EBT-IVM Summer 2020 (TELECONFERENCE) 29. - 30. August 2020 - Feedback

Forum to discuss all the international EBT-Meeting topics

Moderators: Crazy Bob, eddydevries, philgelico, Raumi, MDeen, Jackgaillard, Ludwigsfeld, Aatos99, lmviterbo

lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

EBT-IVM Summer 2020 (TELECONFERENCE) 29. - 30. August 2020 - Feedback

Post by lmviterbo »

This topic was created to be the equivalent to the LIVE topic usually set up for every live-on-site-in-person-face-to-face-physical meeting.

All feedback will be greatly appreciated. Since this was the first IVM (International Virtual Meeting), future organizers can learn from our mistakes and improve everything that can be bettered.

For the sake of future EBT-IVMs (EuroBillTracker International Virtual Meetings), here are some lessons that may be taken from the first one:
  1. There are many interesting subjects that weren't even approached here, so I believe there's place to an IVM per year.
  2. The general categories of subjects approached are fertile and can be revisited:
    a. external tools to register notes
    b. external tools to create stats and maps
    c. games using stats and maps
    d. A2E and Working Groups: what they are and do, who are the volunteers and contributors (this wasn't talked about on this edition but should be in future editions)
    e. social media, merchandising and exposure
    f. notaphily and serial number analysis
    g. story time
    h. video show of banknote production or other related subjects (a good filler or ending).
  3. Having the meeting in two days, at different times of the day, was probably a good decision.
  4. A total of 6 hours for the two days was well thought, or maybe a little too long, taking into account the amount of talks. With more personal stories programmed, it could have been perfect.
  5. The choice of Google Meet as teleconference platform was good (good sound and decent image, easy joining on the Web with no need o install any software, system-agnostic, real-time closed captioning based on speech recognition, easy screen-sharing to present anything a speaker wants, no obligation for the attendees to open their own image or sound, up to 100 participants, no time limit a the time).
  6. For those who want to attend but can't, be it due to a schedule inconvenience or to not wanting to create a Google account, IVMs should be streamed on YouTube, and this video should be let available afterwards (private, or at least unlisted), with a link provided for EBT forumers (this wasn't done; in the future, this means announcing it, as attendees must agree on it beforehand, a least implicitly)-
  7. Speakers should be a mix of invited speakers (the only kind we had on the first edition) and talk applicants. This means launching a call for speakers beforehand (2 months as a minimum), and may be particularly important to gather speakers for the story time, with their own stories related to EBT.
  8. Coordinating the program time slots should be done in sufficient advance: the keynote speakers must be established and scheduled at least 1 month in advance.
  9. The self-presentation script I had created was not used at all. I realized that a simple non-scripted self-presentation of attendees is enough.

A couple of loose comments more:
  • Free Google Meet has, since September 2020, a 60-minute time limit.
  • After the first edition, I was informed that there's yet another app to register notes, the f-droid app "EBT New Note". I couldn't find much about it, and I don't know who its author marv42 is on EBT.
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: EBT-IVM Summer 2020 (TELECONFERENCE) 29. - 30. August 2020 - Feedback

Post by lmviterbo »

Saturday report (WIP):

15 EBTors from 12 different countries (or 13, depending on how you count) joined the meeting:

:flag-cz: / :flag-fr: aloxe
:flag-fi: avij
:flag-uk: / :flag-ie: Bullmeister / bullock99 / Carmody
:flag-nl: eddydevries
:flag-de: helshg
:flag-be: LArdennais
:flag-pt: lmviterbo (me)
:flag-de: Ludwigsfeld
:flag-gr: magneto
:flag-pt: Nuno Carvalho
:flag-fr: philgelico
:flag-it: pietropole
:flag-it: sen-chuan
:flag-lt: siriusLT
:flag-nl: wilg

tralla tried to join but couldn't. He doesn't have a Google account and nobody was able to help, unfortunately. Now that I've studied the problem, I realized that in fact, unless the Google Meet is set up by someone with a GSuite account (which is not my case), participants will be required a Google account. Anyway, anyone may set up an account just for the meeting, as I explain in the Information and program topic's first post.

