Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

SeanW
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Where to get notes in the U.S?

Post by SeanW »

Hi everyone;

I may be traveling to the United States, specifically the New York and Southern Connecticut areas, and I'm looking for the best places there to get Euros, in particular €5 notes?

Thanks in advance;
- Sean
lazza
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Where to get notes in the U.S?

Post by lazza »

It's tough! Airports are a good bet - I have usually found them willing to change a large note for smaller, and have also used a €100 to buy $50 and get the change in small €. I also found an exchange booth in downtown Manhattan not far from Ground Zero, and exchanged my

But other than that, I have found it difficult. I have not found any banks that will sell Euros to general public without an account, and they don't seem to hold any foreign currency anyway so would need pre-ordering. And of course, shops and hotels don't take Euros even in tourist areas (well, certainly not that I have found) - the dollar is king!

One thing to note: in New York, the three main airports - Newark, JFK, La Guardia - are all in different dots! If your flights take you in through one and out through another, be sure to pick up notes at each. I think Newark is also the same dot as lower Manhattan... :roll:
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

I didn't have any problems getting Euros in the US and Canada. Just go to a money changer and ask if they'll change USD to EUR. I wouldn't count on shops and hotels though.
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter
JHN-TX
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by JHN-TX »

Try and find one of mine while you are out there.
I don`t want your money, I just want your serial number

lyric. The face that I see in my mirror more and more is a stranger to me.
Some Days are Diamonds - John Denver
Klazu
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Klazu »

Nerzhul wrote:I didn't have any problems getting Euros in the US and Canada. Just go to a money changer and ask if they'll change USD to EUR. I wouldn't count on shops and hotels though.
What lazza was suggesting with the airports is valid and I have done it successfully in some countries, but nowadays I prefer this methos. When I enter the country, I exchange too much local currency, which I then exchange back into Euros here and there. Works perfectly fine at all Money Exchange offices as well as at the bigger bank offices. Good luck trying to find some of my notes at JFK... :wink:
Living away from Euro zone in the beautiful Vancouver, Canada since January 2012. Experiences and stories of living in here can be found in here (in Finnish).
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

As a small (and slightly offtopic) addendum, exchanging local currency to EUR will only work in a few countries (US, CAN, AUS, UK, PL) or at major international airports (e.g. Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi).

In a lot of countries banks and money changers will outright refuse to give you Euros even if they have them. In that case simply show them a 50 EUR note, ask them to change 30 or 40 EUR to the local currency and give you 20 or 10 EUR back. Works like a charm, especially in Asian countries.

Of course you may have to try various money changing booths until you find one which actually has a Euro note, but that shouldn't be a problem in touristy locations (like Siem Reap).
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Montgomery Burns »

Nerzhul wrote:In a lot of countries banks and money changers will outright refuse to give you Euros even if they have them. In that case simply show them a 50 EUR note, ask them to change 30 or 40 EUR to the local currency and give you 20 or 10 EUR back. Works like a charm, especially in Asian countries.
You're actually willing to pay a 10 or 20 Euro "tip" to someone in the name of this hobby? Now that's commitment, ladies and gentlemen. :lol:
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

Montgomery Burns wrote:You're actually willing to pay a 10 or 20 Euro "tip" to someone in the name of this hobby? Now that's commitment, ladies and gentlemen. :lol:
Hmmm.
ask them to change 30 or 40 EUR to the local currency and give you 20 or 10 EUR back
40+10=30+20=50, so no tip included. Actually you get paid with a 10 or 20 EUR note by the locals for the priviledge to exchange 30 or 40 EUR ;-)
bob9
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by bob9 »

In California, and I assume other states bordering to Mexico and Canada there are currency exchanges in every other city. You can even go dothunting if you like. Travelex offices are the best because they don't charge any commission on larger (~$500 transactions) and they let you change back for the same rate within 30 days as long as you show a receipt. When you are at an exchange office to exchange EUR to USD, don't forget to ask them to brake some euros for you as well so you get some notes to enter.
Cash is king. | My EBT profile
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Montgomery Burns »

Nerzhul wrote:40+10=30+20=50, so no tip included. Actually you get paid with a 10 or 20 EUR note by the locals for the priviledge to exchange 30 or 40 EUR ;-)
Oops, misread that. I've always been terrible at math. :lol:
lazza
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lazza »

Well, it looks like you were successful :)

http://en.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=98465846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://en.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=98460909" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2 hits... not a bad rate!

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”