Testing signature

Do you want to test the possibilities of this forum? Want to test out your new signature? You can do it here.

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Crazy Bob, Fons

lazza
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lazza »

Whoa....

Internet revival? Hadn't thought of that.... makes me feel old.
pepitopulpito
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by pepitopulpito »

OK, one more question, if anybody out there can help me...
How can I see if what I've done works properly without putting it in my profile? I mean, is there a faster way to check if it's well done?
Thank you again!
¡Participa! Speel mee! Participez! Take part in! Spiel mit!
:flag-eu: EBT WhatPulse Team :flag-eu:
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

Open Notepad. (The fastest way for that is: Press Windows+R, then write "notepad", then press enter) ("windows" is the key between Ctrl and Alt)

Write the stuff in a text-file and press Save As. In the lower part of the saving window there's a drop-down list which currently says "text-files (*.txt)". Change it to "All Files".
Now save the file with the name iamanapple.html on your desktop. It is important that you write the ending as .html and NOT as .txt.
The file should appear on your desktop with the logo of your web browser of choise. Double-click it and you'll see you've made your very first own web page! :)

From now on you can just edit the text file and save it normally with the "Save" button. After saving you will have to reload the page in the web browser to see the effects. You may do that either by clicking an icon in the upper part of the web browser window or by pressing F5 or Ctrl+R.

If you accidentally close the Notepad window, you can get the code back by first opening Notepad and then choosing Open File from the menu. Now just choose the iamanapple.html file on your desktop and open it in Notepad.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
pepitopulpito
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by pepitopulpito »

OK, so, how much is it for your fast-master-informatic lessons???
Just a couple of weeks and I'll be a powerful hacker!!!
THANK YOU DAKKUS!!! You'll have an acknowledgement in my profile... :wink:
pepitopulpito
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by pepitopulpito »

Already done something basic with my profile... I'll improve it.
Thank you again, Dakkus
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

pepitopulpito wrote:OK, so, how much is it for your fast-master-informatic lessons???
Just a couple of weeks and I'll be a powerful hacker!!!
THANK YOU DAKKUS!!! You'll have an acknowledgement in my profile... :wink:
I'd consider finding one of the banknote's I've entered a payment good enough ;)
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
pepitopulpito
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by pepitopulpito »

Dakkus wrote: I'd consider finding one of the banknote's I've entered a payment good enough ;)
As far I can do that, I only can offer you the promised acknowlegement... :oops: Just take a look at the end of my statistics...
:wink:
http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/index.php ... 8;id=67767
eurojuanmi
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by eurojuanmi »

2005-11-24 15:03 :note-10: Berlicum - Madrid :flag-nl: :flag-es: angèle -> 1430 km 121 days
eurojuanmi
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by eurojuanmi »

Signature:
JP Simões
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by JP Simões »

>Signature Avaliable. Yes!<
De férias por período indeterminado...
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

lazza wrote:whatever happened to <blink>this irritating trend</blink>

Most browsers don't seem to recognise it :roll:
藍安地

Does this meen something? (I'm curious)
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
Donga
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by Donga »

testing my sig
Donga
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by Donga »

test
ElBarto
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by ElBarto »

testing my new mirror:

tset|test
zopac

Post by zopac »

Dakkus wrote:Errm.. Not a very easy thing to describe for someone who doesn't just plain understand it.

You know shortcuts in Windows? Symbolic links (also known as symlinks) are their equivalent in Linux.

Basically I'm creating into the dev-directory (you might know the word "directory" better with the name "folder") a symlink (shortcut) with name "life". The symlink points to a file called irssi in directory /usr/bin/

In Linux all devices are referred to as files, just like text documents. For example the sound card is referred to as a file called "snd". When you want to make sound, you can just open that file and write things to its end. The data you write there will then be played from the computer's speakers. All devices, including hard drives and power button, mouse and keyboard work similarly. Mouse is often a file called "mouse". All of these device files are stored in the directory called dev.
Thus - assuming that I'm a computer - /dev/life would be a device called life. Everything that happens in life could be either read from the file /dev/life or .written to its end. For example if my left hand just suddenly falls away, you could see that by reading the file called life in directory dev.

But in this case life is not a real file, but only a symlink. Thus, whatever I do to it actually happens to the file /usr/bin/irssi. In Windows all programs have the ending .EXE after them. In Linux that is not necessary, because the program itself contains the information that it's a program and there's no need to have the ending .EXE. In Windows world /usr/bin/irssi would look like this: C:\Program Files\irssi\irssi.exe.
Now, irssi happens to be an IRC client program. The best one out there, in my opinion. Therefore, all that happens in irssi is also shown in life. And all that happens in life actually happens in IRC.

So.. My signature is a unix command that basically means "IRC is my life".

No, the line is not supposed to be understandable. It's a very underground joke only very likeminded people can understand.

Now, if you are wondering what the heck that IRC thing that is so sacred to me actually is, please go to http://webchat.xs4all.nl/cgi-bin/ircnet/irc.cgi .
Write pepitopulpito to the "Nickname" field and #ebt to the "Channel" field.
You'll end up having great time with fellow EBTers! There's also a Spanish version, but it's very much more quiet than the international version. You can reach the Spanish channel by writing #ebt.es to the channel field.
It's also possible being on #ebt and #ebt.es at the same time. Ask for more information about this when you are on the channel. It's really easy and nice, you really ought to give it a try!
You will also easily understand what I've written here after hanging in IRC for a while :)
my life is sometimes: ln -s /dev/urandom /dev/life
but mostly: ln -s /dev/null /dev/life

Return to “Test-Forum”