The program was fluid. We had:
A talk about the WhatsApp group (by Bullmeister / bullock99 / Carmody)
A talk about Spreadshirt (by sen-chuan)
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

Sunday report (WIP):

16 EBTors (7 new + 9 who were here yesterday) from 12 different countries (or 13, depending on how you count) joined the meeting:

:flag-cz: / :flag-fr: / :flag-lu: aloxe
:flag-fi: avij
:flag-uk: / :flag-ie: Bullmeister
:flag-ie: / :flag-nl: Burdie
:flag-pt: Castanhola
:flag-nl: eddydevries
:flag-de: helshg
:flag-es: JordiJan
:flag-pt: lmviterbo
:flag-de: marty44
:flag-fr: namastebaba
:flag-fr: philgelico
:flag-it: sen-chuan
:flag-lt: siriusLT
:flag-at: spasiba
:flag-de: / :flag-fr: trezay

What we've done:

14:30 lmviterbo intro
14:40 aloxe games / stats - France commune map
15:10 trezay games - Dotmap density
15:30 quiz
16:00 marty44 stats software - EBTCheck
16:25 story time (with great stories by marty44, JordiJan, and lmviterbo)
16:45 spasiba tools - Android EuroBillTracker
aloxe
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by aloxe »

14:30 lmviterbo intro
14:40 aloxe games / stats - France commune map
15:10 trezay games - Dotmap density
15:30 quiz
16:00 marty44 stats software - EBTCheck
16:25 story time (with great stories by marty44, JordiJan, and lmviterbo)
16:45 spasiba tools - Android EuroBillTracker

Great thanks to lmviterbo for launching the idea and making it possible all along. I don't expect many hits from this meeting but maybe more encoding with the great tools I discovered.
a̳l̳o̳x̳e̳ • my other statsmy map of France
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

With the help of the quiz maker tool (Typeform), I've created a report with a summary of all the answers to the Euro Trivia Quiz launched during the meeting, and I'll be glad to send it to the participants who did it.

To all who participated in the quiz: check your private messages.

(I will also create a new topic under the Europe-Board so that anyone can take the quiz anytime.)
aloxe
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by aloxe »

This is probably the incident I faced while demoing my tool : (Yet another one) CenturyLink BGP incident and the blinking Internet. Happy this didn't affect Google and the meeting software we used.
a̳l̳o̳x̳e̳ • my other statsmy map of France
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

Feedback about the quiz:

Eddydevries has spotted a mistake in the scoring of question 8 (page 9 on the pdf), the one about probabilities. The answer is correct, but the smiley was on the wrong answer, giving everyone the wrong score on this question.

So here is the final ranking (scores out of the maximum possible, 41):

🏆26 helshg (2nd attempt)
0222 siriusLT
0319 avij
019 eddydevries (2nd attempt)
019 Nuno Carvalho
0616 sen-chuan
0715 aloxe
0814 Bullmeister
014 Burdie
014 LArdennais
1113 trezay
1212 spasiba
1310 JordiJanTaxi (1st attempt)
1409 magneto
09 marty44
1605 philgelico
____ __________
24 helshg (1st attempt)
12 eddydevries (3rd attempt)
10 eddydevries (1st attempt)
06 JordiJanTaxi (2nd attempt)

Please do not discuss the quiz in public. I still plan to publish it for everyone.
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

I've collected a list of guidelines for future IVMs. You may read it on this topic's top post.

Please feel free to comment and add any feedback you might deem appropriate.

Thanks to everyone who participated in what I hope will be just the first edition of a long streak of EBT-IVMs! Special hanks to everyone who provided feedback of any kind.

Return to “International EBT-meetings”