Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Yok's

Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Working groups of the Association

Post by Phaseolus »

As proposed by Magpie in another post :
Currently there have been 4 working groups established:
Phaseolus wrote: a. Technical maintenance (Avij)
b. Web development (nerzhul)
c. External communication (Phaseolus)
d. data base (de-jo)
I would like to volunteer in one of them. But I really don't know which skills are needed. Could the chairmen of the respectice groups give a short scratch on what skills are welcome (I know every volunteer is welcome ;-) ).
I suggest to ask the 4 coordinators to introduce shortly their respective working groups and to explain what they expect from eventual volunteers.

I'll try to post here and explain the activities of the working group "external communication"
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

The objectives of the Working Group “External Communication” are to organize communications to the EBT-community (e.g. newsletters) and the communication outwards to get new members.

It is therefore the objective of the WG to find volunteers in order the newsletters to be published on a regular basis. Nowadays, EBT counts 128.000 users; 4260 EBT’ers are also registered on the forum. There’s a clear need to organize communication towards all EBT-users.

In parallel, communication needs to be organized to the outside world. Communication can be made via press releases when needed and this has been the purpose of a sub-forum called EBT Media group. The weakness of the current communication to journalists is the lack of money for financing media communication. For example, I have built up a database of emails of journalists; but, from the contact I’ve had with journalists they told me that they would prefer a press release to be sent to them by post, as most of the time their email address is full of spam.

In some countries, the WG could also make proposals to organize communication via other means, such as advertising. This is again requires some funding.

In other terms, the WG “External Communication” should first determine some of its priorities and individuals should propose projects. If financing would be required, the project will be presented to the Board of Directors for former approval. In no case money could be spent without previous agreement of the BoD.

In summary, priorities of this WG could be to focus on the countries having the lowest concentration of EBTers (such as Cyprus, Ireland, Greece, Spain, France, Italy…) or to countries in the period of accession to the Euro (Slovakia in January 2009). For these priorities projects should be built and if finance is necessary the Board of Directors will make their decision.

From a personal point of view, the reason why I agree to pay an annual fee of 10€ is that I would like that such money would be spent in order to increase the number of trackers in the hope to get more hits ! I hope this WG will help reaching this goal.

Obviously the WG will also act in the countries with high EBT-concentration.

(PS : definition of EBT-concentration : number of EBters/total population)
Licht & Feuer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: Im Osten des Westens der auch als Süden des Nordens betrachtet wird

Re: Working groups of the Association

Post by Licht & Feuer »

Unfortunately the informations about the other working groups are still missing and the EBTM is comming closer and closer...

I'd like to join the group, that is responsible for graphic designs and layouts... drawing and improving flags, maps, banners etc. is something where I guess that I can be helpful but which group is dealing with these issues - web-development :?:
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Web development

Post by Nerzhul »

The web development working group will take care of the web front end of EBT. Our tasks focus on improving and maintaining the existing user interface, but also evaluate, design and implement new processes, statistics and other features. Specifically, we also maintain the code base of EBT.

Group members do not have to have any programming skills (although they would be useful of course), but need to bring a bit of time and motivation to design and discuss the future user experience of EBT. If you are willing to not only post your idea to the "todo list" thread but also discuss its feasability and implementation this working group is your place to go :-)

Of course, we'd be happy to get members with any of the following skills:
- graphical design
- code (PHP, Javascript, Flash)
- APIs, mashups (e.g. Google Maps/Earth)
- information management (processes, data modeling)

For the time being I will organize this WG. This mainly means that I will (have to ;-) ) take care of the communication between this WG and the Board of Directors, manage releases and assist new members. If required I can also assign tasks and manage sub-projects.

I'd be happy to receive your application. If you're in doubt if this WG is something for you, just give it a try.

Current members of this group:
  • :flag-de: Nerzhul
  • :flag-fi: avij
  • :flag-de: Licht & Feuer
  • :flag-de: magpie
  • :flag-at: Klapotec
  • :flag-fi: elizier
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter
suntzu
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by suntzu »

I`m available to help.
:flag-pt: :flag-fi: :flag-fr: :flag-si: :flag-nl: :flag-de: :flag-at: :flag-es: hitting since March 2007
Anti-Stress Game
magpie
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by magpie »

I think I could join the the web developement wg. Although I'm not a professional, I could do some coding in php or Javascript.
de-jo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by de-jo »

