Dollar keeps falling against Euro

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus, Crazy Bob, eddydevries, Math Murderer, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft

When will the Euro have its introduction value back?

1 March
13%
1 August
13%
1 January 2004
9%
Never
22%
When US starts war against Iraq
44%

Total votes: 32

MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Dollar keeps falling against Euro

Post by MDeen » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:50 pm

For some time now, the Dollar keeps falling in value. Anyone care to take a guess when the Euro will have its introduction value back? That was 1 Euro = 1,14 US$ íf I'm correct. We're now on 1 Euro = 1,056 US$

Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Tiger » Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:46 pm

I don't know, it could be very soon, it could be never...
But I think it's almost certain that it will drop a lot when George starts his little game with Saddam...
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)

Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Skylimit » Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:58 pm

Could it be possible that the USA want to invade Iraq merely for diverting the attention from the disastrous economic conditions for which the Bush adminstration (and also the Fed) is at least partly responsible. :!:

Could it be that the dollar is not just falling because there is going to be war (nice excuse) but also because financial markets think that the worst is yet to come :?:

Could it be possible that this idiot has been elected with the support of only 20% of the American population (since only 40% go vote, and Bush got a bit less than half - we did not forget)

I'm in a poetic mood ... spent about 4 and a half hours in traffic today :evil:
Time is on our side ...

Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

no war!!

Post by Fons » Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:42 pm

Never!! euro is good!! :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Something else,: USA most never start a war against Iraq, who thinks the opposite?

Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier » Sun Jan 26, 2003 11:14 pm

I just wonder what would happen if the Oil producers wished to be payed in euros instead of dollars... The USA could not play with the International markets as they do today.

O.

Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Skylimit » Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:11 pm

Olivier wrote:I just wonder what would happen if the Oil producers wished to be payed in euros instead of dollars... The USA could not play with the International markets as they do today.

O.
Well, I think the British did not want the Euro to succeed because it could hurt their good friends the USA ... With Britain on board the Euro could become more important than the dollar ... Is that why they are not in ?

I may be seeing ghosts, but wasn't there trumendous pressure on the EU to let Turkey join, knowing that this would weaken the EU ... Now Bush is flirting with our new would-be members ... (Poland) calling us the Old Europe ... does he want the enlargement to fail by using the differences between France-Germany and Britain on one hand and Poland and also Turkey on the other hand ??

If the enlargement is a succes, and all countries join the Euro, and there comes a time to announce that the USA have a huge deficit, where would that leave the dollar ?

Sometime I do get carried away :twisted:
Time is on our side ...

Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier » Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:14 am

Skylimit wrote:Well, I think the British did not want the Euro to succeed because it could hurt their good friends the USA ... With Britain on board the Euro could become more important than the dollar ... Is that why they are not in ?
I think they are not in just because of they pride to remain British. As soon as their interest is to join, they'll join. It may come very soon. They trade more with Europe than with the USA. Remaining outside is not a good solution. They have no impact of the ECB decisions...
Skylimit wrote: I may be seeing ghosts, but wasn't there trumendous pressure on the EU to let Turkey join, knowing that this would weaken the EU ... Now Bush is flirting with our new would-be members ... (Poland) calling us the Old Europe ... does he want the enlargement to fail by using the differences between France-Germany and Britain on one hand and Poland and also Turkey on the other hand ??
I am sure he wants it. The US politicals are afraid of a new european independance... look at the reaction when France and Germany say no to a war in Irak... They are furious.

USA like a weak and devided political EU...
Skylimit wrote: If the enlargement is a succes, and all countries join the Euro, and there comes a time to announce that the USA have a huge deficit, where would that leave the dollar ?
:twisted:
That day is not close, because the newcomers won't get the euro soon... It'll take a decade, on my opinion.

The day Japan announces it wants to be reimbursed by the USA (in euros, not in US dollars)... I move back to Europe, because I can imagine the impact on the canadian economy!!! 90% of the canadian exchange is with the USA!

Olivier

eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by eurobillsandcoins » Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:20 am

Today I'm selling euros at 1.72 for low transactions and 1.67 for high ticket. I buy euro at 1.62 for low ticket and 1.65 for high ticket.
(high ticket +5000 CAD approx 3000 euro)
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.

Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier » Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:22 am

eurobillsandcoins wrote:Today I'm selling euros at 1.72 for low transactions and 1.67 for high ticket. I buy euro at 1.62 for low ticket and 1.65 for high ticket.
(high ticket +5000 CAD approx 3000 euro)
What is the situation with the canadien dollar?
I've never seen it so weak! (less than 4FF)

O.

eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by eurobillsandcoins » Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:27 am

I sell U.S at 1.55 for low transactions and 1.50 for high ticket.
I buy it at 1.49 for low and 1.50 for high ticket. The difference on $100 is 50 cents.You can have the option of being paid in Canadian or U.S on FX transactions.I post US and Canadian rates.
I'm thinking of posting euro rates as I have euro coins

Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier » Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:47 am

eurobillsandcoins wrote:I sell U.S at 1.55 for low transactions and 1.50 for high ticket.
I buy it at 1.49 for low and 1.50 for high ticket. The difference on $100 is 50 cents.You can have the option of being paid in Canadian or U.S on FX transactions.I post US and Canadian rates.
I'm thinking of posting euro rates as I have euro coins
:-)

And what kind of customers do you have? Tourists? Business people?

eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by eurobillsandcoins » Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:55 am

They're a lot of commercial customers buying in mass amounts for reserves. I sell drafts as well. I get tons of tourists and causal collectors.

Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:03 am

eurobillsandcoins wrote:They're a lot of commercial customers buying in mass amounts for reserves. I sell drafts as well. I get tons of tourists and causal collectors.
Reserves?
Euro is now a currency the people keep, like the US dollar?

Poutsi
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Poutsi » Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:36 pm

Olivier wrote: Reserves?
Euro is now a currency the people keep, like the US dollar?
I've heard that in Russia, where the usual reserve-currency has been the almighty buck, the euro is used more and more (at least in the westernmost parts).
Aina ei voi voittaa :/

Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Skylimit » Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:04 pm

Olivier wrote: USA like a weak and devided political EU...
That's a good summary ... and the British are helping them ...
[By not joining the Euro, but also by stating they would help Bush to invade Irak with or without the UN, and before consulting the other EU-members]

Nevertheless, I would like the British to come on board, we will all benifit.
Time is on our side ...

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”