Various EBT statistics can be posted here

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

lucilius
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

You already entered the bill

Post by lucilius »

Hello all,

I have had it a few times now that I received a message that my "new" bill could not be added to my bills because it is a mistake since I already entered it in the system.

Now most of the times, this is indeed just true, it is because I forgot I already entered it, however the last 2 times it happened, it wasn't....

How often has this already happened to you ?

Today I wanted to enter a 5 euro bill, but it turns out I already entered it 5 days ago... The thing is: this bill is 100% sure a "new" one from me as I got it today when I bought something.
The reason I am 100% sure is that 1) I only had a :note-50: in my wallet and I did not place the money I got back in the shop in my wallet but placed it into my jacket itself + there was no more money in my wallet nor jacket as the 50€ note was the last money I had.

I am also curious: is there still a way to enter the note anyway? It is the second time now that I am 100% sure I got one of my own bills back! I find it kinda funny and amazing at the same time, but I can't really register it, which I find too bad.
trezay
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: You already entered the bill

Post by trezay »

Hello lucilius,

That does happen sometimes, the note comes back to you after you entered it and spent it. People usually call those boomerang hits, for obvious reasons. You can't enter the note a second time, but it is possible to edit your comment to show that you received it again, like I did here. In total, it has happened two other times to me (here and here).
The FAQ wrote:Boomerang hits
Sometimes it happens that users receive bills which they already registered on EBT. Since you're not allowed to enter the same serial twice the only way to keep track of this rare event is to edit the comment of that note. Please ask our support team for assistance, and don't forget to include your username, serial number and denomination of the bill and the new comment in the email.
I believe the reason you can't enter the note twice is to prevent cheating (i.e. people pretending to find some of their old notes even though they just copied/pasted the serial number).
lucilius
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by lucilius »

trezay wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:01 pm Hello lucilius,

That does happen sometimes, the note comes back to you after you entered it and spent it. People usually call those boomerang hits, for obvious reasons. You can't enter the note a second time, but it is possible to edit your comment to show that you received it again, like I did here. In total, it has happened two other times to me (here and here).
The FAQ wrote:Boomerang hits
Sometimes it happens that users receive bills which they already registered on EBT. Since you're not allowed to enter the same serial twice the only way to keep track of this rare event is to edit the comment of that note. Please ask our support team for assistance, and don't forget to include your username, serial number and denomination of the bill and the new comment in the email.
I believe the reason you can't enter the note twice is to prevent cheating (i.e. people pretending to find some of their old notes even though they just copied/pasted the serial number).
Ah yes, I did not even think about the cheating part! I am too naive in that. :|
I was thinking there was some sort of way to show you had seen it twice, but writing it down in the comment is an option too.

I found it pretty amazing I got it back. I even remember where I spent it the first time! haha
trezay
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by trezay »

lucilius wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:00 pm I found it pretty amazing I got it back. I even remember where I spent it the first time! haha
Yes, boomerang hits are not very common, unless you live in an area where notes don't travel much (on an island, for example). Even though it doesn't count as a hit, I find it really interesting to see how long the note has stayed in the same area. If you're Dutch-speaking, it looks like the Dutch forum has a topic where users report their boomerang hits.
inDUS
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by inDUS »

Another situation which happens occasionally that you enter a note but already entered that number
with another value (e.g. :note-5: this time and last time a :note-10: ).
Some countries are more likely than others.
For me happened with (Europa series) U/U, V/V, XA/XA, S/S, Y/Y but also with the old series.

Return to “EuroBillTracker Statistics”