Discussion about the European Association of EuroBillTrackers

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Yok's

de-jo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

General Assembly 22 august in Vienna. AGENDA

Post by de-jo »

To all the members of the Association!
The yearly General meeting of the members of Association Européenne des EuroBillTrackers is planned to be hold on
Saturday morning 22 august - (10-12h) in Vienna during the EBT meeting there:
Agenda:
Introduction
Overview of activities different WG
Financial situation
Proposals for changing some Statutes of the association
Demission + decharge of the old Board of Directors
Vote of new Board
Installation of the new Board

May I draw your attention that this meeting can only be attended by regular members having paid their yearly fee.

Theo De Jonckheere
president
Puupenni - Wooden Penny
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Re: General Assembly 22 august in Vienna. AGENDA

Post by Puupenni - Wooden Penny »

Can we have some more information concernig the "Proposals for changing some Statutes of the association", please.

Yours

Puup W enpen
wisi
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by wisi »

Well, to start some discussions about the statutes, I therefore suggest the following changes (first as a collection of ideas, which will be transformed into formal suggestions if they are not completely disliked here. I am a strict democrat, thus I think the statutes could be more democratic and can put more power to the assembly, thus:
1. The assembly selects the president, vice presidents and cashier directly. Everyone can suggest and candidate for these seats.
2. Every one can vote on each suggestion, independent on nationality.
3. The board of directors is completed by a member for each county having members at the association. If a county has more than 1/10 of the paying members of the association (payed fees on the day of the assembly), a second member can be suggested. The suggestion of a member is bound to the residency of each member, thus a resident of e.g. belgium might suggest a dutch resident for the belgian seat (and of course vice versa and on any combination). Proxies allow to take action for the country of the proxy principal. Thus: Change the link from the national seats from residency of the board member to the residency of the person who suggests.
4. Founding members are no longer born members of the board
5. Limiting the number of proxies to two (besides own vote). Allow non-members to take proxies from members (thus having up to two votes in total).
6. All board members are elected every year. Re-election is allowed without limits.

Motivation: As stated above, I think the statutes of the association should be more democratic. The president and the other member of the executive board seats should have the support of the majority of the association, thus they should be elected by all members and directly by the board. The same applies for all members for the association, they should have the support of the majority not only for the country the live in as they should act for the whole community. Big countries should get the chance for a second seat. Especially for the smaller countries should have the possibility to suggest someone they trust from another country, if they don't have a person who is willing to take the dues of a seat in the board. As a comment to rule 4, as my personal guess is: The former born members will have the support to be elected, but should be authorised democratically. The fifth rule is from my own power on the last assembly. If I recall it correctly I had 3 proxies, thus I had a too large impact on the vote for the german seat (as no one of other countries could vote and in total there where 11 votes allowed for germany my four where too much). Well, rule 6 might sound like a rule to have discontinuity in the board, but I expect that a least a significant number will be re-elected every year.
Hangman
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by Hangman »

Are there any plans to give members, who won't be in vienna, some chance to participate at the assembly? I know it's not really needed because of the proxies on one hand and the minutes of the assembly on the other hand, but it would be really nice if there would be e.g. a video transmission of what's happening (which is also technically manageable, i think).

Again: I know this is not needed and anyone could go there, but there might be some (as me) who can't make it and would still be really interested in what is happening there. I can't promise to use it, but i really would like to get the chance if i'm not going to have some other plans on that day (and i think there would be more people interested).
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

wisi wrote:Well, to start some discussions about the statutes, I therefore suggest the following changes (first as a collection of ideas, which will be transformed into formal suggestions if they are not completely disliked here. I am a strict democrat, thus I think the statutes could be more democratic and can put more power to the assembly, thus:
1. The assembly selects the president, vice presidents and cashier directly. Everyone can suggest and candidate for these seats.
2. Every one can vote on each suggestion, independent on nationality.
3. The board of directors is completed by a member for each county having members at the association. If a county has more than 1/10 of the paying members of the association (payed fees on the day of the assembly), a second member can be suggested. The suggestion of a member is bound to the residency of each member, thus a resident of e.g. belgium might suggest a dutch resident for the belgian seat (and of course vice versa and on any combination). Proxies allow to take action for the country of the proxy principal. Thus: Change the link from the national seats from residency of the board member to the residency of the person who suggests.
4. Founding members are no longer born members of the board
5. Limiting the number of proxies to two (besides own vote). Allow non-members to take proxies from members (thus having up to two votes in total).
6. All board members are elected every year. Re-election is allowed without limits.

Motivation: As stated above, I think the statutes of the association should be more democratic. The president and the other member of the executive board seats should have the support of the majority of the association, thus they should be elected by all members and directly by the board. The same applies for all members for the association, they should have the support of the majority not only for the country the live in as they should act for the whole community. Big countries should get the chance for a second seat. Especially for the smaller countries should have the possibility to suggest someone they trust from another country, if they don't have a person who is willing to take the dues of a seat in the board. As a comment to rule 4, as my personal guess is: The former born members will have the support to be elected, but should be authorised democratically. The fifth rule is from my own power on the last assembly. If I recall it correctly I had 3 proxies, thus I had a too large impact on the vote for the german seat (as no one of other countries could vote and in total there where 11 votes allowed for germany my four where too much). Well, rule 6 might sound like a rule to have discontinuity in the board, but I expect that a least a significant number will be re-elected every year.
Dear Wisi,

as asked in my PM, I hope you get make a proposal in the form of a modification of the current statute ; please use the text of the statutes and make suggestions.

Now, I'd like to comment on the points that you suggest :

1, a "democratic" selection by all members seems to be very nice, as you are calling it "democratic". The current system is also democratic, as is the Presidential election in the US. Your proposal is fine to me, but I would like to warn that this system might cause problem when elections will be more tensed : imagine that the President elected by the Members have not the support of the Board Members,... then there will be a very painfull one-year-presidency...
2, This point is already valid : there is no such limitation linked to nationality.
3, I suggest to get rid of the limit to one seat per nationality : all members could vote for all candidates and there could be several candidates from one same country.
4, I do believe that we should remember that this point was part of the Gennevilliers Agreement.
5, I disagree : you propose to limit the number of proxies to two but you give the opportunity to non-members to have proxies. In order to participate to the General Assembly you should be a member of the association, so non-members should not attend and not have proxies. It's only pure logic : if non-members can vote by this trick, then what is the advantage to become member ?
6, Having re-election only on half the board gives a certain point of stability to the Board. Again, this is a protection for when the situation can become more tensed...

these are my comments ! :mrgreen:
de-jo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by de-jo »

I follow the points:
1. I think Bruno is right. The president has to be a person from the Board who has to coordinate the working of the Board. If necessary, for personal reasons for example, the president can have to be replaced without needing a general assembly. Important also..point 5 - some continuity!
2. an 3. Lets get rid of the narrow national thinking! Lets vote for persons....- But the only limitation is to restrict the board to 12 members (or 15)?
4. Correct Bruno!
5. Proxys can be difficult to manage...But this will become an issue due to the 'international' aspect of our Association. We need to make it possible for all members to express their vote!
6. I follow the remark of Bruno....some continuity is needed...In practice, it are mostly the same members who will invest in the Board year after year....It is work!

Theo
de-jo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by de-jo »

Final Agenda I think:

Agenda:
Introduction
Overview of activities different WG
Financial situation
Proposals for changing some Statutes of the association