Scandinavian gas stations accepting euros?

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

brewerhki
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Scandinavian gas stations accepting euros?

Post by brewerhki »

Anybody have experience how gas stations by major roads accepting, and/or giving change in euros in Sweden, Norway and Denmark? As I will be on work trip, I cannot get dots/euros outside highways (except late evening at hotel). My first trip will be on Stockholm-Oslo(+Flåm) road and second on Stockholm-Copenhagen(+Rödby) road.

Any other tips finding euros there daytime on highway/major road or evening in the cities?
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Scandinavian gas stations accepting euros?

Post by Phaseolus »

In Danemark, I am using the same strategy as in Switzerland. In these countries, you can pay in Euro in gas stations, but they would not give you euros back and you would lose to much money.

So what I do, is to pay by credit card in DKK and then I ask if they can change a :note-20: for 2 :note-10: as "I have to reimburse a colleague in euro".

In Swizterland it really works fine. In Danmark, I had one succes : http://fr.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=107258626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In Sweden, it's harder but it's worth trying.

And you can always try to do the same with tourists in the gas station.
brewerhki
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by brewerhki »

Well, i just came from bank, and got bundle of fivers, those can be changed into bigger ones. At least worth of try. I remember few years ago one gas station had big sign be the highway, that they accept euros. But that's not by the road next week :(
brewerhki
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by brewerhki »

Well, back in home and can share my experience with others. On Sweden we stopped only in Eskilstuna, I think that was Statoil, but not sure. They didn't accept euros. And in Västerås at Q8. They accepted euros and could give change in Swedish money. I asked to break 20 euro to smaller, but she didn't have any euros at the moment. In Norway only gas stations we stopped were too far from everything, so I didn't bother to ask anything. I guess and hope there would be better change to get euros on the road between Stockholm and Copenhagen.

PS. Money exchange automat in Flåm, Norway didn't accept Europa serie fivers, so I had to spent bigger notes as I had only 28nok (about 3 euro) left. I'd prefer to leave my fivers there and use bigger money elsewhere where I could get new notes in change...
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Asiamaniac »

We will be in Sweden next week. If we have to fill our tank over there, we will report to you.
Meine Angst, dass die Autokorrektur einmal etwas Obszönes ausspuckt, wichst täglich.
brewerhki
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by brewerhki »

Asiamaniac wrote:We will be in Sweden next week. If we have to fill our tank over there, we will report to you.
Finland has cheaper fuel than Sweden, so try not to fill the tank :)

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”