W-EBTM2016:Dublin (02-03/Apr/2016) - General Information

Forum to discuss all the international EBT-Meeting topics

Moderators: Crazy Bob, eddydevries, philgelico, Raumi, MDeen, Jackgaillard, Ludwigsfeld, Aatos99, lmviterbo

efeesse
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

W-EBTM2016:Dublin (02-03/Apr/2016) - General Information

Post by efeesse »

Is intended with this thread to provide information about the meeting that will be organized in :flag-ie: Dublin, in the first weekend of April of 2016.

"Dublin, capital of the Republic of Ireland, is on Ireland’s east coast at the mouth of the River Liffey. Its medieval buildings include 13th-century Dublin Castle and imposing St. Patrick’s Cathedral, founded in 1191. Temple Bar is a riverside nightlife and cultural quarter, home to the Irish Film Institute. Bustling, largely pedestrianized Grafton Street is the city’s principal shopping area, also famed for its buskers"

This first post will be updated periodically.
Ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Date
This meeting will be held in Dublin during the weekend of 02-03 of April of 2016.
The main meeting day will be Saturday. Sunday is a "free" day, and there is the possibility of a pre-meeting on Friday night in a local Irish Pub.

Getting There
Dublin is served by a two terminal airport approximately 10km north of the city center.
There are two types of express bus to Dublin:
- Aircoach bus 700 runs at every 15min between the Airport and the City Center (timetable) and the single ticket costs 7.00€ (return ticket 12.00€);
- Dublin Bus bus 747 runs at every 15min between the Airport and the City Center (timetable) and the single ticket costs 6.00€ (return ticket 10.00€);

Program
Friday
- 19:00: For the EBTers already in Dublin or that will arrive during the day, we can meet all together in a pub (thinking about The Porterhouse in Temple Bar area);

Saturday
- 09:30: Meeting point in the O'Connell Monument;
- 10:00: City walk with visit to Dublin main attractions (including Trinity College, Dublin Castle, Christ Church Cathedral, St. Patrick's Cathedral)(optional visit\entry), and shop street with plenty of opportunities to exchange and withdraw money in the several ATMs in the area;
- 12:30: Lunch time (free time);
- 14:00: Guinness Experience and\or Old Jameson Distillery (optional visit\entry);
- 19:45: Dinner at 101 Talbot (suggested Menu) (please send me a PM for any question).

Info about dothunting
- Easy to get 2 dots in the city (1 in the airport, and 1 in the Dublin city center, for example);
- 2 additional dots (1 North, 1 South) can be "hunted" using public transport to reach, for example, Dalkey and\or Sutton/Howth, about 30min far away;

Post codes in Ireland
XXX XXXX - 3 digits + 4 digits type

To validate the address and post code, eircode website can assist you. Just put the address you want to validate, and the website will give you the correct post code.
Please refer to this topic (a discussion in the English forum).
Also, a very nice job made by Burdie: maps and codes.
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: W-EBTM2016:Dublin (02-03/Apr/2016) - General Information

Post by Aatos99 »

If there are still many people spending the Sunday in Dublin, it would be nice to see each other and eat, for example some kind of dinner or just go somewhere. On the other hand, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some dothunting in group on Sunday. 8)
Ei sitä koskaan tiedä_Aatos99
Euro~Bräu
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by Euro~Bräu »

Hello everybody,
I have a request, could you call a central collection point in Dublin. This would make the choice of the hotel easier.

Thanks and greetings
Grüße an alle
efeesse
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by efeesse »

Aatos99 wrote:to have some dothunting in group on Sunday
Like people did in the Barcelona meeting, where on Sunday some went to Andorra. For sure some of us will be there on Sunday, and during the meeting some program can be organized for Sunday ;)
Euro~Bräu wrote:central collection point in Dublin. This would make the choice of the hotel easier.
If I understood well the suggestion, the Saturday program (and Friday night pre-meeting) will occur mainly in the River Liffey south bank.
I'm still "working" in the meeting point, but I'm thinking to do it in the O'Connell Monument, where there is an Exchange office and a Ulster Bank ATM machine in the corner, where we can "spend" some time while waiting for the group to be all together.
And the dinner (= end of the day) around Temple Bar area.
MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by MDeen »

