W-EBTM 2014 - Decide where. Maribor or Lisbon?

Forum to discuss all the international EBT-Meeting topics

Moderators: Crazy Bob, eddydevries, philgelico, Raumi, MDeen, Jackgaillard, Ludwigsfeld, Aatos99, lmviterbo

Where do you want the W-EBTM 2014 to be held?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:22 pm

Lisbon
45%
Maribor
45%
Any of them
10%

Total votes: 158

Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

W-EBTM 2014 - Decide where. Maribor or Lisbon?

Post by Ewri »

So, the Board has received 2 nominations of cities who would like to host the Winter EBTM of 2014 being Maribor & Lisbon.

Details of the nominations can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=55552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Members are encouraged to vote for their preferred location.

Closing date for voting will be 10th November 2013 at 18.00 CET.
Last edited by Ewri on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: W-EBTM 2014 - Decide where. Maribor or Lisbon?

Post by Crazy Bob »

Since I won't be able to join :cry: , I chose the "Any" option.
Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Elmo »

With all due respect for Maribor, but my first reaction would be Lisbon. However, I vote for Maribor, because we vote for the smaller winter meeting. Lisbon deserves a big summer meeting, and I'd love to see the summer meeting this summer in Lisbon. The smaller meeting being organized in the smaller city, and the bigger meeting being organized in the bigger city makes perfect sense to me.
Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are 'It might have been.' - Kurt Vonnegut
BaliBennie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by BaliBennie »

I share the opinion of Elmo that Lisboa is more suitable for a 'big' summer meeting. I have been to Maribor before. It is a very nice old historic city. There will be enough things to see there!
Visit my homepage to see my statistics, maps and more!

Look at my 5 years statistics

Er gaat niets boven Groningen EBT
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

I understand Elmo and BaliBennie's point of view on the subject and I am inclined to support it even if I am candidating for Lisbon. I'm sure Maribor is worth a visit and I confess I feel a little odd competing against a small and apparently lovely town.

However, I would like to remind people that Lisbon can be too hot in the summer, especially for foreigners who aren't prepared for our temperatures. It can be too packed with tourists, too. So if there were only these two options: Lisbon in the Summer or Lisbon in the Winter, I would vote for the Winter tour.
ravestorm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by ravestorm »

lmviterbo wrote:However, I would like to remind people that Lisbon can be too hot in the summer, especially for foreigners who aren't prepared for our temperatures.
Don't worry too much imho, they survived an EBTM in July in Florence with its more than 35° and almost 100% of humidity :wink:
«Io dormirò tranquillo perché so che il mio peggior nemico veglia su di me.»
  • Biondo - Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo

PLEASE, DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!

Il 19.09.2013 ho scritto: Comicerò a cambiare atteggiamento da ora in poi, quindi che il forum non si lamenti se da ora in avanti verranno prese misure drastiche.
klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by klapotec »

ravestorm wrote:
lmviterbo wrote:However, I would like to remind people that Lisbon can be too hot in the summer, especially for foreigners who aren't prepared for our temperatures.
Don't worry too much imho, they survived an EBTM in July in Florence with its more than 35° and almost 100% of humidity :wink:
from personal experience, 35° on the coast is much much better than 35° far from the sea... ;)
dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by dserrano5 »

klapotec wrote:from personal experience, 35° on the coast is much much better than 35° far from the sea... ;)
In my experience 35º far from the sea is much better than 25º (sic) on the coast. That's so subjective…
W. PaoloFaulkner
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by W. PaoloFaulkner »

I don't know if I will be there, but I chose Maribor.
L'uomo fa molto più di ciò che può o deve sopportare. E così finisce col credere di poter sopportare qualunque cosa. E questo è il terribile. Che possa sopportare qualunque cosa, qualunque cosa.

William Faulkner - "Luce d'agosto" (1932)
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

I'm also quite undecided and tend to agree with Elmo.
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

Just another note on a prospective Lisbon Summer-EBTM. Nobody knows at the moment if it's possible. I'm striving to get some local help to prepare W-EBTM if Lisbon wins. I have no idea how much easier (or harder, for the matter) it will be to gather organizers for the Summer meeting.
googlejaps
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by googlejaps »

lmviterbo wrote:Just another note on a prospective Lisbon Summer-EBTM. Nobody knows at the moment if it's possible. I'm striving to get some local help to prepare W-EBTM if Lisbon wins. I have no idea how much easier (or harder, for the matter) it will be to gather organizers for the Summer meeting.
Of course. This poll is not about "When would a meeting in these cities be planned?" It only applies to the W-EBTM2014 timeslot, and which city is chosen for W-EBTM2014 does not mean that the other one will automatically be S-EBTM2014. It might not even be a candidate for the summer.

I guess this is a special situation since normally only one city becomes a candidate for organizing an international meeting, so there's no need to choose. I'm happy that two interesting candidates applied. I already voted, but I might as well change my vote to "any of them" because I'm sure it will be a good meeting in both cases. :)
MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by MDeen »

What will the average weather be in both cities in the chosen timeframe?
LonaPo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by LonaPo »

MDeen wrote:What will the average weather be in both cities in the chosen timeframe?
I would really love to write that Maribor is warm in March, but as March is still more winter than spring the average temperatures in Maribor in last 6 years were (Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia):

2008 - 6,1°C
2009 - 6,5°C
2010 - 6,1°C
2011 - 6,5°C
2012 - 9,3°C
2013 - around 7°C (for year 2013 the average is not yet available on SI-STA )

The temperatures in Maribor are the same as in any other part of Europe (at, de, fr, be, nl, sk) that is not at the sea coast.
So if the weather will be "normal" it will be just fine. Cold (not to cold), but when the sun is shining is very nice and pleasant to be outside.
http://b100w11.sli.si/Lonapo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

MDeen wrote:What will the average weather be in both cities in the chosen timeframe?
Average minimum temperature

Code: Select all

Lisbon  12 ºC
Maribor 0-4 ºC
Average maximum temperature

Lisbon  19-20 ºC
Maribor 11-15 ºC
Average daily rainfall

Lisbon  0.2 mm
Maribor 0.1-0.3 mm
Average precipitation probability:

Lisbon  8-10%
Maribor 11-13%
Average moderate rain probability:

Lisbon  0-2%
Maribor 0%
Average light snow probability:

Lisbon  0%
Maribor 2-5%
  • Temperature and daily rainfall amount from the very reliable Weather Underground (Lisbon, Maribor).
  • Average precipitation / rain probabilities from WeatherSpark (Lisbon, Maribor)
  • More graphs on WeatherSpark (Lisbon, Maribor)

Return to “International EBT-meetings”