No !
75%

Total votes: 217

Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Turkey in Europe?

Post by Olivier »

The enlargement will probably take place in 2004 (less than 18 months!).
The status of Turkey is not clear yet... do you personnaly think Turkey should join Europe?

O.
BossaNova
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by BossaNova »

I think that when they're ready they should join, because although a big part of their teritory is out of Europe, they have a common history with Europe, and a part of Turkey is in europe.. so I don't see why not..

strange is watching Israel in the European sports competitions.. and even in the Euro Song Contest... that I really don't like and don't understand...
iveohc
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by iveohc »

@Isreal

Yes, that's strange but the Arabs will NEVER let them join in their competitions. Maybe they should join the north american competitions ;)

@Turkey

I don't think they have much in common with Europe. It won't be a problem to let a city like Istanbul join the EU, but the rest of Turkey is very islamic and very different from us
Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Skylimit »

Not yet.
I think that 10 new members is more than amitious enough.
Furthermore, there need to be a better system for taking desicions (majority)
Time is on our side ...
ag_pt
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by ag_pt »

iveohc wrote: Yes, that's strange but the Arabs will NEVER let them join in their competitions. Maybe they should join the north american competitions ;)
Turks are not arabs. They are muslims, but not arabs.
wouter
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by wouter »

ag_pt wrote:
iveohc wrote: Yes, that's strange but the Arabs will NEVER let them join in their competitions. Maybe they should join the north american competitions ;)
you are right about that but he talks about israel with its arabic neighbours

turkey should first get rid af the dead-penalty and torturing before they can join europe

Post by Guest »

ag_pt wrote:
iveohc didn't say they are :wink: I think he meant that even if israel is geographically among arab countries, israel takes part in eurovision song contest (as turkey does) because arabs wouldn't let israel to their contests
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier »

wouter wrote: turkey should first get rid af the dead-penalty and torturing before they can join europe
They have started, with the abolution of the death penalt. The USA have not abolished it (yet?).
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier »

iveohc wrote:@Isreal

Yes, that's strange but the Arabs will NEVER let them join in their competitions. Maybe they should join the north american competitions ;)
There is a "eurovision" for the Arabic countries? I did'nt know...
iveohc wrote: @Turkey
I don't think they have much in common with Europe. It won't be a problem to let a city like Istanbul join the EU, but the rest of Turkey is very islamic and very different from us
Yes, but it can change. After all, the eastern european countries were very different from us before 1989...
I imagine Turkey could join in the 2010's...

Olivier
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier »

Skylimit wrote:Not yet.
I think that 10 new members is more than amitious enough.
Furthermore, there need to be a better system for taking desicions (majority)
I agree! I hope the Convention on Europe will get some results very soon.
Does someone have infos on their work?

O.
BossaNova
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by BossaNova »

Olivier wrote:
iveohc wrote:@Isreal

There is a "eurovision" for the Arabic countries? I did'nt know...
iveohc wrote: @Turkey
Yes, but it can change. After all, the eastern european countries were very different from us before 1989...
I imagine Turkey could join in the 2010's...

Olivier
I agree, and to all of you that are against, try to think that with Turkey in European Union, the relations betwen EU and the arab countries would be a lot better.. there wouldn't be that shock of civilazations because more then ever they would be mixed up...
iveohc
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by iveohc »

BossaNova wrote:they would be mixed up...
call me intolerant but after all I don't want to mix with arab culture.....
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier »

iveohc wrote:
BossaNova wrote:they would be mixed up...
call me intolerant but after all I don't want to mix with arab culture.....
You're not obliged to! Though, Turkey already belongs to our cultural environment: it's been member of NATO for decades, the first commercial partner of Turkey is the EU (before the USA)... There are thousands of european tourists who go to Turkey every year.

In the XVIth century, Turkey was allied with France. :-) François 1er found in Turkey a good ally to fight Austria of Charles Quint...

I've never been there, yet.

Olivier
(on his new laptop!! yepeee!! :D )
iveohc
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by iveohc »

Well, Turkey is in the NATO because of its strategical position, not because of it's culture.

Again: I'm not talking about Istanbul or the tourist towns, I'm talking about the backland.

Also you have to see, that the slope of income is definitly to high. There would be a mass migration to Germany, France, the UK etc.

And finally, don't forget it's the European Union and not a world welfare. Most of Turkey is definitly not on the european continent. If you let them join, who's next? Algeria? Central Asian States? Russia?

If this would happen, the EU would be unable to act anymore. It's hard enough the form a real union with the current states, if there would be even more, I can guarantee you, the EU will collapse.
BossaNova
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by BossaNova »

iveohc wrote:Well, Turkey is in the NATO because of its strategical position, not because of it's culture.

Again: I'm not talking about Istanbul or the tourist towns, I'm talking about the backland.

Also you have to see, that the slope of income is definitly to high. There would be a mass migration to Germany, France, the UK etc.

And finally, don't forget it's the European Union and not a world welfare. Most of Turkey is definitly not on the european continent. If you let them join, who's next? Algeria? Central Asian States? Russia?

If this would happen, the EU would be unable to act anymore. It's hard enough the form a real union with the current states, if there would be even more, I can guarantee you, the EU will collapse.
if many europeans feel like you, it will probably collapse a lot sooner then that.. and that's probably not a bad thing either... :roll:

Return to “Europe-Board”