Entering several bills at a time

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro »

You added great new details!
avij wrote:[*] the excellent offline list code has been stolen from micro :) (with minor tweaks)
Not stolen! I like the distributed development we're doing here from several different corners of the continent. Cool new virtual world.
avij wrote:[*] the denomination fields are now coloured according to the colour of the actual bill
Cool feature but I wouldn't mention that in the text on the page. In my browser all denom boxes turn colored except the one I was clicking which turns white. Maybe we should also have a reset button for the complicated form (that's an easy task). BTW I think the repeating of the 20 form rows can be done using the document.write() function to be more flexible. Maybe I'll try to change the code a bit tomorrow.
avij wrote:Congratulations, the first page you posted managed to BSOD my NT4+MSIE6 machine at home :cry: Repeatedly
I don't know what BSOD is, but it sounds quite horrible. I feel completely innocent though. I thought I just changed the layout in the 2nd version. :?
BTW the crashing of the NS4.7 browser might be due to the TBODY tags.
avij wrote:
micro wrote:After clicking the button twice the shortcode boxes get empty, I don't know why.
I have changed some of the code while doing the other modifications, see if your browser screws up this time.
It's ok now at first glance, but the bug appears again if I insert the first bill manually and then paste&transfer structured data. :?
emmem wrote:I was planing to adapt the massinsert code to insert some small pictures behind every field. But other matters grabbed my attention.
Sounds cool, but on the other hand, the page should be kept as robust as possible. People surf using a lot of different browsers and if you code fancy things like that the results may be unpredictable (or embarrassing). I think the color coded denomination boxes are already rather playful than useful.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

micro wrote:Cool feature but I wouldn't mention that in the text on the page. In my browser all denom boxes turn colored except the one I was clicking which turns white.
It was mentioned there because if someone entered a 10E bill it'd turn reddish and some people might think the entry was somehow invalid.. I've removed that message now, though. The white is intentional, I wanted the pulldown list to be white instead of the colour that happened to be selected at the time. It looks somewhat different on MSIE and NS.
micro wrote:BTW I think the repeating of the 20 form rows can be done using the document.write() function to be more flexible.
Nononono, let's keep the form usable (at least the basic function) for people who do not have JavaScript, ok? The way it is now, it works fine even with text mode browsers such as lynx and it'd most probably work fine with my Palm's web browser as well. Don't worry about it, as soon as it's integrated into EBT, those 20 rows will be generated automatically with PHP.
micro wrote:I don't know what BSOD is, but it sounds quite horrible.
Really? Blue Screen Of Death, as depicted in http://www.errorwear.com/shirts-microsoft.html (I've got the Win98 and WinNT shirts of those :lol: )
micro wrote:It's ok now at first glance, but the bug appears again if I insert the first bill manually and then paste&transfer structured data. :?
I'm still unable to reproduce the problem, sorry.
EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by EuroBillTracker »

micro wrote:I like the distributed development we're doing here from several different corners of the continent. Cool new virtual world.
Yeah...
Ok, now that I have another website I can finally put up a collaboration tool I wanted for so long ! Check out http://www.girolami.org/phpcollab
Humm... won't see much until I create logins for everyone... see http://www.phpcollab.com for a demo site.

I'll put up the to do list there and we can have technical discussions in there. We can also assign jobs there... it's really cool.

So, please send me a PM using the forum with your desired user name and password so I can create your account there and we can make this happen :)
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro »

