The English Thread in the Maltese section

Diskussjonijiet dwar is-Sit u dwar l-Ewro-tracking bil-lingwa Maltija

Moderator: doctorwho

Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: The English Thread in the Maltese section

Post by Ewri »

Petri6 wrote:I don't know if this is a right place to post it, but I just attended a week long conference in your country and just wanted to tell you all that I really enjoyed it. The landscape was amazing and the people were very nice and friendly. Too bad that it was this time of the year and from what I understood it's the coldest winter in a long time over there.
You are right Petri6.

It's the coldest winter in a long time. Average temperature is about 2 degrees less than what it usually is at this time of the year.
Glad you enjoyed our country. Next time you're around and have some free time, we can meet for a chat or a coffee if you want ;)
Petri6
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Petri6 »

Ewri wrote:
Petri6 wrote:I don't know if this is a right place to post it, but I just attended a week long conference in your country and just wanted to tell you all that I really enjoyed it. The landscape was amazing and the people were very nice and friendly. Too bad that it was this time of the year and from what I understood it's the coldest winter in a long time over there.
You are right Petri6.

It's the coldest winter in a long time. Average temperature is about 2 degrees less than what it usually is at this time of the year.
Glad you enjoyed our country. Next time you're around and have some free time, we can meet for a chat or a coffee if you want ;)
Actually I was thinking about a meeting with you, but since this was actually more of a business trip than a holiday and the schedule was very tight (averaged about three hours of sleep per night), I had to decide against it. But next time when I have less of a tight schedule we can definately do it. :)
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

Petri6 wrote:
Ewri wrote:
You are right Petri6.

Actually I was thinking about a meeting with you, but since this was actually more of a business trip than a holiday and the schedule was very tight (averaged about three hours of sleep per night), I had to decide against it. But next time when I have less of a tight schedule we can definately do it. :)
sure, and I was also away, myself
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

An helicopter AB-212 of Italian Navy on joint exercise with a Maltese OPV (offshore-patrol vessel).

http://www.kappaelle.net/img/news/5/200 ... 008_03.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
European soul, European pride.
O´Leipzig
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by O´Leipzig »

Thanks a lot to ewri for finding this bill: https://de.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=99127173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; !!!

This is our first hit and I especially enjoyed it because we got to know each other at the meeting in Frankfurt this year.

Cheers from Mühlheim on the river Main /Germany.

O´Leipzig
:flag-de: Platz 46 :flag-de:, :flag-eu: Platz 147 :flag-eu:, Hit-Rate: 107,9
Letzte aktive Hit-Partner: Asiamaniac 19 :flag-de:, P€ÑÐ¥£ 7 :flag-de:, inDUS 9 :flag-de:
Letzte passive Hit-Partner: ayhmeh 1 :flag-de:, Europa28 37 :flag-de:, GBS 18 :flag-de:
(01.02.18 7.10 Uhr MEZ)
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

O´Leipzig wrote:Thanks a lot to ewri for finding this bill: https://de.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=99127173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; !!!

This is our first hit and I especially enjoyed it because we got to know each other at the meeting in Frankfurt this year.

Cheers from Mühlheim on the river Main /Germany.

O´Leipzig
I'm also happy for this hit; well I am happy for every hit which is the first maltese for the other user. And yes, I agree that a hit is nicer when you actually know the person.
GWR7007
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GWR7007 »

Hi,

I'll be on the island of Malta with my English advanced course at the end of September (Monday to Friday, but arrival on Monday and departure on Friday so only 3 days). I don't know how much time I'll have for EBT, but I suppose that there'll be some time left. Therefore I would like to ask where I might find some EBT - friendly banks in Valetta, Gzira and Mdina. Are there counters? Are they willed to give out notes or change the sums (e.g.: 10x10€ in 20x5€ etc.) to people who don't have a bank account at that bank (I have to admit that I only have a bankbook at my local bank, so I'm not very flexible at all :wink: )?

As a coin collector: Do you know where I might get all Maltese coins (1cent to 2€) at once (and only paying 3,88€), without trying to receive them by shopping? What about special coins; can you find them in circulation, or not? How often can you find them?

To conclude: Could you please tell me, how many new Europa design :note-5: you can receive by shopping etc, because I have some old ones, but don't want to spend them in my area in Germany with a percentage of at least 95% Europa ones? If there aren't a lot of new :note-5: on Malta, I might spend them there (and maybe get some nice hits as well :lol: ).

