Brainstorm for a metric for the "interestingness" of a hit

Do you want to test the possibilities of this forum? Want to test out your new signature? You can do it here.

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Crazy Bob, Fons

Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Brainstorm for a metric for the "interestingness" of a hit

Post by Jes »

doiknow wrote: Why is the first hit still as interesting as it was at that time it happened? Why isn't it? Or think backwards. What if a hit happens in a tracked place that gets untracked? This leads us to some kind of 'average paradoxon'
Well, the first hit ever, is interesting because it was the first one. The first Hit ever in a city, is somehow more interesting than the comming ones, because it was the first and it brought us attention, at least more than the second hit; right?

There will not be much difference (in interestingness means) between the 1st and 2nd hit in the same place, but when there are 100 hits involving that city, the 1st one would be regarded as "the pioner"... well... maybe. it is just an opinion.
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
claudio vda
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by claudio vda »

With the algorithms that are going to be developed, the index of interest is something that can change in the time.

If the index is calculated using hit ratio of towns and users, those ratios change in the time, so also the index will: the first hit Barcelona - Kosice, for example, may have idex 100, when a second hit will born between Barcellona and Kosice, the first hit will decrease to 75.
My statistics on EBTCHECK (Latest update 11.03.2024)
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

claudio vda wrote:With the algorithms that are going to be developed, the index of interest is something that can change in the time.

If the index is calculated using hit ratio of towns and users, those ratios change in the time, so also the index will: the first hit Barcelona - Kosice, for example, may have idex 100, when a second hit will born between Barcellona and Kosice, the first hit will decrease to 75.
I think that's a very smart aproach. Although it would be difficult to "change" all the hits' "interestingness factor" When a new hit does appear
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
doiknow
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by doiknow »

What I want to say is: We need to recalculate the interestingness in a continius way. Otherwise the hitscore will decrease over the years and our whole rating system would be wrong...
Maybe we shouldn't take into account the 'hitratio of a city' but the 'hitratio of the city in the last 12 months' or whatever? Nonetheless I like claudios approach to decrease a factor with the number of hits that happened between two special places...
One Currency, one Union, one Eurobilltracker...
My dots are of the same order as 10.
-STAR-
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by -STAR- »

doiknow wrote:What I want to say is: We need to recalculate the interestingness in a continius way. Otherwise the hitscore will decrease over the years and our whole rating system would be wrong...
What's wrong with this approach? Personally, I don't like the idea of leveraging the "interestingness" of a hit over time or dynamically adjust it with current factors.
I'd suggest to calculate the "interestingness" of a hit the moment it happens and store it somewhere with the hit data (seperate database table for example).
Otherwise the results we achieve would not be comparable, because even a single hit can change the whole outcome of the formula.
The only exception would be the "upgrade" of a hit, i.e. when a double becomes a triple, a triple becomes a quadruple and so on.

Rgds, Franz
Recent & 1000 day Stats | EBT Profile | AT Short Codes | VIE Revisited
30.08.2010 • U2 • 360° • Praterstadion • Vienna • Austria • I was there!
claudio vda
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by claudio vda »

So, you propose to froze all the parameters at the instant when a hit it is done.
Jes wrote: Although it would be difficult to "change" all the hits' "interestingness factor"
I thought it was the opposite: the more easy algoritm is the dinamic one

Dinamic
01 Look for parameters
02 Calculate formula
03 Show result
04 End

Static
01 Have this hit an index?
If "yes" go to 100, if "no" go to 02
02 Look for parameters
03 Calculate the formula
04 Write index
05 Show result
06 End
100 Read index
101 Show result
102 End

But let's find a good formula, then we will discuss about static or dinamic: tomorrow morning I have got my exam, see you just after! :P
De-Ker
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by De-Ker »

wow nice suggestions here...

First question.. Will a dynamic ranking system not to demanding for the server. I mean if the server has to calculate them every now and then it might be to slow??

We could control the deceasing of the ranking system by using the total hitratio of a city + the last years city ratio /2
Also we could calculate this when we constantly use the average hitratio of all notes/hits in whole ebt. not sure how to do this exactly tho

Also, shouldn't we include the direction of a hit. For instance a note from Greece, taken by a finish user to Finland, is in my opinion less interesting then visa versa.

Lastly. We should find something to exclude the belgium/dutch hits, which are the most common i guess. These are international, but less intresting then a france/spain hit or italy/greece, however they got the same value as a belgium/dutch hit in the county's involved. Maybe we can also include some sort of hits between county's and not only between the two city's. Not sure how to work this out with national hits.
claudio vda
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by claudio vda »

De-Ker wrote: Not sure how to work this out with national hits.
Calculating only kilometers and not the number of borders? :wink:

By the way, I am working...
claudio vda
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by claudio vda »

I am working to an index that resumes many of the ideas showed in the precedents post

I = m log(d t) : log((n+e) c)

m=multeplicity: 2 for normal hits, 3 for triples, 4 for quadruples...
d=distance in km in d>=1 ; d=1 if the distance is 0 km
t= time in days

n= number of hit involving the users
c= number of hit involving the locations
e= little number because log(1) = 0
in my calculations , e is for the moment 0,1 , but we will see later about that number

log = decimal logarithm (because is more easy do calculations, we can change the base)

About the numerator. Usually the kilometres are something about 10, 100, 500, 1000 if you are very lucky 2000 or 3000, but hit of 15 000 km are extremely unusual. Usually the days are 10, 100, 500, more than 1000 they became unusual. So the product is something between 1 and about 3 millions: with the log it becomes something between 1 and 6.

