EBTM07: Chitchat

Forum to discuss all the international EBT-Meeting topics

Moderators: Crazy Bob, eddydevries, philgelico, Raumi, MDeen, Jackgaillard, Ludwigsfeld, Aatos99, lmviterbo

Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

wisi wrote:
Dakkus wrote:What, precisely, is so crazy in that?
The only crazy thing I can see is the amount of "kein Pfand!" signs in the shops, just as it would be somehow /good/ that the bottles can't be recycled...
Wrong about that is that the "Einweg" (one-way) bottles are used with a pledge, but thet are never ever reused!
So, even if you recycle them, they will only be thrown to the same garbage yard all the other garbage goes, too?
I wonder why the nature-friendly Germans don't riot about having non-recyclable bottles in the first place.

Then again, that's what'll soon be the situation here in Finland, too...
Because of some EU regulation, the Finnish bottle recycling must be taken down.
In a way I understand that, because the Finnish bottle recycling system is very corrupted (it's owned by two big private Finnish companies), but I find it a bit stupid that we're now reverting to PET bottles from the washable bottles..
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
wisi
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by wisi »

Dakkus wrote:So, even if you recycle them, they will only be thrown to the same garbage yard all the other garbage goes, too?
I wonder why the nature-friendly Germans don't riot about having non-recyclable bottles in the first place.
That won't be the case either, as rubbish gets seperated in germany and plastic gets "recycled" in most cases anyway... or is just burned to gain electric power or heat instead of burning oil...
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

wisi wrote:...instead of burning oil...
And then, if we think what plastic is made of.. Dum-dee-dam :)
helloggs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by helloggs »

The two main purposes were to keep people from trashing the cans and plastic bottles somewhere in the landscape and to collect PET bottles seperated from the rest of the plastic garbage. Unlike other plastic material they can be easily recycled (usually they're sent to China where they make those fleece sweatshirts out of the shredded bottles) I find the 25ct sometimes annoying too, but I have to admit that they actually reached both goals.
BTW, this deposit on one-way bottles is not really so uncommon as many Germans think, the situation in Croatia is about even worse, just the amount is much less than 25ct. I even recall that I bought the one or the other can in Finland that had a deposit on it. :wink:

To write something on topic: Cake, I have not made it yet to a telecom shop, but you are not forgotten. :)
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

They have a deposit system at least in Estonia, Sweden, Norway and IIRC Denmark. And in Finland there are almost no bottles at all outside the deposit system. In southern Europe it's of course different, because they are still lagging behind when it comes to nature friendliness.
Cake
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by Cake »

helloggs wrote:To write something on topic: Cake, I have not made it yet to a telecom shop, but you are not forgotten. :)
:-):-):-):-)
No worries!
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

Dakkus wrote:They have a deposit system at least in Estonia, Sweden, Norway and IIRC Denmark. And in Finland there are almost no bottles at all outside the deposit system. In southern Europe it's of course different, because they are still lagging behind when it comes to nature friendliness.
This statement is not correct.

It is a very nordic point of view of considering southern countries as dirty, nature unfriendly, and when it comes to elections, obviously southern countries are cheaters !

These are very dangerous cliché's that I am unhappy to read too often on the EBT-forum.

:twisted:

Your statement is not correct because the non-existence of the deposit system in Southern Europe responses to another issue : the deposit system is seen as a hinder to free trade of goods. (when you buy a bottle of water in Germany and you drink it in Belgium, you can not get reimburse, unless you go back to Germany...).

Theremore, the traffic generated by the bottle collection can be ecologicaly speaking a real nightmare.

So the discussions at EU level on this specific point have never reached an agreement.

Mostly because the issues about waste management have been left over to national authorities. The EU has only been fixing objectives regarding a level of recycling to bereached and no the method to reach these objectives.

I can give you a lot of other examples where Nordic countries are not very regarding to there environment.

For example the Finnish company Vapo Oy produces energy whilst burning peat and other constituents. Peat originates from peatlands which are very sensible areas regarding biodiversity, ecology and water reserve.

This same Finnish company provides also energy in Sweden where the access to energy peat is more limited, because swedish people want to better the protection of their own peatlands... But, they have absolutely no problem in importing their energy peat from Belarus which is the last didactorship in Europe and where peatlands are used without any consideration to environmental protection.

