Ancestry

Tell us who you are, where you from, etc...

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

lazza
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Ancestry

Post by lazza »

Does anyone on the forum research their ancestry? I have been doing quite a lot to find out about my ancestry, and it's been really very interesting. However, I have realised how limited most of my family lines are! To some extent, my family is more interesting than most because I have 25% Scottish ancestry* and 25% from the London area from my father, and then the rest (my mother's side of the tree) from the North West of England (Cheshire and Derbyshire). Looking at my wife's ancestry, she is 100% from Lancashire, and mostly within a radius of about 10km! (*possibly one line of the Scottish ancestry links back to Ireland through our Reid family heritage)

For our Derbyshire line, we can date back to 1604, which I find pretty cool 8), and I now know 15 of 16 great great grandparents, 21 of 32 great great grandparents, and even 14/64 great great great grandparents (and then 2 of my great great great great great great great great great great grandparents from the early 17th century!!)

I was speaking to some colleagues in the US recently about this, and realised how interesting their ancestry can be. One colleague had grandparents who were Russian, Italian, Irish and German! Another had three Scandinavian grandparents but from 3 different countries, but was also 1/8th Chinese!

I guess there must be some greater degree of "mixing" on the European mainland than there is on our Island here :lol: especially around some of the national borders which have changed som much over the last few centuries. I guess it must also make it a lot harder to track down ancestors if you need to research in different countries.... :roll:

So, what does your family tree look like? What nationalities have come together in history to make YOU?!
japh
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Ancestry

Post by japh »

I tried doing that a couple of years ago and managed to trace one of great grandfathers to Margate in Kent in the 1890's where he gave his occupation as "retired Naval Officer". I found that both he and his wife were from Co. Galway but as I couldn't find which parish I could trace no further. I can trace another great grandfather back to Co. Wicklow.
The problem with tracing ancestry back further than 1910 in Ireland is that you need to know which parish a person was born in as there are no national records. The information gathered on all censuses prior to the 1910 census were pulped during the first world war to make paper.
dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by dserrano5 »

Knowing that I have some roots in Chile and Bolivia I'm tempted to start some research about this, but I keep putting it off.
sinehera
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by sinehera »

Hi,
in 17th/18th century, one half of my ancestors lived in Mühlviertel (northern Upper Austria) and in Waldviertel (north-western Lower Austria), the other half at that time was all in Moravia (now Czech Republic). I did lots of genealogical research first for myself and my wife (now having a Familytreemaker-file with more than 6.000 relatives), then also for other people on a commercial basis (more on that on my website http://www.history.co.at" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ; I already researched the Upper Austrian roots of an English family, but also for instance Upper Austrian roots for people from New Zealand, the USA and others). Amongst the ancestors of my daughter are for instance two men who were executed in 1532 at order of the archbishop of Salzburg. Amongst my relatives are for instance Marianne Willemer, a friend of Goethe, but also some persons executed in a witch trial in 1695.
Greetings from Linz / Upper Austria
HeRa from sinehera
Last edited by sinehera on Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
R/J
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by R/J »

People have done genealogical research into my family (at least the direct male line) and even published two books about it. The first person with my last name appears in 1531, and even his father and grandfather are known to history.

The odd thing is, that in those almost 500 years, my ancestors never moved more than about 10 kilometers from the hamlet that is my last name.

Of my other ancestors, I know less. My grandparents on mother's side are from Deurne and Liessel (not far from where I always lived) but my other grandmother is from Posterholt in Central Limburg.
My NIG stats have finally disappeared. My EBTST stats are still available.
JiiPee72
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by JiiPee72 »

I have done genealogical research for over 10 years now, mostly my own roots, but also research for others. I know my father's side roots back to abt. 1520 and some other lines also to 16th century.
Some of my roots go to Sweden and Germany, but mostly my ancestors have been living in the middle part of Finland.
Some of relatives have moved to USA in the beginning of the 20th century, and most events of their lives are still a mystery to me.

My homepage have only a short ancestrytree.
http://www.kolumbus.fi/jyrki.puttonen/genealogy.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JiiPee72/Jyrki
claudio vda
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by claudio vda »

Me too I have a nice story to tell!