About the denominator: it's quite difficult to have "usual values" here, but in this formula, when c is locked, the increase of 10 times of the number of hits between two users may be balanced by the increase of 10 times of the distance or days, so for example

Wien-Wien 7 days between two little users = Wien-Wien 70 days between two users with 10 times hits togheter

The problem is the zero.
On the numerator: 1 or 0 km are approximatively the same thing, so we can replace the 0 with a 1; 0 days it is not possible (automatically moderated), so no problems.
On the denominator: here 1 or 2 hits between users or cities ARE different, and we have to forbid that the product will be 1 because of the logarithm, so I placed temporaneally a little number, e, for correct that. In my first calculation this number was 0,1 , but I saw that if e = 0,96478 , a hit with 10 days and 10 km, n=1, c=1, has I =100, and that is nice :wink:

I tried this index with repetite hits in the time, e=0,1

1) User A inserts some notes from a place. Those notes are found by user B at 10 km of distance, the first the day 1, the second the day 10, the third the day 20, the fourth the day 30, the fifth the day 40
I = 48,32 , then 6,418, then 4,752, then 4,078, then 3,700

2) User A inserts some notes from a place. Those notes are found by user B always on days 1,10, 20... but in different locations (user B is rotating around A)
I=48,32, then 12,41, then 9,366 , then 8,084, then 7,355

3)User A and user B are moving around Europe, but user B found many bills of A, (d t) is always 100, but locations are always virgins
I= 96,64 , then 12,41, then 8,140 , then 6,528, then 5,655

Now I have to test this algorithm with real hits, but I have got the problem of finding n and c
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

Good work! :D

Ok, I think it is a nice formula. Nevertheless, I think we shouldn't give that importance to the number of days. As a 100km hit in 10 days is more interesting than a 10km 100 days. (IMO!!) What do you think?

It can be easly solved by slight modification in the formula.

Btw, when I saw e, I thought e = 2.71828 :? :oops:

Similarly, I think we should give less importance to the users themselves. What if a user has a hit when travelling with a person whith whom (s)he has previously had a hit? is the hit for that reason less interesting than if it would have occurred with a different user. Maybe... but it is not the essential part of the interest of a hit.

The same: we can slightly modify the formula; that is very easy to do.

The good thing of this formula is that it will give us a more close range of values, although I think that what we actually need is a formula which considerabely punish the non interesting hits and "rises up" the super-interesting hits.

Well, it is just my opinion, I do not know what may think the others (Math murderer or any other user ;) )
claudio vda wrote:Now I have to test this algorithm with real hits, but I have got the problem of finding n and c
Easy:

Once you are in the page of the hit. lets say: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=21128835" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the "c" you have to click on one of the cities: pisa and follow "Compagni di hit". In this case, you have Pisa - Torino = 1 hit.

What is for the "n" you have to be lucky: click on one of the users, and go to the page of the user. Once there, go to "Hit partners" again, and you will see (if available) the number of hits the user has with the other one.

Another reason why I do not like the "n" is that: if both users do not want to share the "hit partners" statistics... you are betrayed. I suppouse that info is stored somewhere, but the "interestingness factor" wouldn't be fully transparent. (I don't know if I explained it in a sufficently propper way :? )

BTW: this example gave me a hint... Should we consider the denomination of a note for this interestingness stuff?
I think a hit with a :note-5: or :note-10: or :note-20: or :note-50: are more or less within the same interestingness sphere. but :note-100: and :note-500: and specially :note-200: are more interesting... as these notes are rather unfrequent. (At least for me)
However, this lead us into a very complicated formula, not only because we should introduce a new factor in there, but also because... Why not consider then if the note is a R/X or something more strange M/M or whatever... :?: Ok, I'd better answer my self: not such factor is to be taken into account :roll:
claudio vda
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by claudio vda »

Jes wrote: Btw, when I saw e, I thought e = 2.71828 :? :oops:
Because it was little, I started with epsilon , and I traslated in my latin keyboard, but doesn't matter :lol:
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

claudio vda wrote:
Jes wrote: Btw, when I saw e, I thought e = 2.71828 :? :oops:
Because it was little, I started with epsilon , and I traslated in my latin keyboard, but doesn't matter :lol:
and what about 1+log(whatever might be 1)
claudio vda
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by claudio vda »

Jes wrote: and what about 1+log(whatever might be 1)
That's a good idea!
-STAR-
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by -STAR- »

claudio vda wrote:I thought it was the opposite: the more easy algoritm is the dinamic one
Maybe easier in the implementation, but more work for the server.
claudio vda wrote:But let's find a good formula, then we will discuss about static or dinamic:
Seconded.
claudio vda wrote:tomorrow morning I have got my exam, see you just after! :P
How was the exam?
Rgds, Franz
-STAR-
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by -STAR- »

claudio vda wrote:I am working to an index that resumes many of the ideas showed in the precedents post
Nice formula! Some thoughts follow.
The problem is the zero.
Indeed it is.
On the numerator: 1 or 0 km are approximatively the same thing, so we can replace the 0 with a 1
I would not replace it, but merely add "1" to the number of kilometers. It makes no difference at all.
0 days it is not possible (automatically moderated), so no problems.
Hits with zero days are possible! Though (currently) automatically moderated, a hit can be interesting even in zero day situations
and there have been numerous incidents when zero-day-hits have been unmoderated upon request given a plausible explanation.
A work-around might also be to add "1" to the number of days. It only slightly skews the results.

Rgds, Franz

Return to “Test-Forum”