Demonstration this saturday?

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus, Crazy Bob, eddydevries, Math Murderer, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft

Phaedrus42
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Demonstration this saturday?

Post by Phaedrus42 » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:00 am

I'm going to the anti-war demonstration in Amsterdam this saturday. I've heard there will be many other demonstrations all over Europe on that day. So, is anyone else going? Why, or why not?
They create a desolation and call it peace.

Tacitus (100 AD)

wouter
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by wouter » Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:23 pm

I've heard about hte deomonstration but I'm not going I' very busy at the moment and I just can't make time to go to such a protest but I warmly support their intensions.
The Force is like Duck-tape, it has a dark side, a light side and it holds the universe together.

Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Antti » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:22 pm

There is a demostration in turku on Saturday, but sadly I've got other plans so I'll be in Tampere so I can't make it to the demonstration.
I would go there if I could

BossaNova
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by BossaNova » Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:25 pm

I'm going to be at the Porto's demonstration.. there will be others in Portugal, at least Lisbon and Beja.. but I guess in all major cities there will be something...

is very important that this global manifestion anti-war gets really big, it is still possible to stop the war.. if only everybody could do some small effort, like going to a manif...

anti-war=anti-massacre

bn :arrow: 8)

Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Demonstration this saturday?

Post by Fons » Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:43 pm

Phaedrus42 wrote:I'm going to the anti-war demonstration in Amsterdam this saturday. I've heard there will be many other demonstrations all over Europe on that day. So, is anyone else going? Why, or why not?

I dindn't even knew about the demonstrations :oops: :oops:
But I have other things to do so I can't go.
I also live very far away from Amsterdam although werkendam (=is the village I live in) has a bit like the same name.

Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Skylimit » Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:19 pm

and where is your gouvernment ? :cry:
The Belgian gouvernment has done what was required ... but they are pretty much isolated in merely expressing the opinion of the majority of the European citizins (including the British)

I won't demonstrate though. :roll:
Time is on our side ...

nodisch18
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by nodisch18 » Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:13 pm

Skylimit wrote:and where is your gouvernment ? :cry:
The Belgian gouvernment has done what was required ... but they are pretty much isolated in merely expressing the opinion of the majority of the European citizins (including the British)

I won't demonstrate though. :roll:

Please don't get me wrong!! I also think a war is the worst sollution to this problem, but I think it is a shame that Belgium, France and Germany aren't supporting Turkey if they make a request to send some defensive weapons! We all are members off the NATO so we should really help them if they need it.
"The world is like a book, those
who don't travel only read the first page
"

emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by emmem » Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:54 pm

I agree with the helping if they need it. But right now there is no need to help them.

In fact the real threat for Turkey is the United States.

The Nato has been created to defend any member country that is attacked. But what happens if a member starts a war of its own is something completely different.

In fact the blocking of support at this time is in reality an attempt to prevent a War. At least it will slow down the war.

Right now the US seems to have the behaviour of a mob. And, as a best selling writer once wrote about the intelligence of a mob : The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its least intelligent member divided by the number of people in the mob.

nodisch18
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by nodisch18 » Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:00 am

emmem wrote:I agree with the helping if they need it. But right now there is no need to help them.

In fact the real threat for Turkey is the United States.

The Nato has been created to defend any member country that is attacked. But what happens if a member starts a war of its own is something completely different.

In fact the blocking of support at this time is in reality an attempt to prevent a War. At least it will slow down the war.
I know that they (belgium, germany and france) don't want that it seems that they support a war. But I think that it's very wrong if you don't support your allies! Even if you send some defensive weapons you can still protest against a war!

