Hot-cold record? question for finnish users

Various EBT statistics can be posted here

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

i.love.euro
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Hot-cold record? question for finnish users

Post by i.love.euro »

Today I celebrate my 25th hit, third hit with Finland, and the fact that I have broken my personal distance record with 46 km. :D

I was wondering if it could be a record also in temperature change the note has experienced. As we hear on the news it is extremely cold in finland at the moment, maybe around -20°C or colder. Considering this note was entered by me in august 2004 in Florence, it must have been at least +30°C, likely even +34°C. Imagine this to be a temperature drop of about 50°C!!

I would like to ask the finnish what the temperature at Elimaki is at the moment, or maybe you know a site where i can find the data (Elimaki
23-1-2006 13.23 temperature)

I'd be interested to see other hits with similar or bigger temperature changes.

Finally can some finnish user translate for me the magical words that emppu 112 wrote in the comment field?

http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/index.php ... id=3448067
bhoeyb NLI

Re: hot-cold record? question for finnish users

Post by bhoeyb NLI »

i.love.euro wrote:I would like to ask the finnish what the temperature at Elimaki is at the moment, or maybe you know a site where i can find the data (Elimaki 23-1-2006 13.23 temperature)
http://www.fallingrain.com/world/FI/13/Elimaki.html
i.love.euro
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by i.love.euro »

thanks bhoeyb, i found the same site, but it only shows a prediction of the temperature from today onwards. (it actually doesn't seem to be THAT cold :? )
I'd like to know the registered temperature
Sport-Mass
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: hot-cold record? question for finnish users

Post by Sport-Mass »

i.love.euro wrote: I would like to ask the finnish what the temperature at Elimaki is at the moment, or maybe you know a site where i can find the data (Elimaki
23-1-2006 13.23 temperature)
When emppu 112 got that note from Elimäki, temperature was -12°C. Yesterday temperature was -26°C, so emppu was one day too late :wink: .

Translate for emppu`s magical words :) :

"from Osuuspankki (bank), bundled in the bank 19.01.-06"
Klazu
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Klazu »

It was really a very cold week last week. We had whole week around -20 and -30 degrees here in Joensuu. They had even -40 degrees some 50km from here. Believe you me, that's cold. We had -40 three years ago in Joensuu and when I went walking I had to return after 10 minutes, because I was totally frozen. Now it's only minus five and it's snowing.

Don't be scared of those number. One learns to stand them after a while. Body adjusts to cold and it doesn't feel that bad. 8)
Living away from Euro zone in the beautiful Vancouver, Canada since January 2012. Experiences and stories of living in here can be found in here (in Finnish).
lazza
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lazza »

Does it also get windy at those temperatures?

I always find that still, very cold air is not as bad as moving, slightly warmer air. I live on the North Sea coast, and the wind is often quite strong. Even though the air temperature is only maybe around 0 degrees, with the wind-chill, it often feels much much colder.
Viperazzi
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Viperazzi »

Shouldn't this topic be moved elsewhere, to Off-topic perhaps?
lazza wrote:Does it also get windy at those temperatures?
Yes, it did. Especially here in Helsinki the temperature of -15 felt like -30 because of the wind chill effect. That's so cold that walking for a few hundred meters got your cheeks frozen and red.
This same thing happens quite often during autumn. The air moisturized (can you say so about things not related to your skin? =)) by the Gulf of Finland, blowing in the chilly +10 degrees wind is very, very chilly indeed after the "warm" summer.
Klazu
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Klazu »

lazza wrote:Does it also get windy at those temperatures?
Usually not much. The weather is mostly clear then ans sun shines (but it's not warming anybody!). I'm now speaking of those -30 degrees temperatures. It's very rare to have strong wind simultaneously. Of course in the coastal areas it blows more, but here in mainland it's mostly calm then. Maybe the wind effect made it feel like -35 in Joensuu at worst. In Helsinki, where they had only some -15 to -20 degrees, the wind may have made it feel some -30, but that was probably just the peak moment. It just wasn't that windy there last week. If the chill effect would have been greater, it would have required a storm and that's nothing what at least I have heard of... ;)

You can find pretty cool (indeed :) ) interactive wind effect meter here by clicking "interaktiivinen taulukko" in the first sentence.
Living away from Euro zone in the beautiful Vancouver, Canada since January 2012. Experiences and stories of living in here can be found in here (in Finnish).

Return to “EuroBillTracker Statistics”