I'll take another example for the use and reuse of waste products : the use of sludges and composts of sludges in agirculture, which has proven to be safe for the 4 past decades is always an issue in "clean, nordic" countries. I have personnaly succeeded to get some improvements and changes at Eu regulations on this point, opening the door to other treatments in Germany, that up to now were limited to stocking these sludges in waste deposists (un contradiction to the EU regulation on waste treatments) or by the incineration. It is not unnecessary to mention that the incineration of sludges conumes a lot of energy (burning water costs !) and generates dioxines taht are cancerogenic to mammifers (including humans)

This long reply to explain that Southern Europe is not "always" lagging behind regarding nature protection.

And that, e.g. France is the industrial country that emits the least CO2, thanks to its nuclear power production :wink:

Please don't state that I am off-topic, I simply ansered to a very unpleasant remark.

And if you wonder, yes, I am a lobbyist and I am proud to be ! :wink:
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

Well, burning peat is indeed stupid. Not only is it unecological, but it is also a fossil fuel. (Peat takes centuries to form, which mean it can't be considered renewable. If it is renewable, then even oil is, for frogs sake!)
In Finland it is often seen that peat is good because it is "renewable".

However, I have been to Paris. That's a huge city. And I saw NO recycling AT ALL, no matter how I tried to search. All the biological waste went together with all the other garbage. That is groase.
And, for what I know, Paris is in France.

Then.. I see no reason not to form a unified deposit bottle system. They already have unified beer bottles in Germany, Poland, Czech, Slovakia and Hungary. I bought a bottle of lemonade from Berlin and now the bottle is circulating in Finland, being washed maybe four times a month. It's precisely the same model into which they bottle Sprite in Finland, so it's clear that having a bottle similar to a Finnish one has not been a problem for the Germans. What would be so hard in making a washable bottle standard that would work in every EU member state?
Finland's had a marvellous system. Now it's being brought down precisely because of the problems with free market.
Why is it OK bringing down parts of recycling in the name of freeing markets but not OK bringing a recycling system proven to work well to work everywhere?
I don't think any people in EU would be stubborn enough to say "we don't care about some frigging nature! We want to use the old stupid PET bottles forever!"
wisi
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by wisi »

Well, I just found this page where you might control a webcam which is located on a house at the Alexanderplatz which will be part of the saturday programm. Maybe you will like it :)
Cake
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by Cake »

Great, Wisi, thanks!
It looks like it's raining in Berlin now!
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: EBTM07: Chitchat

Post by Crazy Bob »

Crazy Bob wrote:
Mr Euro wrote:* Would you like to include EBTM07 in a longer stay in that country?
I'm currently booking accomodations for my trip to Germany. I'll start on the first Friday of the meeting by driving from my home city Rotterdam to Berlin, hopefully in time for the BBQ :)

Then on Monday, I'll drive to the lovely island of Rügen (at least, I assume it's a lovely island :P), and hope to stay there for a couple of days. Then I'm planning to go to another German island, Sylt, before finally returning home on Saturday the 25th.
I've just finalised the bookings: Berlin - Rügen - Helgoland - home. Should give me a couple of nice dots along the way 8)
magpie
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by magpie »

Is there someone travelling by car to the meeting and going to make a dot in Poland on Friday or Saturday?
N0W1K
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by N0W1K »

I think we are going to see ELVIS in the city :P
Member of the European Association of Eurobilltrackers (A2E)
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

magpie wrote:Is there someone travelling by car to the meeting and going to make a dot in Poland on Friday or Saturday?
You mean, there is some time left in the program to drive to and from Poland on Friday or Saturday? 8O
Otherwise I would like to get a dot there (I´ll be in Berlin from 17-21 August)
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
magpie
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by magpie »

eddydevries wrote:
magpie wrote:Is there someone travelling by car to the meeting and going to make a dot in Poland on Friday or Saturday?
You mean, there is some time left in the program to drive to and from Poland on Friday or Saturday? 8O
Otherwise I would like to get a dot there (I´ll be in Berlin from 17-21 August)
I'm not sure, but I think it would take about 3 hours to get there and back.

Return to “International EBT-meetings”