Announcements about Eurobilltracker or this forum

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, eddydevries, claudio vda, dserrano5, Nerzhul

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Planned minor service interruption

Post by avij »

Two things:

1) The web server and the database server will be rebooted this night in order to apply some security related updates to the operating system. This break will happen at about 06:00 Finnish time, the break should be over in a few minutes.

2) eurobilltracker.net which hosts some of the static files (such as country flags) will be unavailable on Tuesday between 21:00 and 23:00 (or so). DevNull (the service provider) will be rearranging their servers on that night. I'll switch EBT to serve the flags from the main server for that evening, so the only thing that might not work are some of the flags that are linked from the messages on the forum. There's no need to change the URLs for those images, the flags will eventually reappear when eurobilltracker.net is back up.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

The database server and the web server will be rebooted early Wednesday morning in order to apply some security related patches to the operating system. In addition to this, the web server requires some hardware maintenance, it'll also be done during this break. phpBB will be upgraded to 2.0.12 during the night, this may cause the forum to be unavailable for a while during the upgrade process.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

The EBT database server will be down for a short while on Thursday morning due to a minor hardware upgrade (1GB more memory).
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

The EBT (and EBTF) webserver will be rebooted in about half an hour in order to resolve an annoying performance issue.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

On early Sunday morning the following will happen:

EBT and EBTF will be offline for about 10 minutes while I install an additional fan to keep the web server a bit cooler.
After this, EBT (not EBTF) will be down for a somewhat longer time during an additional hardware upgrade for the database server.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

The saga continues..

On 17th March I tried to install an additional 1GB of memory to our database server. It didn't quite work as I had planned and I had to postpone the installation a few days to diagnose the problem properly. I did the diagnostics on 20th March and came to the conclusion that the memory module was indeed faulty. I've now obtained a replacement memory module and I'll try to install it tomorrow morning, thus EBT will be down tomorrow for a (hopefully) short period of time. EBTF will be available during the break, though.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

I'll increase the hard disk capacity of the EBT database server early tomorrow morning. Copying the files to the new hard disk will take perhaps an hour, and EBT will be unavailable during that time.

The EBT & EBTF webserver will also be rebooted in the morning in order to install a new Linux kernel.
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

In order to prepare the database for an upcoming major feature I need to interrupt the EBT service tomorrow night.

The update should not take more than 20 minutes and is scheduled for 2am MET on 2005/07/14. This break will not affect the EBT forum.

-M
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

I'll increase the hard disk capacity of the web server serving EBT and EBTF early Friday morning. Copying the files to the new hard disk will take perhaps an hour, and both EBT and EBTF will be unavailable during that time.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

There will be a ~10 minute break on early Monday morning, I need to rearrange the UPS arrangements a bit. This affects both EBT and EBTF.
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

EBT will be unavailable tonight for about 15 minutes because I need to rebuild a table that materializes some statistics. The downtime will begin around 2am CET. The forum will remain available at http://forum.eurobilltracker.eu
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

EBTForum will be unavailable on Friday morning at about 05 - 06 CEST. We'll upgrade the phpBB forum software to the current version, and also transfer the forum database to the same web server (it's currently on a different server). The server will also be rebooted in order to apply a Linux kernel update.

edit: OK, it turned out that it'd be better to make the forum server upgrade a bit earlier. The forum was unavailable between 03:25 - 03:35 CEST.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

The servers running EBT and EBTF will be rebooted on Tuesday morning at about 04:30 CEST in order to apply a few updates to the operating system.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

There will be a short hardware maintenance break for EBT webserver on Tuesday morning at about 8 am CEST.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

The ISP informed me that Tuesday morning is a little bit inconvenient for them and suggested to postpone the operation to Thursday.

So, we'll do the hardware maintenance on Thursday at 8am CEST then.

Return to “Announcements”