Thanks for your answers

Bendix
my EBT profile

If you'd like to contact me, don't hesitate to write a PM to me, or to send an email. I can understand German (native language), English and Dutch :wink:
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

GWR7007 wrote:Hi,

I'll be on the island of Malta with my English advanced course at the end of September (Monday to Friday, but arrival on Monday and departure on Friday so only 3 days). I don't know how much time I'll have for EBT, but I suppose that there'll be some time left. Therefore I would like to ask where I might find some EBT - friendly banks in Valetta, Gzira and Mdina. Are there counters? Are they willed to give out notes or change the sums (e.g.: 10x10€ in 20x5€ etc.) to people who don't have a bank account at that bank (I have to admit that I only have a bankbook at my local bank, so I'm not very flexible at all :wink: )?

As a coin collector: Do you know where I might get all Maltese coins (1cent to 2€) at once (and only paying 3,88€), without trying to receive them by shopping? What about special coins; can you find them in circulation, or not? How often can you find them?

To conclude: Could you please tell me, how many new Europa design :note-5: you can receive by shopping etc, because I have some old ones, but don't want to spend them in my area in Germany with a percentage of at least 95% Europa ones? If there aren't a lot of new :note-5: on Malta, I might spend them there (and maybe get some nice hits as well :lol: ).

Thanks for your answers

Bendix
Hello GWR7007

First of all I hope that you will enjoy your stay in Malta.

Here is the answer for your EBT related questions.

Big banks like BOV and HSBC can be found in almost every city. They all have counters and will change for you. But I suggest that you do not present more than EUR 1000 in value every time. There are no banks in Mdina but there are both BOV and HSBC branches in Rabat, next to where the bus stops (bus stop called saqqajja) up the hill. You can also change at Banif Bank, which has only about 10 branches over the island. Aps Bank and the Central Bank will not change for you. Banks are usually open from 8.30 am till 13.30 or 14.00. You can also ask banks to give you some Maltese coins, but most of these will be from circulation and not shiny and brand new. Special coins are very very rare. When a new one is issued we have to buy them in rolls from the central bank paying EUR 80 or EUR 70 for a roll with a value of EUR 50. You can buy new single ones at Said coin shop in Zacchary Street, valletta and these usually cost EUR 6 or EUR 7 each.

We have very few EUROPA fivers around. A big chunk of our fivers, I estimate 80% are old ones. Atm's in Malta do not give out EUR 5 notes but only EUR 10, EUR 20 and EUR 50 notes.

If you need more info, please let me know.
GWR7007
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GWR7007 »

Hello ewri,

thanks for your answer.
Ewri wrote:If you need more info, please let me know.
It would be nice, if you could give me some more information. You'll find my questions in this message.
Ewri wrote:They all have counters and will change for you. But I suggest that you do not present more than EUR 1000 in value every time.
No, I didn't plan to change more than 1000€ at once. I'd say, not much more than 100-200€. Do they charge any money for changing?
Ewri wrote:Aps Bank and the Central Bank will not change for you. Banks are usually open from 8.30 am till 13.30 or 14.00.
Thank you, then I know where I don't have to go :wink: . But the opening times may be critical. As I said, I will be there with a group and there has to be some cultural aspect during our stay, meaning that there'll be programme in the morning (e.g.: guided city tour of Valetta) and if banks are only opened in the morning hours, it could be, that I'll find the banks closed :evil: . Is there any reason why banks close so early in Malta? (In Germany, they are normally opened until the afternoon, but some don't have counters any more.)
Ewri wrote:You can also ask banks to give you some Maltese coins, but most of these will be from circulation and not shiny and brand new. Special coins are very very rare. When a new one is issued we have to buy them in rolls from the central bank paying EUR 80 or EUR 70 for a roll with a value of EUR 50. You can buy new single ones at Said coin shop in Zacchary Street, valletta and these usually cost EUR 6 or EUR 7 each.
I didn't expect Maltese special coins to be so rare 8O .
I don't expect to get normal, brand new Maltese coins. If they are used, that might be okay as well.
Ewri wrote:We have very few EUROPA fivers around. A big chunk of our fivers, I estimate 80% are old ones. Atm's in Malta do not give out EUR 5 notes but only EUR 10, EUR 20 and EUR 50 notes.
That sounds good :lol: . Then, I'll take the old ones with me. I wrote the EBT-address on them. Would you say that they have a very shorter life as normal :note-5: ? I am just asking, because some banks sort out more than others, then there are differences from country to country, and so on.