WORKGROUP DATABASE – community
PROPOSAL of activities.
The purpose of this workgroup is to organize, coordinate and improve the quality of the EBT-database.
Three major work fields are the responsibility of the workgroup:
1. The user database: The purpose is to avoid the malicious usage of the database, especially by entering fake notes (see suspicious users). The idea is to create a workgroup of local trusted EBT-users, responsible for the control and follow-up of the users. They take action when suspicious entries are detected by themselves or announced by users(by mail or in the forum). Per country (or group of countries depending on language and size) 1 member of the user-control group tries to make contact with the suspected suspicious user, asking for explanation. Depending on the answers of the suspicious user, the user-control group can take a decision. If no answer is received, the suspicious user is again asked for info a second and even a third time. If no explanation is given, the entered notes are retrieved from the database, as is the suspicious user. The decision of expulsion of the database is done by vote on a 50% + 1 vote. This is actually a proposition to be discussed by the group in formation.
2. The notes database: Same purpose as group 1 but focused on the quality of notes entered and the quality of the hits. This group coordinates the activities of the ….
3. The database communication group. Purpose is to improve the communication to the existing users, to maintain them active by sending on regularly basis a newsletter with information about the community and the database. The newsletter workgroup is the core group of this workgroup and has to be reactivated.
Next steps:
A. Formation of the groups - asking for interested volunteers and coordinate the start-up
B. Agreement of the process to eliminate suspicious users.
C. Activation of the newsletter group. May be the newsletter has to be send in English only to avoid delays and heavy organizational work! The content of the newsletter has to be diverse and not only linked purely to the technical aspects of the EBT-site, but also on activities of EBT-members, special entries, special hits, special contacts… This to increase the community feeling!
klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by klapotec »

de-jo wrote:WORKGROUP DATABASE
What about the location database? I'd say that's a fourth major field.
Yelverdack
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Yelverdack »

Do we have to know english very well to be candidate ?
"To be is to do". Socrates
"To do is to be". Jean-Paul Sartre
"To be do be do". Franck Sinatra

Loi de Bell : Tout corps plongé dans une baignoire entend alors le téléphone sonner.
Loi de Zenone : La file d'à côté avance toujours plus vite. Si tu changes de file, celle que tu viens de quitter deviendra alors la plus rapide.
wisi
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by wisi »

I want to volunteer for the technical work group as i am quite skilled in this field, now quite a bit about the background of ebt due to discussions with avij.
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

suntzu wrote:I`m available to help.
Just to clarify, does this apply to the web development WG? You're welcome to join :-)

The web dev WG will start its work after the GA in Ljubljana. I'd like to have a few legal issues clarified first, mainly the transfer/licensing of intellectual property currently used by EBT from its owners and how content created by the WG in future will automatically be legally usable by EBT. Hopefully these issues will be solved within the next few days.
Yelverdack wrote:Do we have to know english very well to be candidate ?
It would help, but isn't strictly required for the web dev WG. I'm sure we'd find a way, especially when some other group member speaks your native language.
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter
Castanhola
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Castanhola »

de-jo wrote:WORKGROUP DATABASE – community
PROPOSAL of activities.
I will like to volunteer for the WORKGROUP DATABASE. :D
My EBT Profile
Best portuguese ranking: 2 (2022-09-22)
Best international ranking: 74 (2024-03-18)
My EBTcheck statistics
My nigmm statistics
Link for my EBTST statistics on my EBT profile
Licht & Feuer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: Im Osten des Westens der auch als Süden des Nordens betrachtet wird

Re: Web development

Post by Licht & Feuer »

Just wanted to make my application official and find me already in the WG-list - thanks :D
Nerzhul wrote:If you are willing to not only post your idea to the "todo list" thread but also discuss its feasability and implementation this working group is your place to go :-)
Indeed... though my IT-skills are more than limited, I'm positive that I'd be able to do a bigger part of the work to realize the ideas I like to bring in the discussion (if they'll become accepted) :)

If it's possible to work in more than 1 WG, I also like to apply for the user-part of the database-group.
Last edited by Licht & Feuer on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
presidente
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by presidente »

de-jo wrote:WORKGROUP DATABASE – community
I would like to participate in this workgroup
sen-chuan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re:

Post by sen-chuan »

Phaseolus wrote:The objectives of the Working Group “External Communication” are to organize communications to the EBT-community (e.g. newsletters) and the communication outwards to get new members.
You know, I'm in. :)
[EBTCkeck - my EBT Stats aggiornamento/updating: 06.03.2024

Return to “European Association of EuroBillTrackers”