Which languages do you know?

Tell us who you are, where you from, etc...

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

Grufti
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Re: Which languages do you know?

Post by Grufti »

My mother language is German, but I speak English and 中国话 (Mandarin) fluently as well
I know some "bad expressions" in Cantonese and in Taiwanese, and can read French.
In school I studied old greek and Latin. Add to I have some vey basic ideas of Japanese and Korean language
Früher ging es uns gut. heute geht es uns besser...
Es wäre aber besser , es ginge uns wieder gut !

Roi Danton, PR 315
debemaks
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by debemaks »

I can speak:

Italian: mother tongue
English: very good and fluent, some little mistakes while writing (used for work daily)
German: Able to understand and speak on easy conversation, with some grammar error but definitely understandable, rusty as I don't use it very often. Written with many mistakes.
French: just learned the basic but able to understand 85% and to reply 70%, I use it for work and people seems to understand me. Written is absolutely bad! I can read everything and understand it.
Spanish & Portuguese: never studied but I'm able to understand 90% (for italian is pretty easy + my dialect has a lots of french, spanish and portugues words), I can read and understand it 95%
Russian: studied the very basics, able to survive and make veeery easy conversation. I can read almost like latin charachter.
Polish: on progress, my girlfriend is polish, I can follow the main topic of a chat is slow spoken, I know few words and some survival sentences.
Modern Greek: able to read almost like latin charachter, I know some words, an some turistic sentences.
Rumanian: albe to follow the subject of the discussion easily (even on higher level, not only colloquial), but not able to reply. I know just some words or sentence (Rumanian is half of Latin origin), I can read everything and understand 50%.
Hebrew and Arabic: able to read and to write (even if I don't understand what I'm reading), able to translitterate and to say few sentences and many words.

I also know sentences and many words in many other languages, like Finnish, Chinese, Japanese, Swedish, Dutch, Slovenian, Croatian
I collect and swap 2€ CC, PM for swap!!!!
Do you like card fighting games? Try this one!!
www.palerici.it - Skype: debemaks - my NIG stats
my EBTST stats
Celtium
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Celtium »

Galician -> native
Spanish -> native
Portuguese -> I don't speak it, but I read and listen it very very well
English -> I can speak it good, too many years studying it.
RedRiver
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by RedRiver »

Really, really fun....

So....

Italian: native
Français: Some french friends said I speak as a native, but I don't dare to state that....
English: If we can name english that strange grammatical construction we use on internet....
Espanol: Just three days in Madrid, an I was able to survive... I read currently in spanish and I understand quite well. I'm able to speak also, quite well.
Romanian: I think I would have a real problem if I'd have to reply or speak, but I can easily understand the sense of a written romanian statement, and I can understand spoken too....
Russian: More than some words....
Modern Greek: More than some words....
Slovenian, Macedonian, Serbian, Croatian etc.: Once you know russian, you can understand also loads of words in these languages.... and also some in Polish, Bulgarian, Czech and Slovakian.... but my knowledge of these languages, I'm working on it....

It could be fun if we can start up some basic language courses, here on EBT.....
Tracciatore di Fonte Nuova
laurentina
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by laurentina »

Swiss German: mother tongue
German: mother tongue
English: fluent
Spanish: fluent
French: quite good - but forgetting because of lack of use
Portuguese:I get along because of Spanish, but no idea of grammar :(
Italien: Same as portuguese
dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by dserrano5 »

Spanish: native.
English: conversation.
Perl (programming): it's my second language ;).
Portuguese: it's a really easy read. Being from Galicia (north-west of Spain, at the north of Portugal) helps so much. I follow the portuguese EBT forum.
Italian, French, Esperanto: I can barely read those. I follow the italian EBT forum, didn't dare to click on french ;).
13375p34k: 50m3 d14l3c75 700 :P.
Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai and some more: I can tell those apart :).
Akai
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Akai »

Last edited by Akai on Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pipocadoce
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by pipocadoce »

Someone :wink: told me to come here to talk about myself ... Well...
I speak Portuguese (my native tongue).
I know Spanish (quite similar to portuguese)
English i understanding a little, speaking less and writing it, although the lack of practice may let me down sometimes
Italian: Easy to understand something. Speaking is too hard. Writing is impossible!
Smile ;o) always 76 :flag-eu: 62 :flag-pt: ,4 :flag-de: ,3 :flag-nl: ,1 :flag-si: ,2 :flag-es: ; 2 :flag-fr: ; 1 :flag-be: ; 1 http://pt.eurobilltracker.com/img/flags/Thailand.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :flag-th:
my profile
Postcrossing
Postcrossing forum
Habbakuk
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Habbakuk »

English: Native tongue.
Mandarin Chinese: Intermediate-Advanced. Studied 2 years of it in university and use it all the time on business trips.
German: Intermediate. Can hold a conversation.
CNGL
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by CNGL »

