W-EBTM Murcia 2018 General Information

Forum to discuss all the international EBT-Meeting topics

Moderators: Crazy Bob, eddydevries, philgelico, Raumi, MDeen, Jackgaillard, Ludwigsfeld, Aatos99, lmviterbo

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: W-EBTM Murcia 2018 General Information

Post by avij »

Question regarding the Spanish ATMs: Some ATMs in certain countries let you withdraw a large number of fivers, and some ATMs in some other countries only have 20e and 50e notes and no possibility to select the denominations. How is it here in Spain? Case in point, I would need to withdraw some 340e (or thereabouts) to pay for my hotel bill and other expenses. Which bank's ATM should I choose, or are there any differences among those regarding available denominations? Obviously I would prefer to receive as many notes as possible.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
Raumi
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Raumi »

ATMs in Spain do not give fivers. And hardly ever let you choose between :note-20: and :note-50:.
BBVA ATM let you choose "smaller denomination" but it really means 5 x :note-20: and the rest in :note-50:.
Spanish representative on the Board of Directors.
Current vice president of the Association Européenne des EuroBillTrackers
My statistics.
Raumi
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Raumi »

I've booked our arroz con conejo for Sunday lunch in a restaurant near the Santuario de la Fuensanta. On our way, we will be able to colect some notes from El Palmar or La Alberca, since they are in a different dot that Murcia.
My statistics.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

OK, so in this case I'd need to make a few withdrawals, 5x20e each. Thanks, I'll try this.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
Raumi
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Raumi »

Since we are just seven people, our guide tour for tomorrow would cost us 13 €/person instead of seven. Are you OK with that?
My statistics.
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

lmviterbo wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:54 pm
Raumi wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:43 pmObrigado, lmviterbo!
De nada, por supuesto. :) No hice nada, que ya estaba todo hecho. 8)
And yes, it worked:
Example: One of these notes
Dot_Villajoyosa_ingevuld.JPG
Dot_Villajoyosa_ingevuld.JPG (61.99 KiB) Viewed 3949 times
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

Raumi wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:08 pm ATMs in Spain do not give fivers. And hardly ever let you choose between :note-20: and :note-50:.
BBVA ATM let you choose "smaller denomination" but it really means 5 x :note-20: and the rest in :note-50:.
I've got some :note-10: out of the ATM.
At Banco Sabadell (but they charge for withdrawing: to get €60 I had to pay €1,80 extra) and at Caixa.
But maybe that's because I asked for small amount (€40, €50, €60 or €80). Once I asked for €50, I got :note-20: :note-20: :note-10: . But asking €40 I get :note-20: :note-20: , so I think you only can get 1 :note-10: at a time.
I don't know anymore at which bank it was (or maybe it's at more banks), but the ATM asked me if I would do another withdraw after finishing this one. So (if you want) you can have more smaller notes by multiple withdrawing.

What I didn't expect was "€60 in small bills" doesn't mean 3x :note-20:, but :note-10: :note-50:. So you get ONE small bill, the rest can be large bills.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL

roberdy
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by roberdy »

avij wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:24 pm Question regarding the Spanish ATMs: Some ATMs in certain countries let you withdraw a large number of fivers, and some ATMs in some other countries only have 20e and 50e notes and no possibility to select the denominations. How is it here in Spain? Case in point, I would need to withdraw some 340e (or thereabouts) to pay for my hotel bill and other expenses. Which bank's ATM should I choose, or are there any differences among those regarding available denominations? Obviously I would prefer to receive as many notes as possible.
On my trip to Canary Islands last month, I determined that Cajamar ATM's let you choose denominations between :note-10: :note-20: :note-50: . Most machines were giving 40x :note-10: , one machine gave 50x :note-10: :D

First you had to choose "other amount" or something similar, and then there was another button to choose your requested notes with +/- -buttons.
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

Raumi wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:51 pm Let's talk a little bit about about EBT-ing in Murcia.

The city itself isn't pretty big, but it has a ridiculous number (54!!) of pedanías. That is, somekind of districts with its own little mayor, its local fests, and its own city profile on EBT. Wonderfull, isn't it?

Unfortunatelly, ours is not a perfect World -and has never been- so, some of our pedanías are clearly separated from the city itself, but some others are not.

Well, it gets a little bit more complicated when talking about postal codes. Sometimes, several pedanías share a single postal code. That's great. Sometimes, there are two postal codes withing a single pedanía. Fine. But most of the time, both things come true, leading to several shared post codes applying to a single pedanía.