One of my anchesters was from the Alps and he was one of the 1000 volunteers who in 1860 left Genova with Giuseppe Garibaldi for sailing to Sicily and supporting a local revolt, and then... they made Italy! :roll: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expedition_of_the_Thousand" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But this guy was probably a nice guy because he stopped during the march toward the North and went to Puglia, where he felt in love of a local girl and they marrried; several years later, one of the nephew went in Rome where one of his sons married my grandmother, from Sardinia.

Oh yes! :D
My statistics on EBTCHECK (Latest update 11.03.2024)
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

Long time ago, I performed a research in order to construct my family tree... I remember it was a great (and cheap!!) Christmas present for my dad.

The result? this: :mrgreen:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18813432/%C3%81 ... B3gico.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Jes on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

Jes wrote:Long time ago, I performed a research in order to construct my family tree... I remember it was a great (and cheap!!) Christmas present for my dad.

The result? this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18813432/%C3%81 ... B3gico.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :mrgreen:
Oh! By the way: I forgot mentioning that the different "drawings" have a special meaning. Of course.

For instance: there is a piano and some "music" (on your left hand side) :arrow: my great-great-grandma played piano, as well as hes son and her sister.

Also, there is an inclined tower (to your right) :arrow: of course: Italy :lol: :lol: (Ok, I know it may not be the most representative of Italy, but it was easy to draw)... that branch of my family was from :flag-it:

Near the inclined tower, there is a big eagle eating a snake :arrow: family members from Mexico

Also, there is another eagle (this one looks stronger, although it is slightly smaller) :arrow: family members from Germany

There is a table, some papers and a pen (to your left again) :arrow: some kind of "scribe" (centuries ago it was a job, it is quite surprising)

And so on... really my dad enjoyed his Christmas present :D
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
lazza
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lazza »

we were lucky in our searching because of a few things:

my maternal grandfather was interested in these things 30 or 40 years ago, and had done a lot of research into his own ancestors; his own grandfather, a farmer, had moved his family from a beautiful valley in Derbyshire over the Penines into Lancashire/Cheshire, where his father was then born. But he had researched back a few lines of ancestors to early 1700s.

and my paternal grandmother's father was one of thirteen children, and his father had also been one of thirteen, and the whole family back to my great great great grandfather is listed with birth dates in the front of a family bible.

Also, my ancestors' names are mostly not very common names, so mostly are easier to identify. My wife's mother, unfortunately, was a Smith, so it has been very hard to find anything further back than her great grandparents!
sen-chuan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by sen-chuan »

Ciao, I've fiund this topic only today... Well, my husband's ancestors were French. My husband's cousin have made up a family's tree from 1700 or so. Half of these ancestors left France for Genova, where they went aboard to Brasil. He brings to mind that their great grandfather was still in contact by mail with his cousins somewhere in Brasil. The other half reached Eraclea on Adriatic Sea (Italy), where they still live.

My mother and my father's ancestors did not move from Venetian area... although two uncles of mine left Dalmatia in their childhood to live here.
[EBTCkeck - my EBT Stats aggiornamento/updating: 06.03.2024
debemaks
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by debemaks »

Wow that's nice, my dad has issued a book with the story of my ancestors since XIIIth centory, and we believe it is almost impossible to go any more back as before the surnames were not existing.
For the moment being I'm the 17th descendant from my oldest ancestor. Moreover all my ancestrals are entered in the book of the Italian Noble Families and I'm mentioned there also as last descendant of my family (for now... ). :mrgreen:
I collect and swap 2€ CC, PM for swap!!!!
Do you like card fighting games? Try this one!!
www.palerici.it - Skype: debemaks - my NIG stats
my EBTST stats
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

debemaks wrote:Wow that's nice, my dad has issued a book with the story of my ancestors since XIIIth centory, and we believe it is almost impossible to go any more back as before the surnames were not existing.
For the moment being I'm the 17th descendant from my oldest ancestor. Moreover all my ancestrals are entered in the book of the Italian Noble Families and I'm mentioned there also as last descendant of my family (for now... ). :mrgreen:
Impressive! I would almost say: Congratulations for belonging to your family :mrgreen:

Very nice indeed! :D

Return to “EuroBillTracker Users”