And I also agree with you that in fact the USA is the real threat today... In fact last year the USA made it possible to invade the Netherlands if there are US-war-criminals to be convicted in the International Judge Court (I don't know if this is the right name, I hope you understand it nevertheless) :roll:

But nevertheless I think we really should support Turkey in their request!
"The world is like a book, those
who don't travel only read the first page
"

Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Skylimit » Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:32 pm

nodisch18 wrote: Please don't get me wrong!! I also think a war is the worst sollution to this problem, but I think it is a shame that Belgium, France and Germany aren't supporting Turkey if they make a request to send some defensive weapons! We all are members off the NATO so we should really help them if they need it.
Turkey suddenly feels threatened because Bush told them to.
There is no threat. The only threat will be there when the American invade Irak, using Turkey as their basis.

So supporting Turkey right now, is equal to starting preparations for the invasion. Everybody can see that. Starting preparations equals admitting there is definitely going to be a war.

Now, really, the Belgian point of view doesn't matter at all. Moreover, for the Americans, the opinion of NATO and the UN doesn't matter at all, and this has been underligned by our veto, for the whole world to see, that the USA will act on their own, together with Britain, with or without NATO and with or without the UN. Nice allies.

It should also be very clear that this war has absolutely nothing to do with the war against terror, as it was announced alrealdy before the sept 11 attacks, that the US should control the oil resources.

The position of France and Russia, may even have more to do with their oil interests as well. And the Irak regime is also just a bunch of crooks.

So, bravo Belgium, but very naive too, because it does not change at thing, and it may even hurt us quite a bit. :cry: but bravo, anyway. :roll:
Time is on our side ...

emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by emmem » Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:00 pm

Some reading material here :?

Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Tiger » Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:44 am

I think the USA are a far more dangerous threat to the world than Iraq, North-Korea or any other country.

America does what it wants to do, with or without the help of their allies, with or without the NATO, with or without the UN.
They are the ones that say those countries can't have mass-destruction weapons, but why can America have them?
In my eyes Bush is as dangerous as Houssein!
No stupid morron should be allowed to have nuclear or biological weapons!

America make the rules but don't follow them themselves!
They have a law to attack Den Haag when an American is convicted there, they don't follow Kyoto, ...
The rulers of the USA are just a bunch of cowboys who don't have any respect for the rest of the world.
OK, They do have power, but I think they're exagerating.

Europe can't compete with America when it comes to military equipment, because Europe believes humanity has already developped that far that we don't even need weapons.
I think war is always the worst sollution you can come up with, and civilized people just don't need war.
If everyone is a little tollerant, and not so agressive, there would be no need to fight. Conflicts can always be solved by talking to eachother, I think.

But I'm affraid this conflict is already that big, that it isn't possible anymore to solve it with words.
This is not something that's just going on the last months, this is a dispute that already lasts for decennia!

It's about dictators, islam, terrorism,... Why not involve Isreal? They also have mass-destruction weapons... Then you get to the Jews, you get to World War II, etc...

I really fear this war!
I think it will not only affect Iraq, it will spread through the whole Middle-East.
And then we will get more and more terrorists in America and Europe.

This clash really has gone too far!
I'm affraid a war is difficult to avoid, but if it's really nescesary, I hope it won't last for long, and it won't cause much human misery.
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)

emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by emmem » Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:31 pm

If you look at the entry of Sunday, 12 January 2003 on this site, the USA should relocate its troops to attack North Korea.

Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Tiger » Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:14 pm

hehe
check this out :):)
lol :-)
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)

Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier » Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:55 pm

nodisch18 wrote: I think it is a shame that Belgium, France and Germany aren't supporting Turkey if they make a request to send some defensive weapons! We all are members off the NATO so we should really help them if they need it.
I am sure that if Turkey was attacked, France, Belgium and Germany would help. The fact is that there is no threat on Turkey and the USA just want NATO to increase pression on Saddam...
I support the franco-germano-belgium position. They just don't want to follow the process of war.

The demonstrations all over the world show that it is not France, Belgium and Germany which are isolated, but Bush and the pro-war politicians!

By the way, here in Montreal, people support the position of France and Germany in the United Nations! There has never been so many demonstrators here! Even in North America, people are against a preventive war!!

Olivier

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”