avij wrote:It was mentioned there because if someone entered a 10E bill it'd turn reddish and some people might think the entry was somehow invalid.. I've removed that message now, though. The white is intentional, I wanted the pulldown list to be white instead of the colour that happened to be selected at the time....
micro wrote:BTW I think the repeating of the 20 form rows can be done using the document.write() function to be more flexible.
Nononono, let's keep the form usable (at least the basic function) for people who do not have JavaScript, ok?
I see you went deeper into the subject than I did. I think you're right in all these things :)
avij wrote:Blue Screen Of Death, as depicted in http://www.errorwear.com/shirts-microsoft.html (I've got the Win98 and WinNT shirts of those :lol: )
The BSOD is of course familiar to me! And these shirts are definitely cool, maybe I'll order one of them. I've always had the desire to make screenshots of those bluescreens but unfortunately that's not possible :cry:. BTW the German version of the bluescreen is even funnier (or sucks more, depending on how much data you lost), because it is translated in a somewhat stilted, affected way.
avij wrote:
micro wrote:It's ok now at first glance, but the bug appears again if I insert the first bill manually and then paste&transfer structured data. :?
I'm still unable to reproduce the problem, sorry.
It's probably not that important if the bug is actually in NS6.
EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

avij wrote:
Nononono, let's keep the form usable (at least the basic function) for people who do not have JavaScript, ok? The way it is now, it works fine even with text mode browsers such as lynx and it'd most probably work fine with my Palm's web browser as well. Don't worry about it, as soon as it's integrated into EBT, those 20 rows will be generated automatically with PHP.
Pfiuu... missed that first quote.
Avij, you are absolutly right : everything is generated nicely using a sort of template in PHP... so don't start doing cute things with Javascript !
EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Re: Entering several bills at a time

avij wrote: I have made some of the corrections people have suggested, please have a look at http://miuku.net/misc/massinsert3.html and tell me what you think.
Okay, I've done part one of what's needed for this to work : I have refactored the PHP code so that entering a bill in the database is a function.
So now, I just have to do part 2 : extract all the relevant info from the form and call the functions time after time.

So... can you make a little change to your code so I can use it "as is" : make sure everyline in the form which repeats (denom,year,shortcode,serial,comment) has a different element name ie
  • my_denomination0 my_year0 my_shortcode0 my_serial0 my_comment0
    my_denomination1 my_year1 my_shortcode1 my_serial1 my_comment1
that way I can use variable variables and not make my life miserable

Is it possible ?
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

EuroBillTracker wrote:make sure everyline in the form which repeats (denom,year,shortcode,serial,comment) has a different element name ie
  • my_denomination0 my_year0 my_shortcode0 my_serial0 my_comment0
    my_denomination1 my_year1 my_shortcode1 my_serial1 my_comment1
that way I can use variable variables and not make my life miserable

Is it possible ?
Sure. I just need to change the way the elements on the form are referenced: instead of using document.notes.my_denomination[row].options I'll have to use document.notes.elements[startIndex+elementsPerRow*row].options.. I have most of the code done now, but it seems like I introduced some new bugs while doing the modifications, and I'll need to take care of them.. Perhaps this evening.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Alright, have a look at http://miuku.net/misc/massinsert4.html

It's basically the same as before, but I've changed the field names as requested.
EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

avij wrote:Alright, have a look at http://miuku.net/misc/massinsert4.html

It's basically the same as before, but I've changed the field names as requested.
The new functionality is now online. Let me know if it works or if it's buggy : webmaster@eurobilltracker.com
pinguino79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by pinguino79 »

EuroBillTracker wrote:The new functionality is now online. Let me know if it works or if it's buggy : webmaster@eurobilltracker.com
Thank you... I have another load of bills... now ready to test it. :D
4 gmail invites available. Send a PM providing your e-mail address.
EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

pinguino79 wrote:
EuroBillTracker wrote:The new functionality is now online. Let me know if it works or if it's buggy : webmaster@eurobilltracker.com
Thank you... I have another load of bills... now ready to test it. :D
Looks like it's working :) I have someone from Nurmijärvi who just entered a big bunch.
You added quite a bunch too... What are your thoughts ?

Wow :)) This is great and really innovative with the colors, the checks and the transfer form. Great work avij !!

PS: let's move this discussion to a new topic shall we ? Like : look at the great new feature... I'm not sure everyone will want to sift through 5 pages of pre-comments

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”