What is the Central Bank of Ireland's position on pre-Europa notes? Are they actively being withdrawn and destroyed or will those notes still circulate for a while?
Fjon
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Fjon »

I am seeing less and less pre-europa notes, so I think they must be destroying them. I don't know what their official stance is on this though.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

Fjon wrote:I am seeing less and less pre-europa notes, so I think they must be destroying them. I don't know what their official stance is on this though.
Obviously you shouldn't give your old notes to the central bank, but changing seems to possible in other banks. Btw, how are the cash machines working, is it possible to change money or just take it from your account? And are there fees when using a cash machine?
Ei sitä koskaan tiedä_Aatos99
efeesse
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by efeesse »

After a few "we don't accept reservations on Saturday night" and "we are already full" replies,
101 Talbot accepted the reservation for our group dinner on Saturday 02/Apr at 19h45 (it's about 500m far away from the O'Connell Monument).
Based in the actual headcounts, I made a reservation for 30 people (at least for now).
I hope the suggested menu pleases everyone :)
Lasterpaule
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Lasterpaule »

efeesse wrote: I hope the suggested menu pleases everyone :)
again almost only fish ... :( ....... :twisted:
Gruß Paul (Lasterpaule)
:note-5: :note-10: :note-20: :note-50: :note-100: :note-200: :note-500: <--- klick

Statistiken

„Wer die Freiheit aufgibt um Sicherheit zu gewinnen, der wird am Ende beides verlieren.“
Benjamin Franklin
Annie_in_exile
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Annie_in_exile »

Excuse me, but...what? "Almost only fish"?

Maybe I misunderstand you, but you cannot seriously claim that there's too much fish on the menu and not enough of other options. 8O

I mean that if we're going to have the 3-course set menu, there are six options for starters, and none of them contains fish at all (crayfish are crustaceans and they are served with sausage, not fish; then the other options are pork-vegetarian-lamb-vege-chicken). Again, six options for the main course: chicken, venison, pork, beef - and finally, two options containing fish: seatrout and tuna. I wouldn't say that two out of twelve is excessive at all.

Besides, we're all adults and now that we know what's on the menu, it's easy to take that into account and maybe have a more substantial lunch to compensate if it seems that the dinner won't satisfy one's hunger.
maarsy
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by maarsy »

MDeen wrote:What is the Central Bank of Ireland's position on pre-Europa notes? Are they actively being withdrawn and destroyed or will those notes still circulate for a while?

I have been in a few banks in Ireland now , the last time when they hand out fivers they took out the old serie and held them back ( only got some when they did not have many :note-5: left in there cashbox )
eurostyle
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by eurostyle »

I like "bœuf bourguignon" ... made in France :)
Is it an Irish speciality too ? :roll:

It was a joke :lol: :lol: :lol:
Of course ! :wink:
Avec le temps et la patience, la feuille de mûrier devient de la soie (proverbe chinois)
Lasterpaule
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Lasterpaule »

Hi Annie,
you can interpret smiley? That was actually meant ironically... :wink:
... Because I'm not the big fish eaters :|
I hope, that i in Dublin one of the first Belgian Lady from EuroBillTracker personally get to know. :)
Gruß Paul (Lasterpaule)
:note-5: :note-10: :note-20: :note-50: :note-100: :note-200: :note-500: <--- klick

Statistiken

„Wer die Freiheit aufgibt um Sicherheit zu gewinnen, der wird am Ende beides verlieren.“
Benjamin Franklin
GNUGNU
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GNUGNU »

efeesse wrote: I hope the suggested menu pleases everyone :)
Gnam gnam! 8)
"sö questa vita che vìvum de sfroos,
sö questa vita che sògnum de sfroos,
in questa nòcc che prègum de sfroos."
My statistics - 30.000 notes
Burdie
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Burdie »

People who are planning to travel with Luas, They are now on strike and I have heard that they have also plannes to strike the next weekend. I keep you in touch if I know more
Personal statistics from: NIGMM / EBTST / EBTcheck 250 Hits with 2 triple :flag-ie: 3 :flag-eu: 410
list of (known by me) latest "codes_country.txt" files Blog

Return to “International EBT-meetings”