"Europa": 2nd series of euro banknotes

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: "Europa": 2nd series of euro banknotes

Post by Craft »

tabbs wrote: Besides, I don't think it is the job of the ECB, or any central bank, to show cash around. The looks of the updated €5 notes can be seen and compared to the current/old one, online and in many printed brochures. When the USA or Denmark - to pick just two recent examples - updated their bank notes, the Fed or Nationalbanken did not send samples to all local banks either ...
I think it's up to ECB to decide what they do and what they don't regarding ways of informing people. They arranged a travelling exhibition anyway, so it's possible they could have done something else in addition to or instead of that. I don't think there is any rule saying "central banks do not send samples for banks or public audience to see". When euro cash was about to be introduced at the beginning of 2002, they even arranged starter kits of coins for people to buy from kiosks etc. towards the end of 2001. I guess arranging sample fivers this time to various places for showing would in no way have been an impossible task. They just didn't happen to arrange that, it's as simple as that. :)
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Craft wrote:They just didn't happen to arrange that, it's as simple as that. :)
Correct. Introducing a completely new range of coins and notes is a little different from updating one paper denomination, I think. The ECB, or rather any national central bank, could have done it or could do it. But since, as I wrote, other central banks (outside the euro area) usually don't do that either, why should the euro cash be such an exception? And as you mentioned yourself, the traveling exhibition is about more than this modified €5 note. :)

What would be much more helpful, in my opinion: More posters and brochures about the redesigned note at commercial bank branches, maybe even shopping malls, and so on. Even our local Bundesbank branch office has hardly any information about it. Odd since the Bundesbank does have some info material ...

Christian
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

Earlier I said:
Craft wrote:It would have been cool to see the real note before it is released to circulation.
So it would have been nice to see the real note in advance, and it could have been arranged, but it wasn't. I don't really see the point in listing reasons such as that's not customary (by other central banks) to do so etc. Such references of course exist, but it doesn't mean that acting differently were a no-no option. The reason for not arranging it might more likely be that such presentations would actually attract visitors so marginally that it's not worth the while. Most people couldn't care less how the notes and coins look like. Most can't mention any significant design details by heart, many aren't even sure of the colours, especially of the more rare denominations but also of the more common ones. Why would such people go to see the new versions of notes in advance, when most of them may even be unaware that the new versions are about to come.

For clarification: I'm interested in paper money numismatics and therefore always eager and sometimes impatient to see and get hold of banknotes, new ones included. For instance, I've been waiting "for ages" to get the new US $100 bill, but they just don't seem to succeed in correcting the print quality nonconformances which have prevented its release to circulation for several years now.

Today I saw an article (here, but alas only in Finnish) which said that Swedish and Danish banknotes are the dirtiest ones in Europe regarding bacteria and such. Euro notes were mentioned to be cleaner than the S & D ones, in fact euros were the cleanest ones. I was thinking whether this has something to do with the notes' finishing coating layer(s). The new euro fivers will have a better coating to make them more durable. I'd expect that a more durable coating were likely to be even more resistant to dirt in general and therefore to bacteria, too. Just guessing... :?
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Craft wrote:I don't really see the point in listing reasons such as that's not customary (by other central banks) to do so etc.
Well, I do - guess this won't surprise you. ;) Before the euro cash was introduced in the first countries, I did go to an info booth in town, and was allowed to see and closely "inspect" real € notes, quite a while before they became legal tender. Similarly, I got coin starter kits when they first came out (was in Rome then) ... but that was because I was curious, maybe even enthusiastic, about that new cash we were going to have.

But now? This is not even a totally redesigned series but an "update". No reason to go so far beyond what other central banks do. Ah well, let's talk about dirt and "bacteria bombs" instead. :mrgreen: Yes, I read about that too; here are two more articles:

(English) http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/28/business/dirty-money" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Danish) http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Indland/2013/0 ... 063755.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whether the laquer layer will have any effect on how "clean" the new notes are ... I don't know. So far I have only read about the longer "life" of such a note, but maybe that was another aspect.

