33 tonnes of Maltese euro coins exported

Diskussjonijiet dwar is-Sit u dwar l-Ewro-tracking bil-lingwa Maltija

Moderator: doctorwho

melitikus
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

33 tonnes of Maltese euro coins exported

Post by melitikus »

A total of 700,000 sets of Malta euro coins have been exported to various European countries in a joint venture between Lombard Bank and MaltaPost. The sets, weighing almost 33 tonnes, were flown to Germany on a chartered Airbus A300 freighter.

The export followed strong interest by overseas collectors.

"This export order confirms the very strong interest in Malta euro coins" said a spokesman for Lombard Bank and MaltaPost, which jointly operate philatelic and numismatic initiatives.

The coins are displayed in an attractive folder which also features technical details about the coins and information about Malta.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi ... s-exported
melitikus
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by melitikus »

nispera li dan il forum ma jkunx biss biex titkellem bil Malti imma anke dwar issues li ghandhom x jaqsmu ma Malta u l Ewro - bhal din ta hawn fuq - avvolja bl Ingliz
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

It seems that there was invasion by European tourists who happened to be in Malta in December too. They were asking for the Maltese starter packs.

German EBT users, be on the lookout.
presidente
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by presidente »

I bought in e-bay a series of your coins for 12 Euros...very very nice!!! :D :D :D
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Asiamaniac »

Are there still Maltese coins in circulation? :) (Just wondering: In San Marino they also issue their own coins but when I was there last year they were only available in souvenir shops and NOT at face-value, of course. Maybe same situation in Cyprus?)
Meine Angst, dass die Autokorrektur einmal etwas Obszönes ausspuckt, wichst täglich.
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

we are still having some new Maltese ones but now, there are many coins from other countries, particularly 1c.

The used 5c, 2c and 1c are already becoming very dirty.

80% of coins in circulation are Maltese ones.
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Asiamaniac »

That's fine, but probably not for long. I guess that quite some tourists will take coins home for their collections and those of families, friends, neighbours, ...
Meine Angst, dass die Autokorrektur einmal etwas Obszönes ausspuckt, wichst täglich.
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

let's see what happens after summer now.

I do not think they will vanish though, but maybe we will have 50% local, 50% foreign in a couple of years' time.
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Asiamaniac »

No no, they will certainly not vanish. But as you put it, the ratio between national and foreign coins will definitely change.

Wonder when I will get my first Maltese coin out of circulation - until now I even did not get a single Slovenian, let alone a cyprus one...
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re:

Post by Asiamaniac »

Asiamaniac wrote: Wonder when I will get my first Maltese coin out of circulation - until now I even did not get a single Slovenian, let alone a cyprus one...
Until today no Maltese out of circulation HERE. But in March, after winter EBTM, Maltese National bank was kind enough to sell me Maltese coins to the face value of 253 Euro. :D To make public happy, I put them by and by into circulation. Guess, that quite some collectors in Wiesbaden, Flörsheim am Main ("taucher-city") and Frankfurt am Main are happy to have received some coins out of circulation...
Grufti
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Re: 33 tonnes of Maltese euro coins exported

Post by Grufti »

My 2 - 3 big hand full of nearly mint Maltese coins which I got during my 1 week holidays from bus riding & paying entrance fees using :note-50: and :note-20: bills during my visit in February 2009 I will keep them and will not distribute them 8)
Früher ging es uns gut. heute geht es uns besser...
Es wäre aber besser , es ginge uns wieder gut !

Roi Danton, PR 315
Sharatan3
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Sharatan3 »

I left a small bunch of maltese coins in Tuscany, especially in the Florentine area. :D :D
joergb30
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by joergb30 »

This week I got a lot of "new" shiny coins with 2 cent, 5 cent and 10 cent denomination.
On the other side almost 50 percent of the €-coins which I collected came from :flag-it: :flag-fr: :flag-es: :flag-de: and it seems that more than 50% of the 1 cents are "pooling coins" from :flag-nl: )
(by the way, many thanks for the patient cashiers in your banks and shops :D )

Return to “Diskussjonijiet dwar is-Sit u dwar l-Ewro-tracking (Malti)”