I know the following languages:
Spanish (native language)
English (At an advanced level)
French (Intermediate)
Catalan (Intermediate, but gets an extra point as I learned this language myself!)
And I can understand Galician, Portuguese and some Italian.
I can speak Cat and Dog too.
Leudimin: EBT FTW!
Basque euronotes: :note-5: Bost euro - :note-10: Hamar euro - :note-20: Hogei euro - :note-50: Berrogeita hamar euro - :note-100: Ehun euro - :note-200: Berrehun euro - :note-500: Bostehun euro
brewerhki
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by brewerhki »

Finnish - mother tongue
English - learned from 10 years old, can speak and write easily, used in work and freetime almost daily... still lots of things to learn... prefer speaking more like british accent than american, more or less succesfully
Swedish - well... learned at school when I was kid aged 13-19 or so... usually trying to speak Swedish in Sweden, but almost every time they change to English very quickly as my Swedish sucks
German - learned 1,5 years around 15 years ago, but mostly forgotten... still find it easier than Swedish as in Germany there are more places where people doesn't speak English than in Sweden
Estonian - can understand quite much as it is close to Finnish, but quite impossible to speak or write
Polish - few dirty words, thanks, drunken language, etc
Danish/Norwegian - can understand written things as it is close to Sweden, but very hard to speak or understand spoken stuff

few basic things (thanks, one beer please, cheers, etc) from at least following languages:
Czech, Slovenian, Italy, Spanish, Catalan, France, Lithuanian, Latvian, etc

couple of years ago I spent 4 days in Brussels while was so sick to spend most of the holiday in sofa to watch tv... i found out, that dutch-subtitles started to be very understandable because of knowing lots of words from Swedish, English and German... would be easy language to learn at least written stuff (spoken language might take much more time)

and something to add to the end... it was very interesting to travel in northern-Norway, where I found few small languages close to Finnish (written village names looks very understoodable, but local Finnish tourist info worker said words are not like they sound like ie. different meanings like Lepp is not Leppä)... also Hungarian sounds like Finnish, but didn't understand a single word...

have been thinking lately, that maybe i should start to learn some new language, Estonian might be easy and also useful as going there several times a year, but who knows when and when i get my ass off to start actually doing something for it
Ashido44
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Ashido44 »

French: native language
English: I've learned it during 9 years at school, so i'm not so bad but i have a lack of practise.
Dutch: 6 years at school, i speak sometimes dutch at work but i think that i've a lack of practise, too.
Spanish: 3 years at school, this is the language that i speak the less. And i've no opportunities to speak it.
German: i've started German evening lessons on 2nd october 2012. It's harder than other languages that i speak but i find the lessons really interesting and funny.

I'm also able to understand (a little) or read Luxembourgeois. But i can't speak or write it. It's like a German, Dutch and French mix. But I never had lessons, so...
Die Bündelmischer, die meisten Belgier sind, haben gar keine Ahnung, was der EBT-Geist ist
The mixers of bundles, which are most of them belgians, don't have any clue, what's the EBT spirit
Les mélangeurs de liasses, belges pour la plupart, n'ont aucune idée de ce qu'est l'esprit EBT
De Bundelsmixers, die meeste Belgen zijn, hebben geen idee wat de EBT-geest is
DDragonNk
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by DDragonNk »

Spanish: Native
English: I am learning english
Catalan: Advanced level
GWR7007
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GWR7007 »

German: native
English: good knowledge of school English
Latin: well, you don`t speak it, learned at school, forgot most of it.
Dutch: learning by listening to NOS Journaal, other Dutch websites, Dutch dictionaries I need to understand some words I don`t konw
French: my brother learns it,my French is not more than yes, no , My name is. Cannot understand it, nor speak it. Reading works sometimes, especially with road signs :)
my EBT profile

If you'd like to contact me, don't hesitate to write a PM to me, or to send an email. I can understand German (native language), English and Dutch :wink:
lars2001
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by lars2001 »

:flag-nl: Dutch
My native language

Image English
I'm learning English at school, but I also learn a lot of English at the internet, tv etc. :)

:flag-fr: French
I'm learning French at school

:flag-de: German
Just a little bit! I live around 5 kilometres from the German border so when I'm there I learn a bit. Next year I'll learn German at school, too.

Image Frisian
My dad is Frisian, so as my grandmother, my uncle, my cousins! So when I visit them we talk Frisian.

Image Russian
I'm learning a bit Russian. I already know the Cyrillic alphabet! Don't know a lot of Russian ;)

And I want to learn :flag-es: Spanish ;)
I only know Dutch and English fluently, but I'm learning the other languages!
Lars, 15 years old, Terborg, Netherlands :flag-nl:
I speak :flag-nl: :flag-uk: :flag-de: :flag-fr:
My profile

Return to “EuroBillTracker Users”