But please, do not panic! I repeat, do not panic. Only a few of these pedanías are stuck to the city. On the other hand, Google maps will always give you the right postcode. And, in case you need it, here is a usefull web tool to identify if your notes are from Murcia, Santiago y Zaraíche, El Puntal or Puente Tocinos.
Indeed, the boundaries of the postcodes are "a bit" strange.
Because I didn't use anything at the hotel which wasn't already paid for, I thought to get the postcode 30006 by visiting the supermarket, located in the same building.
But when trying to enter the notes, it shows the postcode of the supermarket is different from the hotel (it's 30007 which we already got on Friday near D'Lola).
So I didn't get postcode 30006, allthough I stayed there most time.......
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL

lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

Sorry for the bad luck. :(

Anyway, if the limits of postal code zones 30006 and 30007 are correct on Google Maps (and they usually are, at least in Portuguese towns and other places I've visited abroad), then Hotel Agalia is indeed on 30007, just like the Mercadona supermarket.
Hotel Agalia outside 30006 area.png
Hotel Agalia outside 30006 area.png (53.46 KiB) Viewed 3779 times

30006 Murcia, Spain on Google Maps
30007 Murcia, Spain on Google Maps
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

lmviterbo wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:05 pm Sorry for the bad luck. :(

Anyway, if the limits of postal code zones 30006 and 30007 are correct on Google Maps (and they usually are, at least in Portuguese towns and other places I've visited abroad), then Hotel Agalia is indeed on 30007, just like the Mercadona supermarket.

Hotel Agalia outside 30006 area.png

30006 Murcia, Spain on Google Maps
30007 Murcia, Spain on Google Maps
According to the hotel itself it's in 30006......
(I would think, they know best)
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL

lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

eddydevries wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:26 pmAccording to the hotel itself it's in 30006......
(I would think, they know best)
That, indeed, should be the case in any civilized country. Unfortunately, too often that is not the case. Street name and postal code areas change more often than the websites or stationery of companies. Too many company owners don't care about correct postal codes or even addresses since mail services and webmap services are often too good and can find them anyway. This is my experience in Portugal but I guess it can be extended to other countries.

The official postal code search is at this Correos page. The official road name can be found at sitmurcia.

Google Maps calls the street where Hotel Agalia's entrance is "Avenida Arquitecto Miguel Ángel Beloqui". This name does not yield any results if searched on the Correos postal code page. On the sitmurcia map, the street is called "Carretera de Alicante a Murcia". I can't find a "carretera" de Alicante on Correos, but there's an "Avenida de Alicante" (postal code 30007 for the entire street).

Now for Mercadona: it is, according to all sources, on Camino (de) Nelva. On the postal code search, the name Nelva is found five times in Murcia, but not this Camino…

The official sources are, therefore, not that useful in this case.

In my experience, not only in Portugal but everywhere I compared Google Maps with official sources, Google Maps has very accurate postal code areas, although the specific postal codes for companies are very often wrong. I assume they have better official sources for postal code areas but, for the company addresses and postal codes, they rely on the information published by the companies (which, again, should be correct but often isn't).

So, as I said in my previous message, for this particular case, I believe Google Maps postal code areas are right as usual and both Hotel Agalia and Mercadona lie on 30007.

It's also worth noticing that being on the same building doesn't mean sharing the same postal code. Hotel Agalia's entrance and Mercadona's entrance are not on the same street. In fact, in this particular case they share the same postal code: 30007.
sirmiguelator
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by sirmiguelator »

Hi ebt members:

i can't went to ebt meeting in murcia but we meeting with a small meeting whith burdie.
Attachments
Bert y Yo.jpg
Bert y Yo.jpg (144.65 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
Raumi
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Raumi »

eddydevries wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:55 pm
Indeed, the boundaries of the postcodes are "a bit" strange.
Wow, that's a particulary tricky case! The hotel/supermarket bulding is crossed by the boundary between two postcodes! I've never realized that possibility could ever happen here in my own city! 8O

Since Mercadona's entrance is located in Calle Nelva, I would say its postcode would be 30.006. In the other hand, Agalia Hotel's main door lies in Arquitecto Miguel Ángel Belongui Avenue, which corresponds to Murcia 30.007. As I said, it's a tricky question, so many interpretations might be equally valid.
My statistics.

Return to “International EBT-meetings”