Cyrillic and Greek fonts test

Do you want to test the possibilities of this forum? Want to test out your new signature? You can do it here.

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Crazy Bob, Fons

Aaron
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aaron »

!Pretfles! wrote:Off course the Bulgarian works, it is the same font as Russian
Actually there are some differences. It's not completely the same.

The same consists on Ukrainian. They have some letter which don't exist in Russian (for example Ï; like YKPAÏHA).
Kedvenc állatam a hörcsög; ha rálépek, szörcsög.
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

Fons wrote:Three strange Icelandic letters:

ð Þ þ
English people really should've kept using these.
I saw a picture of a page from Beowulf and they seemed to use letters ð and Ð there. (same letter, first one is lowercase, the second one uppercase)
That letter means the same as "th" (or more exactly "dh", but the English write it as "th" anyway :))

þ and Þ (uppercase, lowercase) mean "th".

Each of these four letters are used in Icelandic.
If I remember right, ð is normally used in middle of a word and Þ in the beginning of it.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Fons »

Dakkus wrote:If I remember right, ð is normally used in middle of a word and Þ in the beginning of it.
Yes that's right, it's the same letter, but if the letter is the first letter of a word, it changes.
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

Fons wrote:
Dakkus wrote:If I remember right, ð is normally used in middle of a word and Þ in the beginning of it.
Yes that's right, it's the same letter, but if the letter is the first letter of a word, it changes.
Well.. I wouldn't call it the same letter. It's pronounced differently. Not much differently, but still differently. An Icelandic friend of mine once explained this to me.
It's about the same as A and Ä in Finnish. In many cases Ä is placed in A's place where A is too hard to pronounce. So, they're used in the same occassion, but have slightly different meanings.
Aaron
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aaron »

Dakkus wrote:It's about the same as A and Ä in Finnish. In many cases Ä is placed in A's place where A is too hard to pronounce. So, they're used in the same occassion, but have slightly different meanings.
But the difference between A and Ä is significant. You can't really mix them up.

Meanwhile some foreigners (including my girlfriend) seem to have problems in hearing and pronouncing Ä and E differently. :roll:
Kedvenc állatam a hörcsög; ha rálépek, szörcsög.
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

Aaron wrote:
Dakkus wrote:It's about the same as A and Ä in Finnish. In many cases Ä is placed in A's place where A is too hard to pronounce. So, they're used in the same occassion, but have slightly different meanings.
But the difference between A and Ä is significant. You can't really mix them up.
Thats exactly what I meant :)
airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by airis »

Some users write town names in Greek. That is okay.
http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/index.php ... id=2268658

But I can see the Greek letters only when I change the language also to Greek.

So the original town name Korinth(os) /Corinth(os) written in Greek: ΚΟΡΙΝΘΟΣ 20100
(btw when language is Greek, some letters in foreign town names also change to some Greek letters. (for example Köln (Cologne) to Kφln )

But if the chosen language is other, for example Finnish or English, I see: ÊÏÑÉÍÈÏÓ 20100
Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Fons »

airis wrote:Some users write town names in Greek. That is okay.
http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/index.php ... id=2268658

But I can see the Greek letters only when I change the language also to Greek.

So the original town name Korinth(os) /Corinth(os) written in Greek: ΚΟΡΙΝΘΟΣ 20100
(btw when language is Greek, some letters in foreign town names also change to some Greek letters. (for example Köln (Cologne) to Kφln )

But if the chosen language is other, for example Finnish or English, I see: ÊÏÑÉÍÈÏÓ 20100

Here too,

I have excactly the same here.
When changing the language to Greek I can see the Greek letters, but otherwise, it are some other letters
Äáóïò ×áéäáñéïõ (Athens), ×áíéá (Xania), and more.....
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

You can get around the problem also without changing the lanugage you use EBT in by doing the following:

This applies for Mozilla Firefox, it should be about the same for those who still use Internet Explorer:
View -> Character Coding -> More -> West European -> Greek (ISO 8859-7)

The text will then look correct and you can keep browsing the site in any language you want to. (Thouogh letters Ä, Ö, Å and so on will look a bit weirdish. But you'll get used to it)

Post by Guest »

Haha...no problem with greek or russian here, my computer even understands chinese or japanese.....

...like 平成元年 ? (the year 1989)
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Re: testing again

Post by androl »

Fons wrote:Şğİş

Some letters from a newssite in Azerbeidzjan, I wanted to try the 'upside down 'e''. They use that letter.
But when I try to paste it here it changes into a Square or a Questionmark :(
Azərbaycan
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."

Return to “Test-Forum”