Christian
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Craft wrote:For instance, I've been waiting "for ages" to get the new US $100 bill, but they just don't seem to succeed in correcting the print quality nonconformances which have prevented its release to circulation for several years now.
Side note: It's coming. 8) The Fed announced a few days ago that "the redesigned $100 note will begin circulating on October 8, 2013".

Christian
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

Yes, I know :D (I have subscribed their newsletter).

But I'll get the new :note-5: € first. 8)
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

Just a stupid question that may have been answered already : is the eurobilltracker-website ready for the new :note-5: ?
mizar
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by mizar »

Yes. I think we have even received an EBT newsletter about it.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Phaseolus wrote:Just a stupid question that may have been answered already : is the eurobilltracker-website ready for the new :note-5: ?
Some related changes have already been pushed to EBT, but I'll need to check a few things before I can flip the switch that actually allows people to enter the new fivers. I'll let you know when everything is supposed to be Europa-ready. This will happen in the next few hours.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
Replacement
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Replacement »

avij wrote:Some related changes have already been pushed to EBT, but I'll need to check a few things before I can flip the switch that actually allows people to enter the new fivers. I'll let you know when everything is supposed to be Europa-ready. This will happen in the next few hours.
Good luck with that! :D
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

OK, I have now made all the changes to allow entering the new Europa banknotes via http://www.eurobilltracker.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, m.eurobilltracker.com, wap.eurobilltracker.com and wap.eurobilltracker.com/light.php

I have also made the necessary changes to allow editing the entries via support functions. Mass editing will still need some work, I noticed a slight problem with it just a moment ago. This will be fixed today.

The JavaScript for input validation should now recognize the new serial numbers and printer codes. I've switched off the flags for the printer code (both first series and Europa banknotes) for now, this will be re-enabled a bit later when we get our first Europa banknotes to confirm some of the assumptions. The JavaScript code will need a bit more polishing to make the note entering process a bit smoother, and to take care of input validation even if filling the data on the form out of sequence.

The note report page (the one showing the information of a single note) has been updated to show the correct year, and a best guess for the note printer. We may need to adjust these later on, though.

The help images for locating the printer code will need to be updated at some point, but I think you'll be able to find the printer code by yourselves anyway ;)

Most of the statistics still show things "just like before", eg. all U printer codes are tabulated as coming from Portugal, even though for the Europa banknotes the U printer code (probably) means the note originates from France. This has been my plan from the beginning -- the first stage is to let people enter the new serial numbers, and once we've gathered a bit more information about the codes we can change how the statistics are displayed. Don't get your panties in a knot if the statistics look "odd". All that matters at this stage is that you see the proper serial number and the proper printer code in your own note listing.

There is a good chance that I've actually added some bugs while making the changes, so please let me know immediately if there's something odd that doesn't work as intended.

Now, who will be the first one to enter an Europa banknote? Public serial numbers don't count, you'll only make a fool out of yourself if you add such notes to EBT. Thanks for your consideration.
vermeer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by vermeer »

When entering banknotes there will be no flag given in front of the shortcode?
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

vermeer wrote:When entering banknotes there will be no flag given in front of the shortcode?
Yes, as I said above. This is a temporary change until we see some real examples of Europa banknotes.

When entering the printer code, EBT does not yet know if it's an old printer code or a new printer code. This will be known only after the serial number has been entered. So perhaps it makes sense to keep it as blank until the correct flag has been determined (at least for the fivers).
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl »

https://de.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=124708797" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it should be 2013, not 2012

I hope the ECB will disclose the meaning of the letters today, so you can write "was printed by <printer>" instead of "was printed at Spain for Spain".

http://www.new-euro-banknotes.eu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says there will be a launch event in 7h 43min (15:45 MEST)
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

androl wrote:https://de.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=124708797

I think it should be 2013, not 2012
Good point. Off by one errors are common among programmers..
androl wrote:I hope the ECB will disclose the meaning of the letters today, so you can write "was printed by <printer>" instead of "was printed at Spain for Spain".
Yes, I've been told by some Bank of Finland guys that we'll get more information about the Europa banknotes and their codes after the notes have been put into circulation. I don't know if that information will be available today, or "later".

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”