No connection to database since 31/10/2002 15:30

Announcements about Eurobilltracker or this forum

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, eddydevries, dserrano5, Nerzhul, claudio vda

EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

No connection to database since 31/10/2002 15:30

Post by EuroBillTracker »

Sorry about this. I had a seminar yesterday all day and finished at midnight so I did not notice it until Craco called me !

Anyway, I know what is causing the error. It's very surprising. It's not a coding error. It has to do with the hosting. We got a surge of connection errors yesterday right before 3pm. I suspect the hosting service cut us off which is madning so I have sent an inquiry email.

Although I am very busy at work I will do my best to sort this out fast
EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Update

I have emailed support twice and it is now too late to call them. I hope they'll be at work tomorrow or else this will have to go on until Monday.

I am not happy about this :evil:
EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

It's going to be until monday at least since there is no tech support at OVH.com on weekends...

I'm very very very angry...
EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

I think I forgot to mention that I have a full backup of the database on my computer as of monday...
but I'm pretty sure it's "just" OVH which cut off the DB...
EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

I can't fucking believe it

Here is a copy of the exchange with tech support. I'm too disgusted to translate it...
Veuillez nous excuse, cette fermeture n'avait pas lieu d'etre...
Désolé pour la gêne, nous rouvrons immédiatement votre base...

Cordialement,
Lionel

> Ok, mais pouvez-vous m'eclaircir sur un point : c'est la base qui est trop grosse (point 3
> ) ou c'est les requetes qui etait trop lourdes (introduction) ?
> Pour les requetes, pouvez-vous m'indiquer de quelle requete il s'agissait ?
> S'il s'agit d'un probleme de taille, ca me gene parce que je n'ai rien a ettoyer dans ma b
> ase et il me semble que pour les plans les tailles etaient illimites lorsque je l'ai achet
> e. Je veux bien, par contre, arreter les requetes lourdes sur cette base jusqu'à expiratio
> n de mon plan (debut 2003)
>
> Enfin, je trouve incroyable que vous n'avez meme pas pris la peine de m'envoyer un mail. O
> ctave a quand meme envoyé un mail à hosting !!
>
> Philippe
> >Bonjour,
> >
> > C'est bien nous qui avons fermé votre base. Les requetes que
> > vous faisiez étaient trop lourdes. Voici ce que nous allons faire :
> >
> > 1- vous mettez une page indiquant que le site est en travaux
> > et vous nous prévenez dès que c'est fait
> >
> > 2- nous rouvrons votre base et vous la \"nettoyez\" et s'il le
> > faut, vous optimisez vos scripts
> >
> > 3- vous enlevez la page de travaux et nous vérifions la taille
> > de votre base.
> >
> > Cordialement,
> > Lionel
> >
> >
> > > Il semble que j'ai encore acces au backup de ma base de dimanche dernier.
> > > Pouvez-vous me confirmer que vous n'etes pas intervenu pour bloquer mon compte ?
> > >
> > > >Bonjour la base eurobilldb de mon site associée au 90plan
> > > > eurobilltracker.com a disparu.
> > > >
> > > > Avez-vous effacé la base sans me prevenir ou dois-je considerer que je me
> > > > suis fais hacker ?
> > > >
> > > > Philippe
> > > >
Craco
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: I can't fucking believe it

Post by Craco »

EuroBillTracker wrote:Here is a copy of the exchange with tech support. I'm too disgusted to translate it...
In short, the story is as follows: our hosting company had problems with their sql-server of the shared hosting. The reason for these problems according to the hosting company were a couple of sites that have large databases and queries on those databases that took away all the resources. So the hosting company as a reaction on the problem took down 4 databases.

The database of Eurobilltracker.com was taken down also, but Philippe didn't get any e-mail from the hosting company, which is weird. They took us out without notifying the webmaster. When Philippe finally got hold of somebody of support, today, the guy of support first replied that Philippe should put up a "Site in maintenance"-page after which the hosting-guys would give back the DB and after which the DB could be cleaned and scripts fixed.

Philippe asked for clarification of which scripts were causing the problem. After that question support came back with their apologies, explaining that they took down the wrong site and that they are sorry for the inconvenience caused...

That's in short the story... Philippe, if there is anything incorrect, just correct me..

Greetzz,
EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

That's it, thanks for doing it... I just have no time these days :) "My" development team just shipped a release out on time, yeah !

Anyway, that's the story... The only scoop is that the support guy mentionned in passing that my database was "small" :)
EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Based on my logs, I am happy to say that in the past 2 weeks, we have had only one database connection overload :) Logs indicate this happened on 2002-11-23 at 22:17:44

This shows that the current caching mechanism is sufficient for the amount of traffic we are receiving. Which means we can handle more traffic when Jan 1st comes around and a few newspapers mention us (hopefully... ;) )

The database is 60MB big and the provider I use has backed down from going after big databases (meaning those close to 1GB). They have instead implemented a little tool that kills requests that take too long to execute either because they are too difficult or the database is too big

So... long live eurobilltracker.com ;)

Return to “Announcements”