Just another question. I was asked by the French user "Wechsler" to have a look at the following notes (he collects notes of the printers H, G, P and E):
:note-10: E009/X
:note-20: E008/X
:note-10: P019/X
:note-10: E006/X
:note-5: E010/L
:note-10: P017/X
:note-10: P016/X
:note-10: E005/X

Can you find them in uncirculated in Malta or not?

Thanks again for answering my questions.
my EBT profile

If you'd like to contact me, don't hesitate to write a PM to me, or to send an email. I can understand German (native language), English and Dutch :wink:
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

GWR7007 wrote:Hello ewri,

thanks for your answer.
Ewri wrote:If you need more info, please let me know.
It would be nice, if you could give me some more information. You'll find my questions in this message.
Ewri wrote:They all have counters and will change for you. But I suggest that you do not present more than EUR 1000 in value every time.
No, I didn't plan to change more than 1000€ at once. I'd say, not much more than 100-200€. Do they charge any money for changing?
Ewri wrote:Aps Bank and the Central Bank will not change for you. Banks are usually open from 8.30 am till 13.30 or 14.00.
Thank you, then I know where I don't have to go :wink: . But the opening times may be critical. As I said, I will be there with a group and there has to be some cultural aspect during our stay, meaning that there'll be programme in the morning (e.g.: guided city tour of Valetta) and if banks are only opened in the morning hours, it could be, that I'll find the banks closed :evil: . Is there any reason why banks close so early in Malta? (In Germany, they are normally opened until the afternoon, but some don't have counters any more.)
Ewri wrote:You can also ask banks to give you some Maltese coins, but most of these will be from circulation and not shiny and brand new. Special coins are very very rare. When a new one is issued we have to buy them in rolls from the central bank paying EUR 80 or EUR 70 for a roll with a value of EUR 50. You can buy new single ones at Said coin shop in Zacchary Street, valletta and these usually cost EUR 6 or EUR 7 each.
I didn't expect Maltese special coins to be so rare 8O .
I don't expect to get normal, brand new Maltese coins. If they are used, that might be okay as well.
Ewri wrote:We have very few EUROPA fivers around. A big chunk of our fivers, I estimate 80% are old ones. Atm's in Malta do not give out EUR 5 notes but only EUR 10, EUR 20 and EUR 50 notes.
That sounds good :lol: . Then, I'll take the old ones with me. I wrote the EBT-address on them. Would you say that they have a very shorter life as normal :note-5: ? I am just asking, because some banks sort out more than others, then there are differences from country to country, and so on.

Just another question. I was asked by the French user "Wechsler" to have a look at the following notes (he collects notes of the printers H, G, P and E):
:note-10: E009/X
:note-20: E008/X
:note-10: P019/X
:note-10: E006/X
:note-5: E010/L
:note-10: P017/X
:note-10: P016/X
:note-10: E005/X

Can you find them in uncirculated in Malta or not?

Thanks again for answering my questions.
No the banks will not charge you for changing notes to notes.
IF you intend to change only EUR 100 or EUR 200 at one go, you have a 95% chance that the note will be put back in circulation unless the URL is too big and obvious.
The denominations you mentioned are all very common in Malta. We have very little new uncirculated notes but you can find many of those combinations in very good condition.
GWR7007
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GWR7007 »

Hello ewri,

thanks for the information you gave me. I had some time to change some notes at banks, which were easy to find (except for the Banif bank branches which I didn't find). So in case you'd like to look for my notes, I'd like to tell you, or anyone else travelling to Malta in the near future, where I spent them:
80x :note-5: (mainly old urled ones and some Europa ones) changed at Bank of Valletta, Republic Street 45 into :note-10: without problems
Then, several notes at the hotel reception, in Gzira, Valletta and Mdina itself, and 3x :note-50: into :note-10: at the HSBC branch in Gzira (I took the :note-10: home). Advise: Don't do it on a Tuesday or Friday; they have coin-changing-days then, means you're standing in a queue and nearly everyone has a bag of coins with him/her or needs approximated 2 kilos of them in 1-10 cent coins. And with two open counters, well, it'll take its time :roll: .

Another important thing to add for non-Maltese travellers: If you use the buses, first of all: don't travel in large groups, the buses will be full. It's a waste of time, waiting for an empty bus, if you don't want to spend the whole day waiting for a bus (exception: Valletta bus station, but only because most buses start their routes from there).
The second thing is: Be prepared to have coins, paying with notes bigger than :note-5: on the bus itself is not appreciated, as drivers cannot give change (at least it happened to me).

Except from that, I enjoyed my stay, and I really love Kinnie. Unfortunately, its not available in Germany :( .

