Tips about Greece,

Γράψτε εδώ τη γνώμη σας για το site, προτάσεις για βελτίωσή του, νέες ιδές ...

Moderator: Tiverius

De-Ker
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Tips about Greece,

Post by De-Ker »

Hi all hope still some greek users read this forum...

In about 3 weeks my girlfriend and i are going to take a trip true central/north greece.. It's a so-called fly drive. We fly to Greece, get a car over there and then drive through Greece...

This is our trip, which we are going to do.. We sleep at every place for 1 day and then go along...

• Delphi • Preveza or Paleros • Monodendri • Kastraki • Ypatis • Mati • Athens (2 days)

I just wanted to know if you guys know some do's and don'ts... What are flexible and able to stop allong the road between those villages... And of course.. How is Greece EBT-wise.. Is it easy to get small demotions and are there ATM's in every village?

Please let me know if you have tips, or things we can better not do.. please let me know.. Your help will be greatly appreciated!
debemaks
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Tips about Greece,

Post by debemaks »

Well I can't answer to all your question, I went to greece with my greek friend last year (Makedonia, Athens and Syros island). Regarding the thing to do and not to do I felt myself really confortable, like to be at home, "Italians & Greeks, one face, one race!"
Greeks are happy people, very polite and with the warm mediterranean charachter! Like all the mediterranean they are noisy, always laughting, shouting and beeping on the car (=like italians :wink: ).
You'll find a great food culture and also wines and typical alchoolics (ouzo) are incredible!
Regarding our sport (^^') I found ATM everywhere in Makedhonia region and also no problems for chainging small pieces into bigger and viceversa!
So go there and have a great holiday!
I collect and swap 2€ CC, PM for swap!!!!
Do you like card fighting games? Try this one!!
www.palerici.it - Skype: debemaks - my NIG stats
my EBTST stats
Matesi1976
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Re: Tips about Greece

Post by Matesi1976 »

Dear De-Ker, debemaks has virtually covered most of the topics I wanted to deal with. My top suggestion would be to be very careful while driving, since many Greek drivers do not feel compelled to follow common sense while driving, not to mention follow the laws!

Regarding ATM's, you will certainly find them in every small town. When it comes to villages, though, it would depend on whether it is a local centre, or whether there is substantial agricultural production there, hence an Agricultural Bank of Greece (ATE Bank) ATM will be available. ATM's in Greece usually dispense €20 :note-20: and €50 :note-50: banknotes. Getting large notes changed to smaller ones might be a bit of a problem in the countryside, especially early in the morning and in small stores. Also, it would be quite uncommmon to pay with €100 :note-100: banknotes for amounts smaller than, say, €20.

Lastly, if you come across a price quoted as "€10,85 Λ", the letter lambda (Λ, λ) stands for "λεπτό" or "λεπτά", i.e. "cent" or "cents". The Greek way of writing "euro" is "ευρώ" (uppercase: "ΕΥΡΩ"), which is pronounced "evro". Yet, when Greeks talk to foreigners, and even among themselves occasionally, they use the English pronunciation.

I hope this infromation was of help to you. Please let us know about anything else you might need; there are indeed Greek users reading this forum! :roll: :flag-gr: :)
"Control the coinage and the courts - let the rabble have the rest."
- Frank Herbert, Dune
De-Ker
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by De-Ker »

Thanks you guys, the tips where quite helpful

First debemarks, nice how you pictured the Greek and Italians together Especially because my girlfriend's room-mate is a Italian girl, I do understand what you mean with warm and noisy ;).
I went to greece before (kos and crete) so i have a picture of the greek people in general, However i expect the greek on the islands a bit more Tourist-minded as you know what i mean.. They are friendly but they also want your money (understandably) I expect the greek people from the mainland a bit more pure but i might be wrong.

Thanks Matesi about the tips regarding to "ebt-friendlyness" in greece. It's a bit how i expected it I'm just going to pay food, petrol and other stuff in 20 or 50 notes and get the smaller ones back, My gf might not like it when im only changing notes in shops.. And i am not planning to do that also.. But I'm going to bring lot's of notes from Holland to Athens and the rest of Greece. So we might have a hit in the future...

Thanks again.. I'm really excited! in two days I'm in your city matesi and revisit it again from the Friday the 17th till Sunday. In between w're going to travel around your beautiful county. Oh our hotel has view on the acropolis! ;) Sweet!
scb
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by scb »

It would be interesting to hear from the foreigners that visited Greece their impressions, the validity of the advice given on this board and any other stuff that perhaps they forgot to ask before visiting.
Flegiàs
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Flegiàs »

while working in the fields, my father sometimes found old coins in the ground, like these in the photo: an italian 10 cents of 1866 and a greek 10 lepta of 1869. those were the years of "latin monetary union", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Monetary_Union" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , a sort of ancient euro zone! the two coins are very similar, and their value was the same. have you ever found old italian coins in the fields of your country?
Attachments
img031.jpg
img031.jpg (84.36 KiB) Viewed 6246 times
Last edited by Flegiàs on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flegiàs
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Flegiàs »

the other side :
Attachments
img032.jpg
img032.jpg (77.23 KiB) Viewed 6246 times
Tiverius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Tiverius »

Personally, I've never seen any of these coins before! Thanks for sharing!
Η γνώση μιλάει,η σοφία ακούει.
http://www.rangers.gr
http://www.barcelonistas.gr
http://www.tiverius.blogspot.com

Return to “Συζητήσεις για το site και την παρακολούθηση των ευρώ (Ελληνικά)”