Comments from/to non-Dutch speaking forumers

Geef ons je mening. Heb je ideeën waarmee we de site kunnen verbeteren? Deel het met ons!

Moderators: Crazy Bob, Fons, eddydevries

anto989
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Comments from/to non-Dutch speaking forumers

Post by anto989 »

Hi everyone! :) i'll be in Amsterdam from 26 to 28 March..need some advise from locals if possible :)

What's the best way to move from schipol to the city center?
Are tulips already blooming?
last one..someone told me about a little place where time seems to be stopped and there'r so many molen,where's?

ps: search for my bills,99% are marked with a dot or a small X under the last digit of the serial number.
NEXT STEP: arrivare al primo posto nella classifica dei tracciatori calabresi :twisted: (12 AGOSTO 2009,CHE SODDISFAZIONE :twisted: )
MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by MDeen »

Best way to get to the city is take the train to Amsterdam Centraal. There are many. If you have a hotel in the city you can search for connections (train, bus, tram and metro) at http://www.9292.nl. For train-only you can use http://www.ns.nl
Tulips start to bloom from half March, so you might find some. The train from Haarlem to Leiden goes past a lot of tulip fields. Coincidentally, the Keukenhof opened today.
The place with the windmills might be the Zaanse Schans.
anto989
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by anto989 »

Perfect!A really think i'll visit Zaanse just on Sunday!

Where is possible to have a panoramic view of Amsterdam?I read there'r 3 churchies,unfurtunately they will open on April.
NEXT STEP: arrivare al primo posto nella classifica dei tracciatori calabresi :twisted: (12 AGOSTO 2009,CHE SODDISFAZIONE :twisted: )
JRR
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by JRR »

anto989 wrote:Where is possible to have a panoramic view of Amsterdam?
You may want to try the highest floor of the public library in Amsterdam. There's also a restaurant on the top floor where you have a nice view of the city. On sunny days the outside terrace is open. Entry is free of course! The library is open on Saturday and Monday.

The library is located on a 5 minute walk from Central Station.

http://www.oba.nl/oba/english/central-library.html
groentje
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by groentje »

The Eye? Acrosss the waterfront At Central Station, there's a film museum and a café with big windows. It's a short (and free?) ferry crossing away.
JRR
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by JRR »

The Overhoeks tower or A'dam tower like it's called for the tourists on the other side of the water and near the EYE film museum is still closed. At the moment it's being renovated and it will open later this year.
anto989
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by anto989 »

back to Italy...Guys,what a magic place A'dam is!!! Very impressive,no caos even if is the capital city,everthing in order,kind people,each one replied to my questions with a big smile and kindly, efficient public services and no expensive prices as I expected.

Nothing to say...I really had a great time.Only too cold for me, but of course,I live in a subtropical climate! :P

ps: i've been at the public librar,thanks for the advice :D

ps2. I spent many :note-50: and :note-20: near bloemenmarkt , let's find them! :P
sen-chuan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by sen-chuan »

Please vote eurobilltracker.eu to EURrid web award: all infos are here: viewtopic.php?p=1149512#p1149512
[EBTCkeck - my EBT Stats aggiornamento/updating: 06.03.2024
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

Hi, I wanted to ask a technical question about the new status of Caribisch Nederland. The situation after the end of Nederlandse Antillen is that Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba are now part of the Nederland territory (despite the administrative autonomy), so I wondered exactly how they could decide to adopt the US dollar instead of the Euro.
European soul, European pride.
MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by MDeen »

http://www.europeesparlement.nl/nl/eu-i ... opese-unie (not sure if there is a translated version).
Basically, overseas areas of the Netherlands (and Denmark, France and the United Kingdom) are not part of the European Union and therefore do not need to adhere to EU law. So they can choose which currency to use. The BES-islands chose to use USD because of the large volume of tourism from the US.

And as usual, it is put in a law: http://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0028551/2012-07-01
groentje
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by groentje »

I think it depends, I mean, French Polynesia, as a TOM isn't part of the EU, to my understanding, but Guadéloupe, Réunion, French Guyana..., which are DOM, are a part of the EU. Greenland got out again, but was initially part of the EEC, they got out when they got more autonomy. But I guess it's decided case by case, there are 2 zones belonging to the UK where they pay in Euro, the military zones on Cyprus, to give an exemple of the opposite.
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

MDeen wrote:http://www.europeesparlement.nl/nl/eu-i ... opese-unie (not sure if there is a translated version).
Basically, overseas areas of the Netherlands (and Denmark, France and the United Kingdom) are not part of the European Union and therefore do not need to adhere to EU law. So they can choose which currency to use. The BES-islands chose to use USD because of the large volume of tourism from the US.
I knew that the islands of Dutch Caribbean was not part of EU, but I do not understand how BES-islands can maintain this status now that they are part of the territory of Nederland...
groentje wrote:But I guess it's decided case by case, there are 2 zones belonging to the UK where they pay in Euro, the military zones on Cyprus, to give an exemple of the opposite.
Yes, but this theoretically should only be valid for territories that are not directly part of the States, as in the example of the DOM French ones that you did.
MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by MDeen »

ART wrote:
MDeen wrote:http://www.europeesparlement.nl/nl/eu-i ... opese-unie (not sure if there is a translated version).
I knew that the islands of Dutch Caribbean was not part of EU, but I do not understand how BES-islands can maintain this status now that they are part of the territory of Nederland...
Simple: even though they are part of Dutch territory, they are not part of Europe or the EU. Therefor, EU law does not apply.

The Netherlands could stake a claim to Antarctica, but that does not make that part of Antarctica a part of Europe.
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

MDeen wrote: Simple: even though they are part of Dutch territory, they are not part of Europe or the EU. Therefor, EU law does not apply.

The Netherlands could stake a claim to Antarctica, but that does not make that part of Antarctica a part of Europe.
Non so simple, MDeen.
The territories of EU member States are automatically part of the EU for this simple fact. If you are a member of the EU, all your territory (and not just a part of your choice) is EU.
The part of Antarctica claimed by The Netherlands would not automatically be annexed to The Netherlands: without direct annexation it would remain a dependence under control of The Netherlands, which is different.

We're just missing something in the logic of this matter...
Last edited by ART on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

I think that one of the reasons they don't have to change to the Euro, that they are a "Special municipality of the Netherlands" (for example: they don't belong to a "Province" like other municipalities do).
Before the reorganisation the Kingdom of the Netherlands consisted of 3 parts: the Netherlands, Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles.
All three had different money (like you see nowadays in Great-Brittain: there are different kinds of Pounds):
The Netherlands: Dutch Guilder (which exchanged in Euro in 2002)
Aruba: Aruban Florin
Netherlands Antilles: Netherlands Antillean guilder

According to the Central Bank they decided to change to the US-Dollar, because most visitors are from the US or US-Dollar using countries.

But I have sent an e-mail to the National Bank to ask why they could choose, which currency to use.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing

Return to “Site en Euro-tracking Discussie (Nederlands)”