When will we start...

Forum to discuss all the international EBT-Meeting topics

Moderators: Crazy Bob, eddydevries, philgelico, Raumi, MDeen, Jackgaillard, Ludwigsfeld, Aatos99, lmviterbo

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: S-EBTM 2018: Nominate your City

Post by avij »

Anyone? Or no summer meeting at all this year? I would guess a "smaller" meeting would do as well, given the situation.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: When will we start...

Post by Aatos99 »

We've been thinking about Lithuania. What do you think?

I can be at least one of the organizers, and it would be a pleasure to get also local knowledge to organizing :wink: But anyway, I'm ready to organize the meeting in Lithuania.
Ei sitä koskaan tiedä_Aatos99
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Asiamaniac »

Lithuania is a great idea! I wish I could join but it is very likely that this year I must stay at home.
Meine Angst, dass die Autokorrektur einmal etwas Obszönes ausspuckt, wichst täglich.
bzajc
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by bzajc »

Lithuania sounds great, but i can only attend if the meeting is in September. All other dates are already taken by my coleagues at work.
Ludwigsfeld
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by Ludwigsfeld »

A meeting in Lithuania in September sounds good to me as well!
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

Good! I start to look dates on September.

There are two big cities that could be good for a meeting place in Lithuania, Kaunas and Vilna. What do you think, which one would be better?
Ludwigsfeld
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by Ludwigsfeld »

I dont have a preference, but i think the capital Vilna would be a nice location, it has a big airport and can be reached easily from every major airport in Europe.
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

Ludwigsfeld wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:36 pm I dont have a preference, but i think the capital Vilna would be a nice location, it has a big airport and can be reached easily from every major airport in Europe.
Yeah, that's a good point. It's easiest to organize it in the capital. :)
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

Vilnius looks like a good place for a meeting.

Because that's the only nomination for the summer meeting, there won't be a voting for "which city".

So if you please start with organizing the meeting, we would like you to do.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

eddydevries wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:54 pm Vilnius looks like a good place for a meeting.

Because that's the only nomination for the summer meeting, there won't be a voting for "which city".

Yeah, I'll start working on it. :) And if some local has tips of good restaurants and places to visit, it would be a pleasure. :)
the_pooh_tripper
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by the_pooh_tripper »

Aatos99 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:45 pm
eddydevries wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:54 pm Vilnius looks like a good place for a meeting.

Yeah, I'll start working on it. :) And if some local has tips of good restaurants and places to visit, it would be a pleasure. :)
A nice place to visit would be Uzupis. 8)
siriusLT
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by siriusLT »

It's nice to hear that you have chosen Vilnius when we're celebrating 100th anniversary of Lithuania's state! :flag-lt: :) 8)
First advice - don't take the local taxi from the airport if you don't want to overpay for your trip. You can use an app e-taksi or just find some taxi company and call them (the waiting time will be up to ~5 minutes).
In fact the airport in Vilnius is quite near the center and you can use public transport, ticket can be bought at the bus driver but don't forget to mark it after, price - 1€ (app m.ticket, website vilniustransport.lt):
Buses 1 and 2 can take you to the bus/railway station (both of these are located near each other).
Bus number 88 can take you to 'Aušros vartai' (a first stop from airport) - a nice place to visit and it could probably be your starting point for the journey.
Most of the nice places are located in the old town of Vilnius so you can reach them easily by walk.
Starting from the 'Aušros vartai' you could then visit Town hall, "Vilniaus gynybinės sienos bastėja (The Bastion of Vilnius City Wall)" which is near Užupis. After that you could go to Užupis, find a "Constitution of Užupis republic" written down on the wall, find an angel of Užupis, then reach gothic style Saint Anne's Church, Bernardine Garden, Presidential Palace (there's a pub 'Klaipėdos Senamiestis' near the Presidential Palace where you could find delicious local made cheese sticks with a dipping sauce), Vilnius University, Cathedral, Royal palace, Gediminas castle, Money museum, walk down the Gedimino avenue through the statue of Kudirka (the author of Lithuanian anthem) and the anthem of Lithuania written behind him, walk couple of hundred meters to the right and find the Opera house. Then back to Gedimino avenue to reach Vilnius regional court and find Lithuanian Partisans' names on it which fought for Lithuania's Independence, also Lukiškių square and finally the Parliament of the Republic of Lithuania (Seimas). If you can still feel your legs climb on 'Tauro kalnas' to see a view of Vilnius.
Of course you would also find a lot of different churches, and typical short and narrow old streets on this road.
Local pubs and places to eat - depends on your preferences. There are a lot of places near Gedimino avenue - 'Užupio picerija (pizza)', 'Būsi trečias (beer with flavours of berries)', 'Klaipėdos senamiestis (drinks, cheese sticks)', 'Grill London (grilled meat or vegetables, burgers, drinks. usually they don't provide a reservation of the tables so you might find a queue outside)', 'Talutti (pancakes, desserts)', Cat cafe (just a relaxing place with some food, drinks and cats). You could also find ramen, sushi, indian, mexican, chinese, junk (hesburger, kfc, mcdonalds) food restaurants. If it's not cloudy and no fog you could visit TV Tower (located quite far from old-town) restaurant and see a full view of Vilnius.

That's what comes to my mind at the moment :)
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

Thank you very much from your advice! :D That's a really good base to our program!
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

Because the meeting will indeed be in Vilnius, I've copied this in this topic.

You can also open topics for other things ("setting the date", "where to stay" etc.) when needed.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by MDeen »

...for the Winter-EBTM 2020 ???

Return to “International EBT-meetings”