S-EBTM Vilnius 2018 General Information, 7th to 9th of September

Forum to discuss all the international EBT-Meeting topics

Moderators: Crazy Bob, eddydevries, philgelico, Raumi, MDeen, Jackgaillard, Ludwigsfeld, Aatos99, lmviterbo

eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

S-EBTM Vilnius 2018 General Information, 7th to 9th of September

Post by eddydevries »

Welcome to S-EBTM18 in Vilnius! :)

Schedule:

FRIDAY 7th of September:

Around 8pm pre-meeting in restaurant Medininkai, Aušros Vartų g. 8

SATURDAY 8th of September:

Starting between 8.00 and 8.30 am : Visit to the numismatic club with siriusLT, inform me or siriusLT if you are joining

11.00 am : Sigthseeing, maybe lunch during it.

Program:

Starts at 11.00 am from Tauro Kalnas. We'll meet on the main entrance traps of the big white building, Vilniaus Profesinių sąjungų kultūros rūmų. The address is V. Mykolaičio-Putino g. 5.

Then we'll leave to Regional Court of Vilnius, Lukiškės Square and the Parliament of the Republic of Lithuania, Seimas. After that we'll go by the river to Vilniaus Šv. arkangelo Rapolo bažnyčia. There we'll also see what remains of Raduškevičius Palace.

Then we'll visit Lietuvos Nacionalinis Muziejus (optional, tickets 3€) and look the views at Gediminas castle "mountain".

Next stop is Pinigų muziejus, the money museum (free entrance).

After that we'll head to Užupis. We'll see the text "Constitution of Užupis republic" written on the wall, an angel of Užupis, gothic style Saint Anne's Church, Bernardine Garden and Presidential Palace, Vilnius University, Cathedral and the Royal palace. (Tip from siriusLT: "There's a pub 'Klaipėdos Senamiestis' near the Presidential Palace where you could find delicious local made cheese sticks with a dipping sauce").

Then we'll visit "Vilniaus gynybinės sienos bastėja" (The Bastion of Vilnius City Wall) and head to the Town Hall and Aušros vartai.

After that we'll go to the restaurant Lokys, Stikliu g. 8/10.

You can join or leave at any time, and it might be also good idea to eat lunch during that sightseeing walk.

At 5.00 pm : we'll meet in restaurant Lokys, Stikliu street 8/10.

SUNDAY 9th of September:

At 11.00 am: for those who are still around, we'll meet at Aušros Vartai, from where we'll look for a place for lunch.

More sightseeing or maybe dot-hunting to those who can still attend.

Those who know that they will be in Vilnius already on Friday and are willing to eat something, please inform me about that, so I'll know if we need to reserve a table also for that day.

Welcome! :)
Last edited by eddydevries on Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Meeting is already over.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: S-EBTM Vilnius 2018 General Information

Post by eddydevries »

siriusLT wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:58 pm It's nice to hear that you have chosen Vilnius when we're celebrating 100th anniversary of Lithuania's state! :flag-lt: :) 8)
First advice - don't take the local taxi from the airport if you don't want to overpay for your trip. You can use an app e-taksi or just find some taxi company and call them (the waiting time will be up to ~5 minutes).
In fact the airport in Vilnius is quite near the center and you can use public transport, ticket can be bought at the bus driver but don't forget to mark it after, price - 1€ (app m.ticket, website vilniustransport.lt):
Buses 1 and 2 can take you to the bus/railway station (both of these are located near each other).
Bus number 88 can take you to 'Aušros vartai' (a first stop from airport) - a nice place to visit and it could probably be your starting point for the journey.
Most of the nice places are located in the old town of Vilnius so you can reach them easily by walk.
Starting from the 'Aušros vartai' you could then visit Town hall, "Vilniaus gynybinės sienos bastėja (The Bastion of Vilnius City Wall)" which is near Užupis. After that you could go to Užupis, find a "Constitution of Užupis republic" written down on the wall, find an angel of Užupis, then reach gothic style Saint Anne's Church, Bernardine Garden, Presidential Palace (there's a pub 'Klaipėdos Senamiestis' near the Presidential Palace where you could find delicious local made cheese sticks with a dipping sauce), Vilnius University, Cathedral, Royal palace, Gediminas castle, Money museum, walk down the Gedimino avenue through the statue of Kudirka (the author of Lithuanian anthem) and the anthem of Lithuania written behind him, walk couple of hundred meters to the right and find the Opera house. Then back to Gedimino avenue to reach Vilnius regional court and find Lithuanian Partisans' names on it which fought for Lithuania's Independence, also Lukiškių square and finally the Parliament of the Republic of Lithuania (Seimas). If you can still feel your legs climb on 'Tauro kalnas' to see a view of Vilnius.
Of course you would also find a lot of different churches, and typical short and narrow old streets on this road.
Local pubs and places to eat - depends on your preferences. There are a lot of places near Gedimino avenue - 'Užupio picerija (pizza)', 'Būsi trečias (beer with flavours of berries)', 'Klaipėdos senamiestis (drinks, cheese sticks)', 'Grill London (grilled meat or vegetables, burgers, drinks. usually they don't provide a reservation of the tables so you might find a queue outside)', 'Talutti (pancakes, desserts)', Cat cafe (just a relaxing place with some food, drinks and cats). You could also find ramen, sushi, indian, mexican, chinese, junk (hesburger, kfc, mcdonalds) food restaurants. If it's not cloudy and no fog you could visit TV Tower (located quite far from old-town) restaurant and see a full view of Vilnius.

