Discussion/News about Europe, EU, politics

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Estonia in EMU on first January 2011

Post by Jes »

tabbs wrote:
Dakkus wrote:According to a news article just published, they have not been minting the Estonian coins yet.
The article mentions that minting the coins will begin on Tuesday next week (that is: 2010-07-20) and will indeed take place in Vantaa, Finland.
Ah, thanks. Makes sense to wait - after all, even though pretty much every light on the way was green this year, making them without the final go-ahead would have been strange. Also, it does not take that long to produce them.
I also didn't know that they have minted coins for Ireland in Vantaa, as well.
Yep, they did and do. The mint in Vantaa has produced euro coins for Cyprus, Finland (surprise), Greece, Ireland, Luxembourg, and Slovenia. And I am pretty sure they get orders from outside the euro area as well. If we look at it the other way round, the Irish euro coins have been made in Austria, Croatia, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, and the UK. :)

Christian
GREAT!

Interesting news, thanks for sharing. Ok, so it is somehow expectable that they would start minting coins now. But this let us know that the coins may have the mint mark of Suommi. Am I right?

Yet another issue: for those people interested, here is an article recently published on a Spanish newspaper: http://www.elpais.com/articulo/economia ... ieco_4/Tes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(in spanish of course :roll: )
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Jes wrote:But this let us know that the coins may have the mint mark of Suommi. Am I right?
Could be, but I doubt it. Whether a mint can put its mark on a coin, or not, is usually part of the contract. For example, the Finnish mint also made most of the circulation coins for Cyprus, but you won't find its mark or logo on these pieces. As for Estonia, we will see - and I hope I can actually see them soon. :)
Yet another issue: for those people interested, here is an article recently published on a Spanish newspaper
Yes, the final decision was made on Tuesday, but since the Council simply OK'd what had been expected anyway, that was not really "big news". That even applies to the conversion rate; from the El País article: "El tipo de conversión será de 15,6466 coronas, que corresponde al cambio central actual en el mecanismo de cambios." Well, since Estonia had unilaterally fixed that rate years ago, anything except 15.6466 would have been a major surprise ...

By the way, those Estonian €1 coins are way too big in my opinion. :mrgreen:
http://tvnewsroom.consilium.europa.eu/s ... a_id/34011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To see the "Euro festivities 2010" video (rather an offical reception), click on "Play". Then watch those coins, roughly from 1:30 to 2:00.

Christian
melitikus
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by melitikus »

first images of the actual Estonian euro coins (test coins) - mass minting will start next Tuesday

starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by starcapitan »

hoping that someone hasn't said before ..
the official changeover site :
http://euro.eesti.ee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
YOUTUBE channel, tracker with 25 hits also internationals and searching for the first triple ;0)
Web Designer della web agency WEDESA :flag-it:
girls legs SUPERFAN
sambrasa

Post by sambrasa »

What is the national identification code for Estonia on future Estonian euro banknotes?
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

melitikus wrote:first images of the actual Estonian euro coins (test coins) - mass minting will start next Tuesday
The minting has indeed started today, according to a Finnish newspaper (article available in Finnish only):
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/uutiset/kotim ... id=2226545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Fortunately the mint's website is by and large trilingual. ;)

http://www.suomenrahapaja.fi/eng/the-mi ... of-finland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note the comment "Estonia is now the eighth country for which we produce euro coins" roughly in the middle of the article.

Christian
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

sambrasa wrote:What is the national identification code for Estonia on future Estonian euro banknotes?
You mean the central bank code on the reverse? Well, currently Estonia does not need any - as in previous cases, the initial supply will be "borrowed" from other Eurosystem banks. As for what the code could be in the future, let's see - Slovenia got the H, Cyprus G, Malta F, Slovakia E ... so Estonia could be "D". Just my personal guess though. :)

Christian
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

tabbs wrote:
sambrasa wrote:What is the national identification code for Estonia on future Estonian euro banknotes?
You mean the central bank code on the reverse? Well, currently Estonia does not need any - as in previous cases, the initial supply will be "borrowed" from other Eurosystem banks. As for what the code could be in the future, let's see - Slovenia got the H, Cyprus G, Malta F, Slovakia E ... so Estonia could be "D". Just my personal guess though. :)

Christian
I agree with you. :)
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by starcapitan »

YOUTUBE channel, tracker with 25 hits also internationals and searching for the first triple ;0)
girls legs SUPERFAN
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

And that is also where you find a press release about their coins. :)
http://www.eestipank.info/pub/en/press/ ... _07/pt0716" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems that, while the map is basically the same for all denominations, there are subtle differences. Notes are not mentioned though.

Christian
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

http://ec.europa.eu/news/economy/100715_en.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
European soul, European pride.
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

If you want to invoke any conversation, write a condensed reference (a few sentcences) about the article. Now people might read the article, but will probably not comment it here.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Maybe such a euro changeover has become more or less routine, at least for us EBTers, so there is hardly anything to discuss. ;) Some more info about the changeover, mostly from the EuroVeeb website:

* Estonia will introduce the euro in a "big bang" changeover: Until 31 Dec the currency is the kroon; as from 1 Jan it will be the euro. For two weeks, until mid-January, it will also be possible to pay with EEK cash though.

* Most offices of commercial banks will exchange krooni into euro (at the official rate, without exchange fees) for a period of seven months, starting one month before €-Day. That is, between 1 December 2010 and the end of June 2011. After that, a limited number of bank offices will continue that service until the end of 2011.

* In the two-week dual circulation period (first half of January) ATMs in Estonia are supposed to give out €5, €10 and €50 notes. As from mid-January it will be up to each bank again what denominations the machines dispense.

Christian
starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by starcapitan »

still nothing about the edge inscription of the estonian 2 E ??
girls legs SUPERFAN

Return to “Europe-Board”