unlikely to join any time soon. In 2011 or 2012 maybe, but certainly not in '09. Now Slovakia may introduce the euro in 2009, but at this stage it is a little to early to tell ...

As far as Estonian euro coins are concerned, well, the later they come, the better - from a collector's point of view. The map design looks fine, but the same one on all eight denominations, that is quite boring. Lithuania is a little better, but not much. Latvia and Slovakia, those I like.

Christian
starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

numb3rs & advertising

Post by starcapitan »

I have seen http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/profile/? ... try=Cyprus that the Cyprus users are 12 - only 2 active but 1 registered on the 27/10/07 and has 0 notes as other 5 - but they got 0 hits : the 2 of their country are made by foreign users :!:
I have seen http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/profile/? ... ntry=Malta that the Malta users are 13 - only 2 active but 1 registered on the 18/10/07 and has 0 notes as other 3 - but of the 2 hits made in their country just 1 - a "COUNTRY"hit :!: - is made by Maltese users .
I wonder when the numbers of the 2 countries will increase :?:
GOOD LUCK Maltese & Cypriot users :D

Does anyone know how to adverise EBT in Malta & Cyprus :?: a newspaper e-mail address . . something else ( just tell me the names of Malta & Cyprus newspapers or else , I will search the e-mail addresses )
I hope that EBT will come with the € circulation and all the users will become active :!:

ciao , andrea
Last edited by starcapitan on Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
girls legs SUPERFAN
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Slovakia 09

Post by starcapitan »

I have heard on http://www.lamoneta.it that is official that Slovakia will join € in 09,just bureaucratic formalities of the final authorization of ECB is missing and that , as 4 Malta & Cyprus this year, will be granted in the summer of 09 . The change should be set : 1 EUR=35,4424 SKK since 19 march 07 (I have seen at http://www.nbs.sk/INDEXA.HTM ) . Do u have the same information :?: ECB official site doesn't say anything about it ( or I couldn't find the information I need ).

ciao,andrea
girls legs SUPERFAN
WinstonSmith
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by WinstonSmith »

Countries joining in January are officially nominated on the previous July. It is sheer speculation, for now, to say who will join in 2009; especially because the Slovak inflation forecasts are sooo high, and Slovenia, which managed to drop its inflation before joining the euro, is performing poorly in this area too, and would not make it again if it were to join the euro today.
(Pretty much what happens with half of the other euro-countries, so it's not a subtle form of criticism. :D)
scb
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by scb »

claudio vda wrote:
yli wrote:Only the republic of Cyprus will have the euro after 2008, despite the fact that the EU thinks the whole island is part of the EU.
Yes, and the more sad is that the people who live in Cyprus North were about enthusiast to enter in Europe and they cannot. I don't remember the exact percentages of the yes at the referendum in the northen part of the island, but it was abuot 60-70%. In Cyprus South they were "coulder" at the idea of entering in Europe. The final result is that South will enter and Norh not... and I think that is not very good

claudio vda
The situation as seen from the EU is that there is one country called the Republic of Cyprus that is a member state and is converting their currency (the Cyprus Pound) to the Euro in 2008. Part of this country is occupied by a third country. The occupied territory uses the currency of the occuping force.

The Republic of Cyprus has three official languages and thus prints (or better used to print) all three on its currency. These are: English, Greek and Turkish.

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”