That's what comes to my mind at the moment :)
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

Would September 7th to 9th be a good time?
Ei sitä koskaan tiedä_Aatos99
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

Aatos99 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:59 pm Would September 7th to 9th be a good time?
This will be the date of the meeting.
MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by MDeen »

I only see this now. Would a poll for the date not be a better idea?
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Aatos99 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 3:10 pm
Aatos99 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:59 pm Would September 7th to 9th be a good time?
This will be the date of the meeting.
This sounds fine. Thanks!
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

MDeen wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 3:26 pm I only see this now. Would a poll for the date not be a better idea?
I thought also that, but later September isn't so good time for me to organize this, and it might already be worse by the weather.
MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by MDeen »

Aatos99 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:51 am
MDeen wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 3:26 pm I only see this now. Would a poll for the date not be a better idea?
I thought also that, but later September isn't so good time for me to organize this, and it might already be worse by the weather.
I does not have to be later in September.
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

MDeen wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:07 pm
Aatos99 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:51 am
I does not have to be later in September.
So, you mean the weekend 31st of August to 2nd of September? Because of the earlier comments, I thought that September would be good for many people. 31st of August to 2nd of September might be thus too early, so I decided the next weekend of that.
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: S-EBTM Vilnius 2018 General Information, 7th to 9th of September

Post by Crazy Bob »

Flights booked, time for a "who will come" topic!
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

Crazy Bob wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:26 pm Flights booked, time for a "who will come" topic!
Yes, nice to see you there! :D I'll open it!
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

I won't probably be able to go but I'd love to. One of the places to visit, for me (and I guess for EBTors in general), is one of the very few money museums in Europe:

Pinigų MuziejusMoney Museum of the Bank of Lithuania — Vilnius (01121) — Totorių g. 2/8 @ 54.68649, 25.28251

VilniusMM3M€.png
VilniusMM3M€.png (497.23 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
siriusLT
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by siriusLT »

Few more points:

You should visit the museum of Genocide victims (http://genocid.lt/muziejus/en/245/c/)

Also numismatic club on Saturday 8:00 - 12:00 near hotel "Karolina", address: Sausio 13 - osios g. 2 (entrance is free of charge) :
numismatics.JPG
numismatics.JPG (46.43 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
And of course you should visit Trakai. You can reach it by train (https://www.traukiniobilietas.lt/portal/en). Tickets can be bought on internet, on the train station or on the train (they will charge you an additional fee of 1.45€ for buying the ticket on the train)

Will think about more places worth to visit in here :)
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

siriusLT wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:32 am Few more points:

You should visit the museum of Genocide victims (http://genocid.lt/muziejus/en/245/c/)

Also numismatic club on Saturday 8:00 - 12:00 near hotel "Karolina", address: Sausio 13 - osios g. 2 (entrance is free of charge) :
numismatics.JPG

And of course you should visit Trakai. You can reach it by train (https://www.traukiniobilietas.lt/portal/en). Tickets can be bought on internet, on the train station or on the train (they will charge you an additional fee of 1.45€ for buying the ticket on the train)

Will think about more places worth to visit in here :)
Thanks! :)
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

I have now asked for a reservation from restaurant Lokys, Stikliu str. 8/10 for Saturday. Let's see if they can take us.

How many of you would like to eat something also on Friday? I'm just thinking should we reserve some place also for Friday.

Return to “International EBT-meetings”