"Europa": 2nd series of euro banknotes

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

Mkay
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Re: "Europa": 2nd series of euro banknotes

Post by Mkay »

Source: http://www.ecb.int/euro/banknotes/europ ... ex.en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melitikus
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by melitikus »

this should be an important news for EBT users
the printer code will now be much bigger
Serial number seems different from the 1st series - the first 2 digits are letters (VA)

Bollivierke
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Bollivierke »

melitikus wrote:this should be an important news for EBT users
Serial number seems different from the 1st series - the first 2 digits are letters
I don't think the printercode is bigger, as you can see from this screenshot (from one of the videos about the new security features):
Attachments
5 euro.png
5 euro.png (618.08 KiB) Viewed 11680 times
melitikus
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by melitikus »

Bollivierke wrote:
melitikus wrote:this should be an important news for EBT users
Serial number seems different from the 1st series - the first 2 digits are letters
I don't think the printercode is bigger, as you can see from this screenshot (from one of the videos about the new security features):
thanks for the correction
so now I see that the last 6 digits of the serial code are repeated vertically
JordiJanTaxi
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by JordiJanTaxi »

Well, here we are.
What a disappointment! The bill is the same. Yes: more languages, Europa face and new emerald print. But same designs, same schemes.
And different serial number. But it doesn't change a thing. Letter A has been introduced, but VA does not mean anything, unless
something different will be released. Two letter-codes could be country codes: BE, DE or GE, NE or NL, IT, FR, EL or GR, etc. But if no further news are given, and if this scan is of a real note, it looks like spanish bills will keep their V, but an A has been added to make serial numbers different from the first series.
I have always imagined even "national" banknotes, where, for example, one quarter could have different representations of different countries, although 75% or more of the paper surface would be same for all of them.
Again, European "innovation" is not innovative, nor imaginative, but serious and boring (and silly?) as usual.
I was waiting for a grey 5, a red 10, and so on, same sizes, but radically different designs, not the same again.
Disappointing, really disappointing.
Mkay
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by Mkay »

JordiJanTaxi wrote: I have always imagined even "national" banknotes, where, for example, one quarter could have different representations of different countries, although 75% or .
In the released video the serial number starts with UB.
5euro.png
5euro.png (397.14 KiB) Viewed 11673 times
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

JordiJanTaxi wrote:Disappointing, really disappointing.
Oh well. :roll: Pretty much everybody knew that the "new" designs would simply be updated version of the current designs ...

Christian
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Mkay wrote:In the released video the serial number starts with UB.
Yes, there are also UC and UD notes shown in the material. The serial number checksum algorithm seems to be about the same as before, no surprises there.

There is also a new printer code, beginning with V.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

that verical printer code will make it more difficult for us to track. :cry:
giulcenc
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by giulcenc »

Looking at the material on ECB site, 8 serial numbers and 6 short codes are (partially or totally) visible.

It seems short codes and serial numbers are starting with the same letter (U/U and V/V), and I find connections between the first digit of the serial number and the second letter of the short code.
melitikus
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by melitikus »

JordiJanTaxi wrote:Well, here we are.
What a disappointment! The bill is the same. Yes: more languages, Europa face and new emerald print. But same designs, same schemes.
And different serial number. But it doesn't change a thing. Letter A has been introduced, but VA does not mean anything, unless
something different will be released. Two letter-codes could be country codes: BE, DE or GE, NE or NL, IT, FR, EL or GR, etc. But if no further news are given, and if this scan is of a real note, it looks like spanish bills will keep their V, but an A has been added to make serial numbers different from the first series.
I have always imagined even "national" banknotes, where, for example, one quarter could have different representations of different countries, although 75% or more of the paper surface would be same for all of them.
Again, European "innovation" is not innovative, nor imaginative, but serious and boring (and silly?) as usual.
I was waiting for a grey 5, a red 10, and so on, same sizes, but radically different designs, not the same again.
Disappointing, really disappointing.
it has been known for a long time that the new series will be based on the first - basically this is an enhanced edition of the first series. The first series has been in circulation for only 11 years and probably it is too early to have a total revamp. They are referring to this series as the Europa Series instead of the second series, probably for the above reason.

regarding having a national part on the banknotes - i do not agree. If they do that it would be difficult for citizens to know if the banknote is genuine or not and that would lead to a surge in the number of counterfeit banknotes - for coins it is okay. Also the value of coins is not high
legnaw
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by legnaw »

new 5€ video by ECB

http://youtu.be/mzwxtgbIoqI

official webpage of Europa series (in ever language): http://www.new-euro-banknotes.eu/Euro-b ... uperimpose

@melitikus: im agree with your post before me
dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by dserrano5 »

Ewri wrote:that verical printer code will make it more difficult for us to track. :cry:
I find that highly subjective. For example, I personally type first the serial number, then I turn the note and type the printer code. This new orientation makes things easier for me.

I'd like the placement of the printer code to be consistent among denominations. I find the current placement in the :note-50:s rather awkward.
dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by dserrano5 »

giulcenc wrote:I find connections between the first digit of the serial number and the second letter of the short code.
In "Additional features > (3) Standard UV light" there seems to be a printer code V001A6 (barely visible). Later in the video there's a full serial number visible. If it's the same note, that would break this observation.
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl »

so the raised ink lines are the only new security feature officially announced today? I have thought there would be more. In some of the videos, you see some more new UV features, though, like tri-colour UV fibres or different colour in UVC light.

They made videos from a French printer, so I think these several different U/U serials are still French notes, and I've seen a V/V note and a Z printercode. The new notes have been printed by BE, ES, FR, IT, AT, which will fit. This would mean, the printer letters are changed or replaced by the country letters!? So how will notes from Oberthur (E) or Giesecke (P) then be distinguishable from Banque de France and Bundesdruckerei notes?

The second letter seems just a replacement for the first digit, so there will now be 23 billion free numbers per country instead of 10 billion. For the checksum, it's still the same, with A=2 (or 11, or 65 as you wish), B=3 ... U=22 or 4, Z=27 or 0

The shown U/U notes have the "Austrian" plate style, with
UA0 = U00xA1 (like N10)
UA1 = U00xB1 (like N11)
UA9 = U00xJ1
UB0 = U00xA2 (like N20)
UF9 = U00xJ6 (like N69)

Reggae fans look out for U00xE2 notes 8)
melitikus wrote:regarding having a national part on the banknotes - i do not agree. If they do that it would be difficult for citizens to know if the banknote is genuine or not
I still cannot follow this argument. We're not talking of national security features. A citicen won't have to worry about not finding out that a faker drew Pinocchio on the note instead of Mona Lisa. National designs are not security features!
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”