Maybe I get a Maltese in the future :) , if I didn't get any last week.
my EBT profile

Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

glad that you enjoyed your stay here and that you did not find any problems with changing notes. The coin days... they are not the same everywhere. Where I work, we accept them every day and we have a separate queue for them.

The buses, yes, they are our weak point and Kinnie is our strong point, together with our pastizzi and twistees.

Now it's my job to find some of your notes.
GWR7007
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GWR7007 »

Ewri wrote:Now it's my job to find some of your notes.
As I might have mentioned before, most of my old :note-5: have the EBT address written in the lower left corner on the backside of the note. Then I spent some :note-10: , :note-20: and :note-50: at the reception of the hotel. I hope, they spent them at a bank (then I assume HSBC branch, Gzira), and didn't give them to other guests. Well, we'll see.
Europa notes I brought from home were mainly special ones for Germany (N/NA, S/S, Z/ZB). They, of course, don't have the EBT address on them. Additionally, I entered some notes I received from my classmates, they were mostly V004/VA and V005/VAs, or U/U ones (U004/U, U005/U, U006/U).
Other special notes were:
:note-20: N003B1 Y020
2 or 3 :note-20: G/P Trichet
:note-20: M009G5 V114 Duisenberg
:note-20: P006I4 X066 Duisenberg
:note-10: K007I5 T556 Draghi
:note-10: J007/ S Trichet
:note-10: P003C2 X155 Duisenberg :arrow: P/X Duisenberg are rather common on Malta :? , but it's in quite good condition

I just wrote them down, so that you might find them easier :wink: . I spent some other notes as well, but they're not so rare that they'll be found that easy.

Furthermore, I found and saw some interesting notes/coins on Malta (they do not deal with the topic, but I wanted to report them anyway):
:note-5: :flag-cy: E009H3 G000, received from a classmate in Rabat, before he could spend it on the bus back to Gzira.
2€ :flag-fi: 2009 commemorative coin, in Gzria, after buying 4 bottles of Kinnie and a bottle of water.
German 1 pfennig coin (pre euro currency) in the same shop, asking for Maltese 1 cent coins. Those Pfennigs will never die out :D ! Unfortunately, they didn't have any Maltese 1 cent coins :cry: and I didn't want the Pfennig as well. I have a whole bag of them at home :P .
my EBT profile

1971o
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by 1971o »

GWR7007 wrote:Furthermore, I found and saw some interesting notes/coins on Malta (they do not deal with the topic, but I wanted to report them anyway):
:note-5: :flag-cy: E009H3 G000, received from a classmate in Rabat, before he could spend it on the bus back to Gzira.
2€ :flag-fi: 2009 commemorative coin, in Gzria, after buying 4 bottles of Kinnie and a bottle of water.
German 1 pfennig coin (pre euro currency) in the same shop, asking for Maltese 1 cent coins. Those Pfennigs will never die out :D ! Unfortunately, they didn't have any Maltese 1 cent coins :cry: and I didn't want the Pfennig as well. I have a whole bag of them at home :P .
I were in Malta in september 2010 for two weeks and it was hard to find a 1 cent coin. Later on holiday I used to ask in every pub and restaurant if I may check the tip bowl for that, the answer was YES every time :D At the end I found one maltese 1 cent coin, very worn but that didn't matter to me! :D

You people in Malta are very friendly people and I enjoyed my stay there with all aspects, I hope I can come there again
GWR7007
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GWR7007 »

1971o wrote:Later on holiday I used to ask in every pub and restaurant if I may check the tip bowl for that, the answer was YES every time :D At the end I found one maltese 1 cent coin, very worn but that didn't matter to me! :D
I did so as well. The only difference was, that I was asked by a French user to bring him Maltese coins in good condition (if possible: looking unused) and getting the 1cent in nearly unused as impossible :( . So I had to ask him, whether he's willed to accept used ones, but he seems to be on holiday or so, and I didn't receive an answer.
But, I must have received ~8-9 1 cent coins in total, so still have some for me :mrgreen: . As you wrote, people always looked for Maltese cent coins every time I asked them. Even change in Maltese coins wasn't a problem (after a polite question). It seems, that the Maltese inherited the friendly/polite behaviour from the Britons who ruled Malta.
And that's a difference: If you are in Germany (as I am), people aren't that friendly. Ask for coins and you'll get a no, or the shop assistants look as if they wanted to say, "don't even think of asking anything not related with the goods we sell".
my EBT profile

Return to “Diskussjonijiet dwar is-Sit u dwar l-Ewro-tracking (Malti)”